spirittoo

Rogue Rocketeer Electric Guitar Defective Tone Control?

spirittoo    1

I've had this rogue guitar for over a year now, but I'm just now learning how to use the amp and the controls. I have one tone control knob and no matter what postition the switch for the pick up bars I hear no difference in the tone. Am I missing something?

Also a friend gave me this Ion electric guitar he saw being thrown in the trash ... it still works, but I tried to adjust the truss rod so the 7th fret would be .010 from the string but it's way more than that and I don't think the rod makes any difference. I think I have it tighten all the way turning clockwise, so I am wondering if the rod is bad. It's a cheapo, but is still a good begining guitar. To get better tone would be nice.

JanVigne    27

Not owning a Rogue electric I can't give any answer for a simple fix. I'd say you first contact Rogue and ask for assistance. Some electrics have their pu's wired in series and some have them in parallel. This could be the reason you're not getting any adjustment from your one control. Tone controls on an electric guitar are typically a capacitor and a resistor network. Unless you're good at soldering parts in a tight space, you'll need a tech for servicing.

Can't help with the truss rod issue. Once again, a tech can give you advice after looking at the guitar.

mset3    158

spirittoo,

The truss rod is probably okay, but it could be bent. You more than likely have a wraped guitar neck. Have a guitar tech check it out.

Mike

spirittoo    1

Going to a guitar tech would cost more than the worth of the guitar. We are talking about something that was thrown in the trash. It seems no matter what adjustments I try to make has no affect save adjusting the bridge screws for the intonation ... the action is too high but the part that you adjust to lower the strings in back was screwed almost all the way in. If anything I would like to get the action lowered, but so far the adjustment I've seen on youtube to lower it is not working ... just messing around with a cheapo guitar hoping to lower the action for more comfortable playing.

On the Rogue I'm hoping the pot isn't bad ... .

JanVigne    27

It's not impossible for the tone pot to be shot. However, the far more likely situation is a cold solder joint or a bad cap. As I said, contact Rogue to be clear on how the guitar is wired and you're adjusting a functional control.

Do you have a long straight edge? Check the relief in the neck by laying the straight edge along its length. If the neck is warped or no longer adjustable, then you'll have to decide what to do with your free guitar.

spirittoo    1

I tried to find contact information on Rouge but was unable to find anything. :crying2: I do have a long straight edge ... a T-Square ...that should do it ... I'm not sure how to tell if the neck is warped or not ... what do I look for? :dunno:

Also how would you go about shimming the neck? Thanks for posting. :guitarguy:

JanVigne    27

I tried to find contact information on Rouge but was unable to find anything. :crying2: I do have a long straight edge ... a T-Square ...that should do it ... I'm not sure how to tell if the neck is warped or not ... what do I look for? :dunno:

Also how would you go about shimming the neck? Thanks for posting. :guitarguy:

From what I can tell Rogue is only a name, “Rogue” doesn’t make anything. In the fashion of many inexpensive, third world manufactured “stuffs”, Rogue is a name for whatever a group of buyers obtains from a low bid builder. Many of the designs they either buy or commission are similar to some retro designs from other manufacturers. I have one Rogue lap steel which is similar to a lap steel from the ‘50’s.

Contact a few stores retailing the Rogue line, Musicians Friend and Guitar Center seem to be prime sources for the line. Where’d you buy the guitar? They might have the information you need. Ask about contact information for the company or their representative. If you call at a time when the shop is not likely to be busy with buying customers, it’s possible one of the salespeople can tell you how to check the tone control. I hate to be preachy but I’ve done this sort of thing for decades and, if you can’t figure out how to contact the company and you don’t know how to check the neck or much else, you probably aren’t the person who should be working on a guitar.

You can find information on how to go about a basic check of the guitar – with a straight edge – by looking through a few web sites. Use your search function. It’s called “neck relief”. Or go to your local library, they probably have a book you can loan out which goes through basic checks on a guitar. But you’re doing the same thing I’ve seen people do on other forums for years. You want to think you can fix something that should be taken care of by a tech if only we would give you all the information required. If you don’t have the proper tools or you aren’t familiar with how to accomplish a repair, you can do far more harm than good by just jumping in. Educate yourself first, be resourceful. A forum can’t walk you through everything you might encounter with your guitar. You either need to learn how to find the information yourself or turn to the pros who invested in learning their trade and bought the tools to do so.

