windsong

Letting your fingers fly on the fretboard

windsong    16

When I'm just toy as'n around on the guitar, I think it is true that I'm at the point where my fingers just let loose and do the speaking effortlessly.

Any of you feel this way.

JanVigne    27

Possibly, when you are "just toy as'n around on the guitar", this is the case. Toy as'n around isn't necessarily making music, it's just what it says it is. I find mess'n around with my guitar to be educational for those moments when my fingers don't "just let loose and do the speaking effortlessly". For, if I am not giving some consideration to where my fingers are going and what is in my head, then I'm probably going to have a few stinkers in there. Or I am not pushing the envelope to find new territory for my more serious playing. The education then becomes a matter of how to make the wrong note sound as if it were the right note. Or how to better make the statement I'm after. For that to occur I do have to actively engage my brain in a creative process.

I would say the idea of just doing whatever occurs and wherever your fingers go is similar to saying Jackson Pollock simply threw paint at the canvas or Mondrian only drew geometric shapes. I would argue the creative talent of either artist was to be sensitive to the creative process. Pollock is well known for literally throwing cans of paint at a canvas or dripping paint from his brush onto a canvas laying flat on the floor. Yet it is the ability to see shapes and patterns, colors and hues, light and dark which is what Pollock's creations are about. You can't truly do that by ignoring what has come before and what is to come next. There is a controlled randomness in his works. No, your eight year old couldn't create what Pollock has done. That's not so say your eight year old couldn't create something of interest, they just couldn't create what another artist envisions as perfect.

Therefore, even when I'm just messing around, I am actively engaged in the process. Playing what I hear in my head and what ultimately comes from my fingers and using active feedback to make it better.

pHGTRSpider    32

When I'm just toy as'n around on the guitar, I think it is true that I'm at the point where my fingers just let loose and do the speaking effortlessly.

Yes Sir, sometimes when you drop into the zone it all just happens. Planetalk has helped me with this!

mset3    158

windsong,

Jazz players call this noodling around. I believe it has inspired a lot of creativity in their music. As Spider said, when your "into the zone it all just happens".

Mike

KendoSurf    1

Yes, In The Zone is where all guitarists wanna be...whatever they may call it! ^_^

HENDRIX couldn't find The Zone at the Isle of Wight, but he surely tried. That's why (IMHO) he threw his guitar down in disgust at the end of his set. :(

To show I'm not being a sourpuss...HENDRIX's best rendition of Red House was at a concert in Stockholm, where he played what appears to be a triple pickup Gibson SG. Compare that to JIMI's rendition at Wight, and you'l hear the difference.

gasbag    54

Nope, never happened. I doubt if I will ever be good enough for it to happen.

The only way my fingers will "let loose" is for them to fall off my hands. :hurt:

KendoSurf    1

Nope, never happened. I doubt if I will ever be good enough for it to happen.

The only way my fingers will "let loose" is for them to fall off my hands. :hurt:

:lol:

Hey, ya never know. Determination, Dedication, Desire. I simply lost the spark as the new mil approached. Didn't wanna be a scales bot, so I stopped playing. Now I'm gradually getting going again. Hope it'll be fun... :whistling

Dewy    0

I this with left AND right hand. Sometimes while holding the acoustic I will fret a familiar chord progression while letting my right hand pick a different pattern over it.

Stairway to Heaven is interesting sped up or played with a Reggae Beat!

*Que Dread Zepplin references*