spirittoo

Buzzing on low E string

Hello ... I have a Fender Acoustic Electric FA 135 CE guitar. I got in the beginning of Oct. from Musician's Friend. I am getting buzzing on the low E string on the first 5 frets ... I get it on the other strings but not nearly as bad as the low E. What can I do to correct this? Thank you for reading my post. :yes:

spirittoo,

The humidity has more than likely affected the setup on your guitar. Unless you know what entails setting up a guitar, I would recommend you have a guitar tech look at it and do a propert setup.

Mike

I have an idea what entails setting up a guitar ... according to the customer rep at musician's friend it should cost no more the $25, but the local store wants $65 and the store in Cleveland the guitar center wants $42 plus tax for a simple set up. So far I haven't been able to find someone reasonable. So I need to do it my self.

Lots of good info on the net. I'd be looking at the adjustment nut on the neck. It may be too tight. Loosen it up a 1/4 turn at a time see if that helps. This will allow the action to come up. Check also at the 12th fret the string height. Too high is not good as you will have a problem with intonation caused by pulling string down a greater distance.

Nut my be too low on low E. Loosen string and put some paper under the string to see if that changes things for you. If saddle is too low, it can be raised.

Good luck

eddie

spirittoo,

Take this advice in the manual under consideration:

"If you have any doubts in your ability to make this adjustment correctly, take your guitar to an Authorized Fender Service Center."

Paying $65.00 for a setup and having it done right is less expensive than buying a new guitar.

Mike

• Like 1

Let's keep in mind any new to guitar player might be the cause of buzzes. Make sure your hand/finger position isn't responsible for any noises. You might want to ask a more experienced player to check for buzzes and overall playability just to verify it's the guitar and not you that needs some adjustments. Even someone at another shop should do this for you as a courtesy. If the guitar is truly what needs some work ...

If this were my new guitar, I would investigate the factory warranty before I touched the guitar with a tool. Read your warranty and it should say something about "materials and workmanship". That should cover receiving a guitar that doesn't buzz on any string. Though, at this price range, you might find some people saying you have to accept buzzes and dead frets. I'd say you don't and, had you purchased this guitar in a brick and mortar shop, you would have a bit more recourse which might include asking for a different guitar. I can't remember MF's return policy but it's possible sending this guitar back for an exchange (asking for the guitar to be checked and properly adjusted before it's shipped) might be an alternative you can explore with MF.

If you try to remedy this situation on your own, you can possibly do more harm than good. Set up is a process, one task follows another and shouldn't be considered a simple tweak to the truss rod. That may indeed be all that's required ... or not. Your guitar has been built with all laminated woods so environmental conditions should not be terribly responsible for changes to the guitar's overall condition unless you've truly abused the guitar in the short time you've owned it. In this price range guitars are built in a hurry and not a lot of check out is required or supplied. If the nut or saddle is off kilter, then tweaking the truss rod isn't really the answer you should settle for. (You might want to check the saddle, it's probably a drop in type. In more than a few lower cost guitars the saddle will be installed backwards and the offset built in for the highest strings ends up on the lowest strings which can cause a buzz on all strings. If that is the case with your guitar, that is a fix you can accomplish by simply loosening the strings and swapping the saddle end for end.) However, beyond the most benign fix, what you do to any product still under warranty can void any coverage you might have and negate any claims against the seller/manufacturer.

You should not be made to pay for any repairs/service to a virtually brand new guitar. That's what warranty is all about, taking care of the client.

With a $149 guitar no one other than the buyer expects a lot of effort to be applied to fixing what's wrong with the guitar. But you have a warranty and that legal agreement implies you should have some say in this. You gave them money and they promised - via the warranty - to supply you with a playable guitar.

In your situation, I would first advise you gather a few facts. Take a long straight edge to the neck/fretboard to check for its condition. Any on line set up guide should tell you what to look for here and give you an idea whether the guitar is reasonably in line with proper set up. Using either a set of feeler gauges or an engineer's ruler, check for the distance of the strings away from the frets as indicated in any set up guide. Armed with that information you will have something to discuss with Fender. Warranties are tricky things nowdays and there's a lot of wiggle room between who will take responsibility for a defective or out of adjustment product. But start with Fender, my experiences with them have been quite good and they are ultimately who gets to decide how to get you a guitar that plays properly. Provide them the info on your playing condition and the measurements you've taken and let them advise you on how to proceed. Ask for any Fender Authorized Service Centers in your area which would perform repairs/adjustments without cost to you.

