sheraton

improvising over a simple chord progression

How'do folks :)

i thought i'd do a quick on the spot improv jam on video.......recording a simple chord progression to a beat and jammin along , when i'm improvising a lead melody what i like to do if i want something to sound a bit more structured, is keep it simple and i can repeat wee riffs if i play something i like.. :)

Paul...............

I could listen and watch that all day - Take one guitar plus someone with lots of talent = beautiful music.

What are you using to record with these days?

cheers Carol, Spider, Mike :)

Carol - I'm still using my Boss 8-track for recording, it's seen a fair bit of use and i've had to do some repairs already so i'll hopefully upgrade to the new version soon (i accepted a job offer this week, so finances should get back on track) i actually recorded the audio of this video through my 8-track with my amp mic'd up - i plug the output (red n white) from 8-track into the audio and video out (yellow) from my camera into my video capture device on laptop, so the audio n video are in sync when i record video on my laptop - i've been messing around with a couple of different cameras for recording video, none of the built-in mics are good enough for audio quality - this way is a pain to set-up (cables all over the place) but it works best :)

i may add to this video - record bass Guitar, then do a live vocal and Guitar take - to show how a simple improvised idea can become a song..

Paul......

How'do folks :)

i added a bit to this Jam - not sure what happened to the video, i must have had the settings wrong as i ended up with a low resolution capture....

Paul...........

Unbelievable! You amaze me, that's inspiring. How did you do that - come up with such fantastic lyrics, just like that?....as you can probably guess, I'm definitely impressed. :)

it's not too hard to find some lyrics on the spot, when its nice n short like this :).......also step 1 when i have a wee listen, n when recording the bass Guitar - i'll have wee melody n lyric ideas goin on in my head ;)

i meant to say - this last video, the Guitar tone is not as nice as i had to record direct (i only have one mic, so can't mic the amp and sing at the same time) also, because i'm monitoring through speakers (just for the video) - the mic is picking up the playback and adding some noise to each track, so this final clip has lost some clarity....

this is not necessarily how i write songs or come up with ideas, i don't really have one approach to music, this is one way.......the "don't think, just do" approach - pick some chords, and add a melody over the top - as long as we use our ears, listen to the accompaniment on each take, we'll get some result :)

at this stage i'd be inclined to double up on the length of the song add a few more Vocal lines and a longer Guitar break :D

Paul...........

Sheraton said:

as long as we use our ears, listen to the accompaniment on each take, we'll get some result :)

Paul...........

That's the problem - it's the result I get. :laughingg:

My only real goal at this point in my life is to be able to sit in with some musicians and listen for a bit, get the beat, get the key, and add a bit IN TUNE and IN TIME and have fun! This is a great way to practice this at home before going to open mic and making an ass of myself ! THANKS