Desa Kerrigan

Choosing a first time guitar: Deciding on two models and asking for advice

Heya!

So I want to learn electric guitar and I've decided to buy a slightly better than usual model as I believe this will relieve me from unwanted headaches.

So far my favourites have been the Fender Standard Strat with rosewood and the Yamaha 611hfm. My main interest is rock music.

I have discarded things like LP models and SG models since my favourite sounding ones were from Gibson and I've heard horribad things about the lower price models, but feel free to recommend away.

Basically I was thinking maybe somebody here knows well those two guitars I mentioned, and can help me decide, since from my newbie perspective I may commit mistakes.

Thanks.

Desa,

Welcome to the forum. :) I'm an acoustics guy myself but I'm pretty sure there will a lot of electric players here that may help. Good Luck and remember, its gotta fit and try them out if your can.

You might want to share what your budget might be. Dont forget the amp.

Desa,

I hope you've had an opportunity to give each one a test drive. I would go with the one that feels right when played. Good luck!

Mike

One more vote for a test drive. As long a test drive as possible.

I don't care what a guitar looks like. I will pick the one that feels best in my hands.

You can also get it set up by a luthier or a tech to improve it later.

How'do Desa ;)

Either of these Guitars will be great for a beginner - the humbucker on the Yamaha may be better for "Rock" music, depending on what sound you'd aspire to....

i wouldn't rule out the less expensive Guitars available though - i've been playing for about 20 years and i use an Epiphone and a Squier - good Guitars :)

the main thing is to have a "playable" Guitar - and to spend the time playing and learning ;)

Paul..........