At this point, my suggestion would be to find a good tech and hand the guitars over to them.

Ask for an estimate of repairs before work is done.

If it’s something very simple, like the controls aren’t being operated properly, there aren’t likely to be any charges.

If the truss rod can’t be adjusted any further, then the tech can’t do something to charge you for. Not many people throw away a functional guitar, even a cheap one. Start from the assumption you found this guitar in the trash and it cost you nothing. If it’s not worth repairing, put it back in the trash and move on. Allocate your resources where they will do the most good and don’t waste time with inexpensive gear not meant to be repaired.

If the guitar requires repair, then you can either pay the tech, use the tech’s diagnosis to do your own repairs (which is sort of cheating) or you can forget using the guitar or tone control. Look, I get being short on cash, I really do. And I get not knowing what you need to know. But you really can booger things up more by diving into a project without the ability to accomplish a proper repair. If you booger it, it will cost several times as much to then repair. Maybe it sits unused for a while as you learn how to accomplish the repair yourself. But diving in is pretty much the worst advice I could give IMO. Some things about a guitar simply require someone with the skills and tools of the trade to pull off.

spirittoo    1

I understand what you are saying but you have to have the resources to go to a tech and I do not. Some things I have to learn how to do on my own or it can't get done. $60 for a setup and $35 to fix the tone control at a shop is a lot of money to me. Granted, there are thing only I tech will be able to do, but I will just have to do the best I can. I realize the consenus is to go to a shop, so I will accept that as your advice on this matter. Thanks.

JanVigne    27

I don’t think you quite got my post. You have two guitars with two separate problems. The main message is to use the resources you have available. Don’t depend on the forum to walk you through step by step how to use the straight edge to check for the relief in the neck. The forum can’t tell you what’s wrong with the tone control, or provide contact information for Rogue. We can only guess at possible issues. And if the neck needs to be adjusted and the tone control needs to be resoldered, you have to decide who will do those things. If you lack the skills and tools to do the troubleshooting, you probably lack the tools and skills to do the repairs. Sorry, that’s how things go. You will make a much worse mess trying to solder in tight spaces or adjusting a truss rod that doesn’t want to budge, than if you let a tech do the repairs or tell you they can’t be done or aren’t worth doing. Then with two messed up guitars, where will you be? I can’t guarantee the costs but most techs don’t charge for advice, though most of them should IMO.

Set ups are reasonably cheap, call and ask for an estimate. If all that needs doing is tweaking the truss rod, then that too may be free. If the rod won’t budge or the neck is at maximum adjustment, there’s nothing much to do and nothing much to charge for. But no tech can diagnose the tone control over the phone any more than we can do so over the forum. They need the guitar in their hands. However, to perform a set up or repair the tone control, YOU would need some tools, tools which you might not have laying around the house. At this point it’s better to spend your money on the tech rather than buying tools that might not solve the problem. Put your money where it will do the most good. Do you need both guitars repaired at once? Spread the cost out. I get how money doesn’t come easy, so don’t waste any on tools that might not fix a problem you can’t diagnose. Make sense? So far I suspect you haven’t even checked your library for any guitar maintenance books. Slow down and things will work out.

In other words, get another opinion. From someone who can look at the two guitars.

Where’d you buy the Rogue?

Call them and ask for assistance, at least the contact info for Rogue.

But, if you can’t diagnose the problem, you certainly can’t fix the problem. You can’t just start turning things and soldering things without a plan. And I am not going to lead you down a path that has no good ending.

A tech can probably look at the guitar, play with the controls and give you some idea of what’s going on. If there’s a problem, ask for an estimate of repair costs. You’re not committing yourself to anything. But now you know more about what is actually wrong with your guitar. This is hands on stuff, not stuff to be guessed at over a forum. It’s very possible the other guitar simply isn’t worth the money you’d invest in any repairs, as you said, it was taken out of the trash bin. But we can’t do anything over the forum. Let a tech look at the guitar. Or take it to the shop where you bought the Rogue and ask for some help from someone who can lay hands on it. Do so when the shop isn’t full of customers and you’ll probably get some free advice. You may not get a free repair but you’ll again know more about what needs to be done, if anything.

