Navkrish    0

Hi All..

I am new to guitar however i have learned some chords like E,Em,G,C,A,Am,D,Dm.. I can play some songs as well.

my question is how we need to keep our finger on string positions.

for example. take an Em chord. why we need to keep exactly on the specified string using 2 fingers

is thr anyway i can get some tips or learn on these? or what is the trick.

in guitar formula EADGBE we are keeping our 2 fingers on AD ( 2nd fret ) how it is relating with Emin.. Please help

Regards,

Navaneeth

Navkrish    0

Hi.. Thanks for your reply,

I am not able to find an exact answer for my question.. Will you please guide/help?.. let me know if you are not clear my question

Regards,

Navaneeth

Kirk Lorange    128

The chord you're asking about is Em. The notes for Em are E-B-G.

The open position for Em, the one you're asking about, has the notes (from thick string to thin string) E B E G B E. That position consists of three roots (E), one 'third' (G) and two 'fifths' (B ). The two fingers on the A and D strings have turned A and D into B and E.

That should answer your question. The study of chords is quite involved, you'll need to study the subject for a while to fully understand how it all works.

Navkrish    0

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for your quick reply.. from the time i saw your reply i am trying to understand but :( no luck.. i don't understand "The notes for Em are E-B-G." how E-B-G came?

also , i am not understanding below sentence

"The open position for Em, the one you're asking about, has the notes (from thick string to thin string) E B E G B E. That position consists of three roots (E), one 'third' (G) and two 'fifths' (B ). The two fingers on the A and D strings have turned A and D into B and E."

however the guitar formula is EADGBE right but from where EBEGBE came into picture?

Could you please explain.. really appreciated for your help...

eddiez152    129

Hi All..

I am new to guitar however i have learned some chords like E,Em,G,C,A,Am,D,Dm.. I can play some songs as well.

my question is how we need to keep our finger on string positions.

for example. take an Em chord. why we need to keep exactly on the specified string using 2 fingers

is thr anyway i can get some tips or learn on these? or what is the trick.

in guitar formula EADGBE we are keeping our 2 fingers on AD ( 2nd fret ) how it is relating with Emin.. Please help

Regards,

Navaneeth

Is the question asking about why we keep or use specific fingers on the different chords shapes ? As an example I am almost sure that I have never played a G chord properly or as shown in many illustrations. The consequence ? Switching to a C or E is slower and requires a little more effort.

Kirk Lorange    128

I couldn't do a better job explaining to you here the way chords work than I did in the main section of this site.

Go to this page and start reading the plain English course on how music works that I have written for this site. It goes for many pages. You will probably have to read through it a few times. Watch all the videos, several times if necessary. If you still have questions when you've done that, come back here and ask them.

• Like 1

eddiez152    129

I cant help but think this may be what he is talking about. In other words, Is there, and why is there a correct or better sequence to the placement of fingers to minimize the change from chord to chord. Maybe I'm wrong. Dying to findout. Well maybe not actually dying. :)

Here are the 5 major 'open' chords

The green dots show you where to put your finger tips. The red crosses mean 'Don't pluck/play this string'.

The blue numbers indicate the best left hand fingers to use.

1 = index; 2 = middle; 3 = ring; 4 = pinkie.

Navkrish    0

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the link.. I will start reading..

Hi eddiez152,

Yes my question is why we need to keep exactly on the specified string. any way i will start reading if at all i have doubts i will come back :)

Regards,

Navaneeth

eddiez152

eddiez152    129

Naveneeth,

Kirk has got a lot of great information in that link. Its been awhile since I looked at it myself and I probably should go over it again.

There are few ways we all play different chords and may have something to do with our own good or bad habits. If your starting out, try to use the correct fingers as shown because it will make things easier in the future. I might point out though that it is still about comfort for each individual.

Good luck with your learning. And follow the leader :)

6string    81

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the link.. I will start reading..