If the fix, as assessed by Fender, is to simply tweak an adjustment, then you have a better idea how to proceed on your own. If they suggest the guitar be checked by a tech (which, IMO, is their proper response), I would say take them up on that offer - at their expense. Fender is responsible for getting you the guitar you paid for. There should be as little inconvenience to you as possible and as little cost. What you should end up with is as good a guitar as Fender can provide you within the limitations of your original purchase. This might lead to you returning the guitar to MF or taking it to a local shop. But, really, there shouldn't be any cost to you for the warranty service beyond the generic hassle of time and possibly some expenditure of gas and so forth. If the guitar needs to be returned to MF, ask Fender to pick up the shipping cost. I would be as adamant as possible about getting the guitar you paid for without turning nasty but realizing you aren't buying a $10k hand built instrument.

If, however, you simply start messing with the guitar on your own, you may no longer have any rights under the original manufacturer's warranty. If you paid for any additional warranty through MF, they need to stand by their agreements.

Good luck. Fender has always been square with me and MF generally doesn't want a bad service report on their web site.

Hello Jan ... I checked out the warranty and unfortunately it does not cover setup or adjustments so I will have to see what I can do on my own :smartass: or wait until I can cough up the $45 for a set up. :sweating::dunno:

Hello Jan ... I checked out the warranty and unfortunately it does not cover setup or adjustments so I will have to see what I can do on my own :smartass: or wait until I can cough up the $45 for a set up. :sweating::dunno:

No, the warranty would not specify "set ups". You might take your guitar into a shop and ask them to set it up for slide, or rhythm work, or single note picking, etc. Fender's not going to pay for that since that sort of adjustment has nothing to do with the playability of the instrument as it came from the factory. The warranty should, though, say what I mentioned, materials and workmanship. If the guitar is not in adjustment when you receive it, there may be - probably are - issues with the materials and the workmanship which assembled the guitar. There is certainly, IMO, a case to be presented to Fender and to Musicians Friend - if, that is, you've determined the problem is actually in the guitar.

I spent three decades on the sales floor and one of the very first lessons any decent salesperson should hear is, you don't get what you don't ask for. In other words, you can't expect the other person to simply say, "Here, take my money", unless you ask them for their money. The same rule applies here, you have to ask. Ask Fender and ask MF. They aren't going to pursue anything until you ask them to do so. They aren't going to part with their warranty cash unless you specifically ask them to.

Don't say anything about a "set up". That's not what you want in the first place. Don't mistake what you get with a set up with having a guitar that doesn't buzz. Set ups can be a lot of different things but many times a set up is for a player with specific desires such as slide, heavy gauge strings, adjusting intonation, super low action to the point of string buzz, etc. When you walk into a shop and say you want a set up, if you have no specific requests for what you want, the tech is going to adjust the guitar for the lowest action and leave it at that. At this point, you don't have any requests for a specific action or adjustment. You just want a guitar that plays well and doesn't buzz on all the strings. Right? So there's no set up involved. There may, however, be adjustments required to get the guitar playing correctly. That's all you need to say to Fender and MF. You just want to make sure the guitar is in factory spec and, if it is not, then you would like to have it adjusted by a Fender authorized repair center to be within spec.

Another way to state the rule of asking for the sale is to say you get what you ask for. For you this simply means saying you want your new guitar to play well. Don't say anything about a set up. But if you say nothing, that's what you'll get.

Well sir ... this is what I found at the fender warranty site ... tell me what you think. Sorry about the space if it shows ... I couldn't get it to backspace

Limitations and E

xclusions

The following items are

not

covered by this warranty.

Fret wear, saddle wear, nut wear, strings and batteries.

Setups, adjustments or routin

e maintenance of any kind.

Damage to finishes or cracks, splitting, or warpage of wood due to changes in

temperature or humidity, exposure to or contact with sun, fire, moisture, body

salts and acids of perspiration, guitar straps, guitar stands/hangers ma

de from

vinyl, plastic, rubber or other synthetic materials, any other chemicals or non

-

Fender

-

approved polishes.

Damage, corrosion or rusting of any hardware components caused by

humidity, salty air, or exposure to the moisture, body salts and acids of

pe

rspiration.

Limitations and E

xclusions

The following items are

not

de from

-

Fender

-

approved polishes.

pe

rspiration.

spirittoo,

I guess this is one of the drawbacks for purchasing a guitar on the Internet without having an oportunity to play the instrument first. I've purchased several guitars from various music stores over the years. They always had a tech on site to set the guitar up to my specifications at no additional charge. This had nothing to do with the warranty, just good customer service. At least MF offered a refund or a store credit.

