spirittoo

Ion Strat Breaking Strings?

spirittoo    1

For some reason my Ion is breaking strings. :online2lo When my friend gave it to me the high E was broken and I replace it ... a couple of weeks later ... :poke: yesterday in fact the B string broke :isaynothing: ... I replaced it and today the high E string broke again. :hammers: Am I missing something? I have the light strings ... should I get something heavier? :burst:

gasbag    54

Where are they breaking? Are they always breaking in the same place?

You could have a nut or a bridge with a sharp surface or a pinch or the method

of which they are wound on the tuner can also cause broken strings.

KendoSurf    1

Gasbag may have spotted the problem. If not, you may indeed be using too light of string gauges.

My standard 1st and 2nd string became 12 and 14 due to frequent breakage. I was playing lots of barre chords at speedmetal pace... :rolleyes:

spirittoo    1

Where are they breaking? Are they always breaking in the same place?

You could have a nut or a bridge with a sharp surface or a pinch or the method

of which they are wound on the tuner can also cause broken strings.

Both did break toward the bottom half, but I'm pretty sure nothing is pinching ... I will double check when I get and put on the replacement string.

Gasbag may have spotted the problem. If not, you may indeed be using too light of string gauges.

My standard 1st and 2nd string became 12 and 14 due to frequent breakage. I was playing lots of barre chords at speedmetal pace... :rolleyes:

I was using 9 ... so I orders some 10 in bulk if the 10's keep breaking I will go thicker ... I ordered some 13 and 17 in bulk too just in case 12 in a pack ... that should do me for a while. :burst:

Nice group of guitars in your avatar ... do you play pro?

KendoSurf    1

^_^ Hey Spirit. I'm not a pro guitarist. I was content to play for small groups by request. I haven't been playing much for a long time...thinkin' maybe I can get motivated, regain fingertip callouses, and really play once again tho'? :whistling

Closest I got to pro was when a guy with a bar band wanted to prep me to be the bass player (with the Dean, far right, rear, in pic). He kept re-tuning my amp to a wimpy trebly version of "bass"...I liked gut pounding powerful bass...I quit going over for practice. :clap:

KendoSurf    1

Yeah...6string's right, could be you have a ferocious pick attack style. I've broken strings that way too. Higher gauge strings are less likely to break in any event.

Btw: Bulk strings by the dozen-wrap is THE BEST WAY imo! Saves $$$ and gives you more say in what each string should be. :yes:

spirittoo    1

^_^ Hey Spirit. I'm not a pro guitarist. I was content to play for small groups by request. I haven't been playing much for a long time...thinkin' maybe I can get motivated, regain fingertip callouses, and really play once again tho'? :whistling

Closest I got to pro was when a guy with a bar band wanted to prep me to be the bass player (with the Dean, far right, rear, in pic). He kept re-tuning my amp to a wimpy trebly version of "bass"...I liked gut pounding powerful bass...I quit going over for practice. :clap:

Oh man oh man ... I know what you mean :whistling ... I didn't play over the summer and I lost my callouses and am regaining them ... the third finger is the worst being sensitive :isaynothing: but the callouses are starting to appear again :clap:

The reason I asked about being a pro is I'm buying a acoustic electric guitar and I have a rogue strat a fender acoustic and my friend gave me a Ion electric strat he found in the trash. My friends are asking me why am I getting another guitar and I tell them people that play have more than one. They tell me only pro do and I am seeing if that is the case. I tell them they are all beginner instruments and were not nearly as expensive putting the cost together as a player might pay for one guitar. Anyway that is why I asked.

do they break in the area where your pick makes contact with the strings? could be your pick attack?

It was toward the bottom could be than, but when the last string broke I was working not no pick so hard :oop: ...

Yeah...6string's right, could be you have a ferocious pick attack style. I've broken strings that way too. Higher gauge strings are less likely to break in any event.

Btw: Bulk strings by the dozen-wrap is THE BEST WAY imo! Saves $$$ and gives you more say in what each string should be. :yes:

Yeah buddy ... I did some looking around and found those babies ... $2.19 for 12 with free shipping ... wow what a deal :punk: :escape: I hopped on that.