Sign in to follow this  
gasbag

Question About Capacitors/Tone Controls

Hi there,

For the two of you who actually read my posts you may remember I began fooling around with lap steel

guitar earlier this year. I bought the cheapest one I could find, made it playable and off I went.

I fell in love with the darn thing.

Since then I have replaced the $5 single coil pickup it came with and put a fairly good Epiphone humbucker

I had laying around in it. Sounds really good except of course the tone is now a bit muddy.

I need to replace the .050 cap already in the guitar with something down around .020.

My question is:

I have two capacitors on hand.

One is a .022uf/400volt. One is a .022uf/100volt.
Am I correct in assuming the voltage in this application is irrelevant and I can use either one?

The caps are identical except for the volt rating.

I have soldered and done small repairs all my life so I can handle that part.

I know very little about electronic components.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Larry

gasbag,

The voltage rating on the capacitors will not make any difference and in this case you can use either one. Voltage only matters when the voltage on a capacitor is under rated for the circuit. Guitars are low voltage devices. Something like 0.50 volts. I would use the capacitor that is smaller in physical size if you have space limitations.

Mike

P.S. I should add that voltage does not affect the tone. The capacitance rating of the capacitor does that.

gasbag,

The voltage rating on the capacitors will not make any difference and in this case you can use either one. Voltage only matters when the voltage on a capacitor is under rated for the circuit. Guitars are low voltage devices. Something like 0.50 volts. I would use the capacitor that is smaller in physical size if you have space limitations.

Mike

P.S. I should add that voltage does not affect the tone. The capacitance rating of the capacitor does that.

Thanks Mike. I appreciate it.

I thought I was right but I needed verification. Thanks.

I am going to use the smaller one too. It is about 1/4" square. That's the 100 volt one.

The other is the size of my foot. Well, almost anyway.

I am going to tear this old guitar down during the next week and replace the cap and pots, bought new pots for it too.

Hopefully it will sound a bit better. It's really muddy sounding at the moment when I use the tone control.

If it works out ok I might even post a recording. Lucky you............................. :escape:

Have a good day,

Larry