davidgossett

dumb question about electric guiters

I'm looking at getting a electric guitar. I play gospel music I just want it to play rhythm at home with my wife singing and her on the keyboard. I have a acoustic and just want to try something different. I am a beginner at the guitar so I don't know a lot. Can someone tell me the difference between a strat. Les Paul and sg. Guitars? Thanks

David

JanVigne    27

IMO, tough question because the differences are too broad and mainly personal.

My impression of "tone" would be the Strat is not ideal for gospel since it has a thinner, sharper tone that a Telecaster. The Start can be made to sound fuller by way of the multiple pu's and the five way switch but it never, IMO, crosses over into a full sound you can get from other guitars. Sort of depends on how much you spend on the Strat too. Low price means lower cost put into the pu's.

LP and SG are the typical Gibson sound, not tremendous difference between these two. Again, the SG is always a bit harder and more metallic sounding to my ears. Though, I have to admit, I don't often listen to music where the SG is the favored instrument. LP's sound rather "phat" to me. More mellow than a Strat or the SG. Of the three, the LP is the better choice for chording. As with the Fender, cost is going into pu's and the more you spend, the better you get.

I tend to prefer an archtop however. Think Sister Rosetta Tharpe and you'll hear all of these Gibson based guitars being played during her recording career; http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Forgotten_Heroes_Sister_Rosetta_Tharpe

A Gibson or Epiphone semi-solid body or similar is, IMO, a tremendously versatile guitar that covers a really wide range of tones and styles. Don't know of it's still true but a few years ago my regular salesman at GC was pretty excited about the quality of the Epiphone Dot. I'd purchased a Sheraton not long before that (primarily for blues) and I had to agree, the revision to the Dot made it a very different guitar. Well worth an audition IMO.

Thanks that helps a lot it gives me a better understanding of the types of electric guitars. I am primary looking at pawn shops and on Craigslist for a inexpensive guitar being on a budget. That helps narrow it down. Thanks

David

JanVigne    27

A friend purchased a pawn shop guitar several years back. Made by Tradition and, at the time, didn't set him back but a few hundred. He was told the guitar was made in the "same factory" as the LP's. The guitar was clearly marked "Made in Korea" so that wasn't exactly true. Possibly, it might have been made in the same factory as an Epiphone LP at some time. Just not in the same factory as a Gibson.

When a manufacturer sends their designs to a third world country to be built on the cheap, it's not that uncommon to see other lines selling basically the same guitar under a different name. His Tradition was a really nice player; great neck, terrific sustain, everything you'd want in a lower end LP. It was, however, betrayed by the pick ups which had a very raunchy sound IMO. Not terrible, just not what I would have cared to own. Pick ups are a pretty easy swap though. He never learned how to play and the guitar has since been lent out to a relative. Had he kept it and pursued playing a bit more, a new set of pu's and that would have been a very nice instrument for the price.

Shopping pawn shops, IMO, doesn't often turn up the gem at a discount price. There are a lot of fake Fenders and Gibsons out there and a lot of junk pretenders selling for too much money. You have to really do your research before you hand over your money. And have patience. I would say never buy on your first trip. Don't buy something just to have something. Make sure what you're getting really is a bargain if that's what you expect. If you lose out on this one, there will be more eventually to choose from.

My experiences have been much better with a reputable instrument dealer. If you're not in a hurry to own an electric, take your time with them and, if you're persistent, you'll eventually find the guitar that's right for you at a price you can afford. You'll have someone who knows guitars to discuss the purchase with and a dealer who will stand behind their product, even their used gear. I've ordered two pre-owned guitars from Guitar Center and each time I had the opportunity to discuss the guitar before I ordered it and I was told I could easily return it if I wasn't purely, 101% pleased with the guitar. One was a Martin dread that, supposedly, belonged to a collector who was weeding out his lot to make way for fresh stuff and the guitar was stupid cheap for what I got.

eddiez152    129

Get on the tube and see whats is most popular for your type of music and judge for yourself. In my opinion its usually an acoustic electric unless its Christian rock.