Hi eddiez152,

Yes my question is why we need to keep exactly on the specified string. any way i will start reading if at all i have doubts i will come back :)

Regards,

Navaneeth

eddiez152

The exact fingers being the ring and middle finger or the exact place on the fretboard being 4th string 2nd fret and 5th string 2nd fret?

eddiez152    129

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

why we need to keep exactly on the specified (A and D) string using 2 fingers

ANSWER

If you were to strum the entire fret board with (A and D)depressed the notes would be as follows:

1. e smallest string or high e

2. b

3. g

4. E depressed 4-2

5. B depressed 5-2

6. e fattest string or low e

how this is related to Emin

QUESTION

and where these notes are coming into the picture ( E-G-B )

ANSWER

Now you can see that while pressing on the two strings for Em the results of the notes used in the chord

ebgEBe when you strum the chord or

6 strings strummed are eBEgbe

5 strings strummed are BEgbe

4 strings strummed are Egbe

3 strings strummed are gbe

2 strings strummed are be but not a full chord now cause you need (3) notes for a full chord

1 string strummed is e major not minor because its alone.

Notes in the chord: E - G - B

• Like 1

eddiez152    129

Here is an example of adding one note or finger to the Em Chord ( E-G-B )

1. e open

2. b open

3. B or 3rd string 4th fret the added finger

4. E or 4-2

5. B or 5-2

6. e open

What started out as an Em now became E5 for example. You notice that the (G) disappeared ?

So if you look at Kirk's Fret Board layout,place the dots and you will clearly see which notes show up in each chord.

Now you will also find the same notes all over the fret board and trying to get to them from the first position is not gonna happen unless you got some long fingers.

eddiez152    129

String,

I Missed this one - Yep 022003 String you got some long finger on that 5-4 combo :)

So what happened to the Emaj? Shape remains the same but. The (G) became a (G#) is what happened.

Navkrish    0

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

why we need to keep exactly on the specified (A and D) string using 2 fingers

ANSWER

If you were to strum the entire fret board with (A and D)depressed the notes would be as follows:

1. e smallest string or high e

2. b

3. g

4. E depressed 4-2

5. B depressed 5-2

6. e fattest string or low e

Guitar formula is EADGBE (Eddie Ate Dynamite Good Bye Eddie) right? but you are telling EBGEBE.. can you explain?

how this is related to Emin

QUESTION

and where these notes are coming into the picture ( E-G-B )

ANSWER

Now you can see that while pressing on the two strings for Em the results of the notes used in the chord

ebgEBe when you strum the chord or

6 strings strummed are eBEgbe

5 strings strummed are BEgbe

4 strings strummed are Egbe

3 strings strummed are gbe

2 strings strummed are be but not a full chord now cause you need (3) notes for a full chord

1 string strummed is e major not minor because its alone.

Notes in the chord: E - G - B

Hi Edward,

my doubts are in blue color

eddiez152    129

Navkrish

In the Em chord there is no (A) that is why the 2nd string is pressed on the 2nd fret to change it to a B

LOW - E(A)DGBE typical OPEN strings

LOW - EBEGBE (Dont put then in reverse) its not- High - egbEBe

WRONG, especially about the dynamite !

Guitar formula is EADGBE (Eddie Ate Dynamite Good Bye Eddie) right? but you are telling EBGEBE.. can you explain?

GUITAR STRING ARE AS FOLLOWS;

1. E YOU WILL FIND THAT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE GUITAR - THE HIGH E

2. B

3. G

4. D

5. A

6. E YOU WILL FIND THAT CLOSER TO YOU. ITS THE FAT STRING - THE LOW E

Kirk Lorange    128

Navkrish: Before asking any more questions here, please get your terminology right.

The guitar tuning is, from thick string to thin string, E A D G B E. There is no such thing as 'guitar formula'.

A guitar with no fingers on the fingerboard makes no music. You need to change those notes EADGBE in order to make music. If you press the fingers on the second fret of strings 4 and 5, you get these notes: EBEGBE. That is a Em chord. Why Em is E-B-G is all part of the way music is structured, a very large subject which I have laid out systematically in the content section of this site. Go back to read what I asked you to read before. In fact, you may have to go right back to Tuning your guitar and then go to What is Music.

Thanks.

6string    81

….. you got some long finger on that 5-4 combo

Used a Baby Tayor for that one.

(Eddie Ate Dynamite Good Bye Eddie)

Never heard that one before

Eddie I hope you don't smoke at the dinner table :eek:

• Like 1

eddiez152    129

Kirk,

I took another look at the Chord drop down menu. Its has been awhile since I took a look. You most certainly has been expanded.

Thanks for the section.

eddiez152    129

I got a question.

If we are to refer to the fret board in letters like EADGBE or 654321 which is something I never have figured out.

How should we describe any chord fingering as to conform to what everyone would know to be standard .

or

Looking at Chord Format

Looking at Tab Format