Varun Sharma

Marshall Amp giving me Troubles.

Bought on - March, 2012

Problem since - An year or so.

Model - Marshall MG CDR15

Symptoms - Out of nowhere, my amp stops to produce any sound. Mostly it happens at the beginning but sometimes in the middle of playing. Previously it used to be only with channels, for example if i'm having trouble on distortion then i just switched to clean and it used to work or i could strum my guitar vigorously and switch to and fourth between channels and it would work. Now it does not fix it, the only way to fix it is to crank the volume up and vigorously start strumming and it will crackle a bit but then start back suddenly with loud volume and then i'd just reduce the volume and play.

I opened my amp up and everything seems pretty fine to me, the pictures and audio recording -

IMAG1051.jpg

IMAG1052.jpg

IMAG1053.jpg

Please tell me what could be the possible problem. Its really hard to find even a half-decent guy who can fix an amp over here and even if i have to take it to someone, i don't wish to get duped.

P.S. - Don't judge my playing based on it, it was merely for demonstration of fault. Not Any Performance. Most of you will find first minute enough to see the fault however i did notice crackling a little later as well. However, after i fix it by turning the volume up and stuff, it generally works fine for 0.5 to 3 hours.

Varun,

Have you eliminated the guitar and cable as the possible problem? The initial static may be a dirty volume control on the guitar. Try rotating it up and down and see if that clears it. Dirty pots can cause this static and intermittent volume. Wiggle the cable around when the volume comes back. Bad cables or a loose guitar input jack can also cause this problem. Lastly try another guitar or plug your guitar into another amp.. It if still has this problem with another guitar you know sounds good, then it could be the amp. Eliminate the amp first.

Mike