If you really want to check the neck, the resources are available on line. Find them and use them. This isn’t difficult stuff, just read how to do it and check it. You’ll end up knowing more by either studying the problem or turning to someone who can look at the guitars rather than a half dozen of us giving guesses. Use the resources which are available to you. That’s my advice.

Atavar    3

First off, I have more than a few times been in the position that if something was going to cost $25 it just wasn't going to happen unless someone was going to die, so I do understand how a limited budget impacts your decisions. I know how being in that position changes ones priorities.

I am going to take a different tack on this than the advice given thus far regarding the ION that was rescued from the trash, That guitar was in the trash to start with and hasn't cost you anything so far, so if things go horribly wrong you can salvage recyclable bits and trash the rest and be out nothing. That puts a different perspective on how you want to attack repairing it and gives you some freedom for experimenting. Don't do any of this with a guitar that is worth anything monetarily or emotionally. you could also paint or decorate it and turn it in to wall art.

Remember here that I know virtually nothing about guitar repair, but I want to attack this from the viewpoint of just general repair of anything theory..

First off, the guitar was mistreated and was in a horrid environment for a while. if I were going to try and repair or restore anything wooden in that situation the first thing i would do would be to make sure it has recovered environmentally. if you affect any repairs without doing that you could actually be creating problems you would have to unfix later.

For something wooden (other than a guitar) the first thing I would try to do is normalize moisture in the wood. In the case of a guitar I would first tune the strings a half step down, rub the guitar's wooden parts with some lemon oil (if you have some or some reasonable substitute) and loosen the truss rod significantly (just because you said you max tightened it). If the guitar had been rained on or soaked before you got it then it may need to hang by the head somewhere in your house for a couple of weeks. If it was left outside where it was dry or in the sun then it may need moisture so you could put it in a box or a garbage bag or a guitar case with a damp (not wet) towel or sponge not touching wooden bits for a couple of days.

After you get the wood acclimatized then you can start playing with repairs.

I would look at how the strings space from the frets at this point. See if the bow on the neck is where it was when you started or if it has changed. Now try adjusting the truss rod again. Refer to instructions from people that actually know what they are doing (not me) for how-to's on adjusting the truss rod or lubricating the truss rod nut. I have even seen websites that appeared to be written by knowledgeable people with last ditch ways to deal with warped necks.

Again, these are suggestions for an attempt at no-cost repair. Do not do this with any instrument of any value at all. you may be way better off cleaning it up and putting this out at a garage sale and putting any money you might get from it in a jar for your next guitar.

spirittoo    1

I looking a tutorials on the matter and trying to understand what is going on. I look at the neck and I don't see any bowing or warping ... or anything, but that is my untrained eye. I will take it up to the local music store and get advice on the matter. I don't think this guitar was sitting in the trash long ... I think my friend saw it being put out so it hasn't had much harmful exposure. Just trying to figure out why these adjustments on the neck and bridge have no affect what so ever. I'm not looking to be an expert ... just want to learn how to do basic adjustments. Thanks. :online2lo

JanVigne    27

Just trying to figure out why these adjustments on the neck and bridge have no affect what so ever. I'm not looking to be an expert ... just want to learn how to do basic adjustments. Thanks. :online2lo

That the adjustments didn’t change anything might be the reason the guitar was put out in the trash.

spirittoo    1

You could very well be right ... I'm going to take it up to the local store and see what a tech has to say ... won't commit to anything just looking for advice on what to do ... will get back after I have talked with him.

spirittoo    1

Well sir ... I took the two guitars to the local store ... the most I could get out of the guy is the neck is bowed on the Ion and it will cost $65 to set up ... the price when up $5 when I came in person than what I was told over the phone ... same with the other and the tone ... when up $5 more than what I was told on the phone. He didn't seem bother by the fact that I could not make any adjustments but he has the right tools for the job. One good thing he showed me how he could tell the neck was bowed ... now I see the bowing because the strings are higher at the bottom than the top. Looks like I'm going to have to deal with high action on that Ion for now if I can figure out how to do it.

mset3    158

spirittoo,

I looked at the Ion Electric Guitar on line. It appears to be about a $140.00 guitar with gig case and 15 watt amp. Used Ion's are much less expensive. You were quoted almost $100.00 to have it repaired. In my opinion, it's not worth the money to have it repaired when you can go out and purchase a used one for less than the cost of the repair. My recommendation is save your money. Hopefully, you may find another guitar play who will repair it for free.

