I am in search of a program that will allow me to separate the different instrument sounds in a song (a free program if at all possible) it seems that i can't really play the song on the guitar unless i can hear it played and i have trouble picking out the guitar with the singing and the other instruments...any suggestions?

Rockerbob    47

Such software does not yet exist. When it does exist, it will probably be very expensive at first.

Your best bet would be to find a really good MIDI file of the tune. With MIDI you can use any number of freeware MIDI players to playback only one track at a time.

As RB said that sort of software is not really available, this link will give you a midi player which gives you the facility to seperate the track your listening to, ie guitar, bass, vocals, piano etc on midi files which there are thousands available, hope it helps a bit :)

http://www.vanBasco.com/

scotty_b    16

Maybe you could try a couple of things

1) using EQ to try and accentuate certain instrument ranges

2) use some sort of karaoke software, such as 'Myvoice' which will remove vocals and also pretty much anything esle panned to the centre of the track. That sometimes allows you to hear other instruments more clearly.