joey1kenobe

What do you listen with?

joey1kenobe    0

I use Windows Mediaplayer to listen to the stuff you guys post and some times the files don't open up. Then i have to download them to listen. I was just wondering what other players you guys are using to listen to the songs here.

6string    81

Windows Mediaplayer , never had a problem opening them

but on my old laptop I had to download them 1st because the computer was too slow

Donovan    0

I mostly use WMP for organising and listening to music as well. However I also have Realplayer and Quicktime since they are required for some file formats and streams on the web. I dunno about files not opening, but maybe you miss some essential plugin? Are you using the latest WMP 10? Else try Quicktime :)

I DO have some problems with audio files opening INCORRECTLY at this site (and some other sites as well). It seems my browser (Firefox atm) opens up the quicktime player in the browser window itself, but it only plays the first few seconds of the song. When I try to download the entire file, WMP plays back an inrecognizable file, with a lot of indistinguishable noises. Maybe it's got to do with firefox downloading and putting the file back together in some erroneous way? Maybe some of you guys know what's going on?

nocat    0

Welcome to the forum Joey...!!!

Media Player 10 is one of the best out there IMO... I use it for everything, But I to

have problems with some of the files on the site...!!! :o)

Cheers

Ben

Jim    0

Windows Mediaplayer as well -- I use version 9 and haven't had a problem opening any file streams. I have resisted "upgrading" to version 10 so far, and maybe for good reason if some of you with 10 are having some problems with some files.

I always wait for a while before taking anything new from Microsoft.... been bitten too many times! :)

Jim

Clancy    36

I use both Windows Media Player 9 and 10 and they both work ok for me. I have noticed that links to external mp3 files (files not uploaded and hosted here on the forum) seem to want to open for me in Quicktime. I have no idea why that would be as I have my file types set up so that all .mp3 files should open in WMP.

Joey, Nocat and Donovan. What files are you having problems opening? Are they files hosted here on the forum or are they links to external files? If they are links to external files hosted on other sites, then there is nothing we can do about it here. If it's a problem with files attached to posts in the forum here, let me know and I'll look into it further.

Cheers

Clancy

nagukush    0

Hey Buddy

I use Windows Mediaplayer for most, almost everytime. Another player I came across is this VLC Media Player : http://www.videolan.org/vlc/. As far as I've used it, I've found that, it almost plays any Video-Format that others fail to do. It free as far as I know.

Regds

Kush

nocat    0

Clancy, I have the same problem with Quicktime... All my settings are such that, everything

should open with Media Player, But for some reason after installing Quicktime and setting

it up to only associate itself with .mov streaming files, the sneaky bugger basically took

over my system...!!!

I had to download and re-install Media Player, and this pretty much took care of it...

Now it just plays files that are associated with, and can only be played by, Quicktime...!!!

I absolutely HATE software that does that...!!!

As far as the problem opening files from the forum I've found that they are usually .mp3's

that where uploaded here... I wouldn't be overly concerned, as it happens quite rarely,

and it's not much of a hassle to just, right-click, download...!!!

Cheers

Ben

I use media player 10, winamp and vlc player, depends vlc tends to be used for video's mainly that are made in unusual formats, media player is used in the forum to open mp3and video

Clancy    36

Joey, nocat and anyone else having problems with the Quicktime browser plugin overriding your mp3 file association settings. I've just posted a thread down in the Troubleshooting/Feedback forum on how to solve this problem. You can find it here. Hope it helps some.

By the way, welcome to the forum Joey. :)

Cheers

Clancy

Donovan    0

I'm totally with you nocat, that is QUITE annoying... Especially since it didn't even play back the files properly here :unsure: Thanks to Clancy and lc, I was able to fix the problem and now happily use WMP again for most files :)

Bob Wolford    0

For general listening, Itunes on a pc. . .but if I want to really examine a piece of music the it CoolEdit 2000.

When I say "examine" I mean, learn a tune, slow down a tune, transcribe a tune, etc.