oldstrummer

I Am Really Jazzed. Er, Happy.

oldstrummer    1

For the first time in forever, I added an electric guitar to my stable. I mean a _real_ electric (I've had an archtop Gibson electro-acoustic for years). I went pretty large and bought a Fender Strat - Eric Clapton model ("soft V" neck, Vintage Noiseless™ pickups, etc. You can check the specs here, if you want). It's a perfectly wonderful guitar, and I'm learning just how different playing electric is from playing acoustic.

So, here's what happened: I was practicing on it, and offhandedly hit the bottom two strings on an E chord. This brought to mind one of my favorite songs from the 60's, "Pride of Man," a Hamilton Camp tune as performed by Quicksilver Messenger Service. I quickly figured out the structure of the song, and wrote it down to put on my music stand. I also went online (thank you, Internet!) to confirm my transcription. I've now been practicing this song for the last few days and am having a ball!

Last night, I sat down with an acoustic and tried playing it and quickly came to the realization that this song, at least the way I hear it, is not an acoustic song, but comes across on an electric just perfectly! I may revisit the acoustic and see if I can re-interpret it (Camp and Gordon Lightfoot did acoustic versions of it, so maybe that's re-interpreting an interpretation?). Right now, though, I've had an epiphany -- electrics AREN'T just high-volume acoustics. And that's a powerful lesson to have learned!

oldstrummer    1

oldstrummer,

Nice guitar! Sounds like you founder a winner.

Mike

mset3, you have no idea! :yes:

Now I've gone on a G.A.S. tirade. I've added a Les Paul (Classic Rock II, limited edition) and will soon be hoisting a 60th anniversary Tele.

If nothing else, I'm leaving an inheritance to my daughter and granddaughter. :shifty:

mset3    158

mset3, you have no idea! :yes:

Now I've gone on a G.A.S. tirade. I've added a Les Paul (Classic Rock II, limited edition) and will soon be hoisting a 60th anniversary Tele.

If nothing else, I'm leaving an inheritance to my daughter and granddaughter. :shifty:

oldstrummer,

I saw your photo on the other thread. You've got quite a collection. I have a Tele Thinline and wouldn't trade it for anything.

I just read PrimerGuitar's review of the 60th Anniversary Tele. No wonder you can't wait to get it. It looks like a winner.

Mike

oldstrummer    1

Thanks, Mike. It's hard to keep up with multiple forums (fora? fori?) so I apologize for the late response. Not that one was expected, but there you go.

As you know by now, the 60th Anniversary Tele is everything I'd hoped. And it put me on a spree, so now I've "balanced" my collection: I have a new Strat, and an old 1994 collector's item. I now have a new (limited edition Tele) and the 60th Anniversary collector's item.

I think I'm done buying guitars. For the time being, anyway. I may need to buy a new home to put them in, however... :guitarguy: