Aric J Isom Sr

Another Newbie Question: Half Stack vs Full Stack

Hello,

I know the difference between a combo amp and a stack amp, but what is the difference between a Half Stack and a Full Stack. I Google the answer and only find debates on 'what is better for which purpose' 'types of answers. I want the physical differences.

I even looked under Google Images and found no correlation based on size. I've seen them called full stacks with just a head and one cabinet, and I've seen full stacks with a head and two cabinets. Please help me untangle this confusion. Please excuse my English, I'm from the United States. LOL...

Thanks.

:yes:

gasbag    54

An amplifier stack consists of an amplifier head sitting on top of a speaker cabinet.

A head on top of one cabinet is commonly called a half stack.

A head sitting on two cabinets a full stack.

When people look at mine and ask what it is I just say "That's mine" and leave it at that. :online2lo

Physically they can be any size.

We now have mini and micro half and full stacks.

Are they interchangable? Can I have two different brand cabinets, and yet a tird brand head? Looking on Craigslist and I see them selling them seperatly. Also, can a person have three or more cabinets with only one head?

:guitarguy:

gasbag    54

Are they interchangable?

Yes. I have a Milk Man tube amp (1982) It still has it's original speaker and I built a cab and put

a spare 12" speaker in it and run it off the external jack on the amp. The spare came out of an old Fender tube amp

that needed more work than it was worth. I put the Milk Man in one corner and the cab in the other.

Wallah.........I'm a rock star. :whistling

I play lap steel and most of the guys buy a good tube amp head, like a Quilter, and then make their own cabs and

put the speaker (s) of their choice in them.

Can I have two different brand cabinets, and yet a tird brand head?

Yes, Just match the ohms of the amp output jacks and the impedance of the speakers.

Also, can a person have three or more cabinets with only one head?

I have seen it done but my head explodes thinking of working out the resistance of the multiple cabs to match the amp.

I ain't that smart.

I am sure there are others in here way smarter than I am regarding matching speakers/impedance/output etc.

than me and can explain it so it makes sense.

It does not matter who made what. As long as the connections and the speakers and amp are compatible

everything should work just fine.