gasbag

I'm Starting Over---Sort Of

Hello,

If anyone has noticed, I haven't been posting much music lately. I imagine some are even relieved. :whistling

Most of that has been caused by arthritic pain in my wrist and fingers, especially my left hand.

People don't realize I am older because I am still so darn good looking, but it has caught up with me.

It has become a pain to play at times and it causes more string squeeks and missed fingerings etc. At least that's my excuse right now.

So, I came to a decision. That in itself is a bit scary but I actually had a thought and held on to it.

I am going to give lap steel a go. I have always loved the sound and have been fascinated by the Weissenborn style guitars.

So I ordered one. Don't worry, I asked my wife first. I didn't even get "the look".

It is an Imperial Royal Hawaiian Limited made by two luthiers in Santa Barbara. They made 24 of this particular model.

I did a lot of research and snooping and for the price I thought it to be the best guitar I could get for the money.

In the Weissenborn style the choices seem to be the $200 - $300 "economy models" to the $2500 and the "Oh man this is expensive" ones

with very few in the midrange. This one was reasonably priced and after receiving it.........holy smokes............I R happy.

And it is pretty. Oh so pretty. Right now I am just noodling around but I have lessons lined up and am a bit excited once again about playing.

Haven't felt that in a long time. I put away the string winder and am now using a Shubb GS-1 slide and it is very comfortable in my hand.

This all came about because I was playing my Breedlove and was having a bad finger day.

I layed it on my lap and grabbed a string winder and used the handle as a slide. It really wasn't music but it was fun.

It still isn't music but it is still fun. Behold my new friend below.

bf05f3e6-ad4d-4227-a0f5-fe86826c65ef-1.jpg

a513c5c2-5d0b-4cde-9052-04d6b4d02e24.jpg

Good to hear you've got your mojo back Gasbag, that's a nice guitar and it sounds like you'll have a lot of fun with it.

Best Wishes

Chris

gasbag,

Sounds like your alternative approach is a good one. Nice looking guitar. Is it tuned to standard or open tuning? Keep us posted on your progress.

Mike

Hey Gas,

good solution to a painful problem, looks very nice!!

I have no pain problems yet but after reading your post I have started planning to use science if I get the same problem. In particular, chemistry - beer, wine, drugs, etc... cheers :yes:

gasbag,

Sounds like your alternative approach is a good one. Nice looking guitar. Is it tuned to standard or open tuning? Keep us posted on your progress.

Mike

I am starting out in open D. I have found a lot of nice easy tunes for that to begin with.

Open G is also very nice and plentiful. You can use any tuning that is common with a guitar except

for Weissenborns you cannot use tunings such as C6 as there is too much tension.

These guitars are a bit more fragile and they advise that if the 6th string needs to be tuned higher than A, don't do it.

On a solid body lap steel you may just snap a string, say a bad word and restring it.

There are several lap steel tunings that you have to forget about. Other than that they say they are similar to my cigar box guitars as far

as tunings go in that there are no standard ones. You like the way it sounds, play it.

If and when I progress enough to sound like I might know what I am doing I am going to pick up a used solid body

lap steel and try the higher tunings. That just may be a while. :yes: