luis_91_91

Amp going RRRRRR at low F power-Chord

luis_91_91    2
I bought a second-hand guitar amplifier: Mustang III by Fender.

At clean effects and high volume it sounds ok. But low pitch at high volume with distortion make it go:

BBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRR...

every time a low powerchord is played.

What's going on?

Tnx guys!!!

mset3    158

Luis,

First, check your guitar to make sure it isn't string buzz at the low frequencies. I have a guitar that did this on the eight fret. The problem when away after setting up the guitar correctly. Second, it could be the amp over powering the speaker at low frequencies or possibly a defective speaker.

Mike

gasbag    54

My only guess would be like mset3, it could be a defective speaker.....a loose or cracked/torn cone.

I had an amp once that had a tear in it and it would sound fine until I pushed it and it would get that awful sound.

luis_91_91    2

Luis,

First, check your guitar to make sure it isn't string buzz at the low frequencies. I have a guitar that did this on the eight fret. The problem when away after setting up the guitar correctly. Second, it could be the amp over powering the speaker at low frequencies or possibly a defective speaker.

Mike

Tnx mike, You never let me down ;-)

I've recently octaved my guiar (for 1st time hehe) I'll see if that's it, but previous owner told me "don't play at louder volumes". Now I guess why.

Second: Overpowering it's something you can't do anything about, right? just not pushing the distort/volume that far or what would you please suggest? :punk:

My only guess would be like mset3, it could be a defective speaker.....a loose or cracked/torn cone.

I had an amp once that had a tear in it and it would sound fine until I pushed it and it would get that awful sound.

Gasbag, hehe fun name btw... I'm afraid it'd be a defective speaker. Actually, I'm the 3rd owner of this instrument. How do I validate it's broken. Could I repace the speaker? Aprox costs?

mset3    158

Luis,

How is tuning in octaves working for you? Do you hear that big of a difference? I usually tune my guitar to all of the E's on the fretboard.

Gasbag is right, you could have a loose or cracked/torn cone. This could just compound the distortion causing the speaker to vibrate at the low frequency. Speakers vary in size and cost, and can get pretty expensive.

Mike

luis_91_91    2

Luis,

How is tuning in octaves working for you? Do you hear that big of a difference? I usually tune my guitar to all of the E's on the fretboard.

Gasbag is right, you could have a loose or cracked/torn cone. This could just compound the distortion causing the speaker to vibrate at the low frequency. Speakers vary in size and cost, and can get pretty expensive.

Mike

"tuning in Octaves" means adjusting the Fretboard-truss-rod and the bridge-saddles ?? Cuz I call that "octavar" in spanish.

The BBBRRR sound is still there, but I lowered a bit the Bass/mid/treb Gains in the output signal of my pedal-Fx-processor and the BBBRRR was gone.

Was I pushing my Amp way too far?

Is there any course to master Equalization/Distor/flanger/reverb and stuff???

mset3    158

Luis,

Two different things here. I thought you were referring to tuning the guitar to octaves.

Speakers are usually designed to go with RMS wattage of the amp. Could be someone along the line replaced the speaker with one that can't handle the lower frequencies.

I'm not aware of any course. I think you will just have to play with it until it sounds right to your ear. I have seen some things where guitarists will share their amp settings.

Mike