Jeremy Guiles

Quick improv in B minor / tone testing

Figure before my lunch break is over I'll go ahead and post a quick improv I did last night while trying to dial in a "mean n dirty" sounding blues jamming tone. There are a number of mistakes and poor phrasing abound, but that's why I'm here I reckon ;) To hopefully develop my playing into something more coherent.

Criticisms & suggestions on playing and/or tone are definitely welcome :)

Mean and dirty? You nailed it, Jeremy! It sounds like you've been playing for quite a while. You say 'a quick improv' - it would take me months to create an improv as good as that - if you've heard any of my 'efforts' here, you will understand what I mean!

And.... what is going on???? Or not going on in this case - why hasn't even one member posted a comment here yet???? Come on people - climb out of your hidey- holes and plug in your ears!! We can do better than this in supporting other members. We all know what a challenge it can be to record and post our playing here for public scrutiny - we can do much better than this, I know we can..

How'do Jeremy :)

oh Aye ;) ......that's a Mean n Diiirty tone for sure :smilinguitar: a wee touch of Gary Moore in some of your licks

the only advice i could give would be to record your own backing tracks. a basic bass line and some Guitar chords recorded to a beat, this helps develop

playing and songwriting - where playing to a standard backing track encourages mostly lead playing - also recording our own backing will help to develop our own sound and style - and as we have played the backing instruments, the overall result (regardless of quality) will sound more "together"

How'do Carol ;)

Well said :) i've been AWOL for a wee bit, the forum seems quite quiet in that department at the minute and there seems to be a few new beginner members that would benefit from a bit more banter ;)

Paul...........

Howdy! I've been absent for a while. Thanks for the feedback! I'm also flattered by the Gary Moore remark, although realistically I can only dream of acquiring half the skill that the man had. Much appreciated :)

To be perfectly honest, I hardly know the first thing about constructing a quality backing track. lol I used to record and loop simple 2 or 3 chord tracks back in the day and jam over those, and can program a decent drum track nowadays. But...my downfall is I'm very very metal centric when it comes to that. Just need more practice at it I suppose! :) I'm not too fancy when it comes to other-than-metal type tracks, so definitely need to work on adding more flavor. As mentioned, it will help to further develop my own sound.

Speaking of sound, somewhat recently just swapped the stock pups in my guitar for a set of Dimarzio D Activators. Definitely geared for the heavier side of things, but they're incredibly versatile at the same time. Wish I could re-record what I played on that improv, the effect it had on that tone I had dialed in is something else!

Thanks again for the feedback. One of these weekends I'm going to sit down and work at doing my own backing track (as much as I can anyway, no bass *sigh*)

and Carol, true I've been playing a while, but I'm so incredibly deficient in so many areas for as long as I've been fiddling with the guitar that it's ridiculous lol

This is actually one of my "luckier" improvs where I didn't hit an incredible amount of sour notes and extra-terrible phrases hahaha (that I let you all hear anyway, I did cut the audio a bit short IIRC ;) )

I'll have to post another sometime and let my "real" non-metal guitar personality show up haha

Hi Jeremy! I'm not a big fan of metal personally, but hey, there are others who are, and you do have skills in that style.

Speaking for myself I'd be interested in hearing/seeing your 'less metal' side....you can do it! Of course you can! :)

How'do Carol ;)

Paul...........

How'do yourself, Paul. How's tricks? Hope you are well (a goode phrase borrowed from our AWOL member Chris/starsailor who seems to have fallen down a mine shaft somewhere over there in Cornwall).

Maybe you should take a trip down to the sunny south and organise a search party? I hear the beaches down there actually have real sand, and not just gravel and stones... :punk: