michaelcreese

trouble with new volume pot

Hi. Anyone got an answer? Just changed the 5 way switch and all three pots on a strat with Lace gold pick ups. All is well but the volume pot does not have a great effect on volume and it switches off completely, clicks back on very suddenly, almost like an on off swithch at very low. Fender 250 pots. The only thing that I am not sure I got right was the value of the capacitor. Says it wants 22, I dont know what I fitted, it came with the pots from Fender. Used a Lace diagram, very clear, quite simple, but now this? Any takers?

Cheers

Mike

Actually, there is another small prob that I do not remember from last time I used this guitar. 1st string, up the neck, certainly around 12th, is very very weak. 2 is ok but unlkely though it seems I think this is mechanical. I have canted the pick ups so they are close to the treble strings, that makes it pretty well ok, but it isnt right, not really, its shouldnt need such a mad solution. Even though it is a solution. Under bridge pick up and I would know what to do, but this one string? Beats me.

Anyone.

All the best

Mike

For info, its a bad pot. New off the shelf, but faulty. Had a 250 Schaller, much smaller, maybe takes less heat for grounding soldering so maybe not prone to cooking during installation, but whatever, changed over and now its ok now. Wired in with Lace diagram the tone pots dont seem to do much at all, but as long as I can get the tone I want I dont think that matters. Cannot remember the last time I used a tone knob anyway.

Michael,

Glad to hear you resolved the problem. I was thinking a cold solder joint at first. You don't think a component off the shelf is bad, but it does happen.

Mike