This doesn't solve your problem with the buzzing string. I still recommend you have a guitar tech look at it.

Mike

• Like 1

Well so much for the warranty issue. Best suggestion is send it back, take the loss and go to a store near you where you can test play, have someone play, ask questions and live happily ever after. EH?

Well sir ... this is what I found at the fender warranty site ... tell me what you think. Sorry about the space if it shows ... I couldn't get it to backspace

Limitations and E

xclusions

The following items are

not

de from

-

Fender

-

approved polishes.

pe

rspiration.

Right, and here's the first sentence in the warranty information that you need to pay attention to;

"Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (“FMIC”) warrants this Fender brand instrument

to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for as long as it is owned by the

original retail purchaser ... "

That says Fender is responsible for any defects in materials and workmanship which would, say, cause the strings to buzz on a brand new guitar. As the responsible party in the agreement Fender agrees to repair (which includes adjusting to factory spec) or (at their discretion) replace any defective product. You gave them money, they owe you a guitar that is adjusted to spec. That's what the warranty says in your situation.

I'm not sure why you're looking for how not to get your guitar fixed.

Contact Fender. What do you have to lose? You called MF and ended up $25 ahead. Contact Fender.

Right, and here's the first sentence in the warranty information that you need to pay attention to;

"Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (“FMIC”) warrants this Fender brand instrument

to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for as long as it is owned by the

original retail purchaser ... "

That says Fender is responsible for any defects in materials and workmanship which would, say, cause the strings to buzz on a brand new guitar. As the responsible party in the agreement Fender agrees to repair (which includes adjusting to factory spec) or (at their discretion) replace any defective product. You gave them money, they owe you a guitar that is adjusted to spec. That's what the warranty says in your situation.

I'm not sure why you're looking for how not to get your guitar fixed.

Contact Fender. What do you have to lose? You called MF and ended up $25 ahead. Contact Fender.

Absolutely nothing to lose Jan ... I will contact fender today and get back and post what they had to say ...thanks.

Hilly ho and Happy Holidays to all you good folks on the board ... well sir I got a response to my email from Fender today ...

Quote:

The warranty does not cover setting up the instrument. If there is a manufacturing defect, it would be covered under the warranty. I would recommend bringing the guitar into an authorized service center and having it looked over by one of our techs. If you can provide me with your zip code, I will be happy to refer you to the closest authorized service center in your area.

Best Regards,

Paul Levesque

The warranty does not cover setting up the instrument. If there is a manufacturing defect, it would be covered under the warranty. I would recommend bringing the guitar into an authorized service center and having it looked over by one of our techs. If you can provide me with your zip code, I will be happy to refer you to the closest authorized service center in your area.

Best Regards,

Paul Levesque

So there you have it. I will take it in to what ever the closest center is and have it checked out.

Well sir ... the verdict is in ... the guitar is indeed defective. There is a bubble below the bridge and a dip in front of the bridge ... they said a guitar shouldn't be like that only after a couple of months. That is why I am getting that buzzing sound. I have contacted Fender and will find out what they will do about it. I don't want a refund ... I want the guitar so I will see what fender will do. The saleman at the World of Music store in Erie Pa told me they don't work on guitars not brought from them even though they are a fender dealer. So we will see what happens when I get a response from Fender.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to one and all!

Well, though it's not really good news, I'm glad you had the instrument checked out by a factory authorized tech. Now, you need to deal with MF. Since the guitar is under warranty and defective, I would push for either MF or Fender picking up the return shipping charges. They can simply send you a pre-paid label and you drop off the instrument at a shipping center or have them pick it up from your home.

Consider a refund. Take the money and buy a guitar locally. Most local dealers will work with you on price if they are asking a bit more than an on line dealer but, remember, you won't be paying shipping costs though you might need to pick up sales taxes. Figure value rather than just the lowest cost. You'll both support your local brick and mortar dealer and have the opportunity to try a specific guitar before you take it home. Plus, a local shop is usually willing to provide after the sale service (maybe a merchandise bundle of some useful, lower cost items like a strap, picks, a metronome, clip on tuner and so on to choose from) which is not so easily achieved through an on line dealer. Support your local dealers. If you don't, some day when you want to audition a guitar, there won't be any local dealers.

spirittoo,

Glad to hear you're on the way to a satisfactory solution. Fender should back up their warranty. Let us know what Fender has to say.

Mike