Mike

spirittoo    1

Ah no not really ... he was just guessing and how much it would cost if the pot had to be replace. I can take a look at it ... I've worked on electronics before and have a soldering iron ... from the pictures I've seen it's something I would be able to do if the pot is bad. I have to do some research on how to test the pot ... I think I can do it checking for resistance, but I have to check that out. The guitar is no longer under warranty ... so I am on my own. ... I was able to make some noticable adjustments on the Ion. After he told me the neck was bow and how to tell I adjusted the truss rod by eye. I kept tighting it until it look like the bow was gone. After that I was able to adjust the bridge and other parts for set up. The action is a bit better now which is what I wanted. That little bit of info was enough to help me make adjustments. :yes: :guitarguy:

spirittoo    1

spirittoo,

I looked at the Ion Electric Guitar on line. It appears to be about a $140.00 guitar with gig case and 15 watt amp. Used Ion's are much less expensive. You were quoted almost $100.00 to have it repaired. In my opinion, it's not worth the money to have it repaired when you can go out and purchase a used one for less than the cost of the repair. My recommendation is save your money. Hopefully, you may find another guitar play who will repair it for free.

Mike

That was my line of thinking too Mike ... I saw the price online for the Ion and $65 plus tax would be the value of a new guitar, that's why I wasn't afraid to work on it. It paid off I got it to my liking for now, while I'm in the learning phase. Thanks for reading my posts. :winkiss:

JanVigne    27

Ah no not really ... he was just guessing and how much it would cost if the pot had to be replace. I can take a look at it ... I've worked on electronics before and have a soldering iron ... from the pictures I've seen it's something I would be able to do if the pot is bad. I have to do some research on how to test the pot ... I think I can do it checking for resistance, but I have to check that out. The guitar is no longer under warranty ... so I am on my own. ...

OK, so the person you spoke to was simply giving you the shop’s hourly rate for servicing anything. Understandably, you’ll pay the hourly service charge plus the cost of parts for any work a tech will perform. The cost of parts is relatively low when compared to that flat rate hourly fee.

However, from what you’ve just said, you still haven’t determined whether the tone control is defective or it’s just not working due to the settings on other controls or whether the tone control really has little effect on sound in this guitar. I take it the person who dealt with didn’t do much in the way of investigating the possibility the tone control simply was not switched into the circuit. He just said it would cost X amount to replace/repair.

Did you ask for any contact information for Rogue? Even in a situation as basic as a tone control, it would be helpful to have either a little bit of an idea how to check the control or someone telling you specifically where to set your probes and what measurements to expect. I really wouldn’t be expecting a bad pot but more likely a bad capacitor or even more likely a bad soldering joint. This is a relatively inexpensive guitar and assembly is on a faster as possible schedule which often leads to poor soldering operations. But when you open the guitar to do your inspection, you’re going to see a pot with at least three tabs tied to the cap/resistor network. You need to know where to place your probes and what to expect. More than likely the pot would need to be removed to be checked out of circuit. Are you convinced the control is not operational and not just non-functional due to a switch position?

Finally, do you need the tone control in your present situation as a student? How much difference will a tone control make to you learning how to play?

Go slowly when adjusting the truss rod. It’s generally an adjustment which changes only a small amount at any one time then you allow the guitar to rest and settle into the new position before you make another adjustment. Going too fast can have bad results. You had said the bridge couldn’t be adjusted. What changed that you are now able to make adjustments to the bridge?

spirittoo    1

:clap: Well sir I took apart the Rouge and saw the solder connections were good and I didn't see any broken or loose wires ... so I used some contact cleaner in the pots and put the scratch cover back on and re strung the guitar ... viola!! :guitarguy: The volume control works now!! :punk: It was just dirty ... so all is well ... didn't spent any money and now have two working electric guitars ... man am I lucky to have folks like you and the internet ... I don't know what I would do with out you! :online2lo List this one as problem solved!!! :smartass: