sheraton

I bought a new slide

sheraton    20

How'do folks ;)

i bought a new slide yesterday :)

i have tried a few different slides - brass, glass, and the main one i use - a chrome Dunlop slide - i also have an old medicine bottle i found, i loved the tone but couldn't get it on my finger, i tried to cut the neck off and managed to break it, i smoothed the edges off and i can still use it, it's just a wee bit unweildly

i seen one in the Guitar store that i fancied and it was half price so i grabbed a bargain :D

it's a Dunlop Moonshine porcelain slide, i haven't had much time with it - it's going to need a wee bit time getting comfortable with it as i've used my chrome slide for so many years now, i do like the tone, just need to get comfortable with the size weight etc...

post-76128-0-44757900-1391889717.jpg

post-76128-0-49163300-1391889740.jpg

post-76128-0-60023300-1391889760.jpg

post-76128-0-62054700-1391889779.jpg

post-76128-0-50454500-1391889798.jpg

post-76128-0-57056900-1391889828.jpg

Paul.............

micky mac    14

ah i don't want to see it paul i want to hear you tearin up the fretboard with it. :leadguitar:

I used to have one some kind of metal but it rusted badly on the inside and i got fed up washing my finger and binned it now I have a glass one i like but i've noticed lately its gettin scored but that does'nt matter to me i cant use it to hot anyway.

sheraton    20

How'do Micky ;)

when i get to grips with it, i'll post a wee somethin' :smilinguitar:

the good thing wi' this slide is that it has a glaze on the outside and is porous on the inside - so it soaks up sweat and won't slip - so they say ;)

bad thing is - at the moment anyway - it feels a bit strange on my finger, due to the size of the thing really, i've gotten so used to my chrome slide...

just means i have an excuse to play more :D

Paul..........

gasbag    54

I'm with Micky Mac.

Nice pictures, nice lighting, dramatic angles, good focus and an interesting background but we want music.

That's about it..................carry on.................

sheraton    20

how'do folks ;)

i will post a recording soon - maybe even a wee video :)

How'do Eddie ;) - i've been happy with my chrome slide - i got the chrome slide and a glass slide as a gift about 15 years ago - and i just fancied trying something different - this new one caught my eye as i liked the idea of porcelain and it was pretty cheap - i also like the idea of more mass, thicker walls and more weight - and it does seem to have a mellower tone than the chrome - i think i made a good choice, i like the overall tone and i am getting more comfortable with it on my finger :)

next on the list will be one of those solid bar type slides for playing lapsteel :D

Paul...........

sheraton    20

How'do folks ;)

i've no managed a video yet, had a few issues with my laptop - the screen has died :( - i've managed to get it connected to a wee telly tho :)

i recorded a quick bit of Guitar with my new slide - i really do like the new slide - but i've changed string gauge as i'm no longer able to get the prosound strings i used as they have been discontinued :( i bought some Dunlop 10-52s which i quite like but i need to do a wee set-up of my Guitar - the strings i used before were 12-52 with a wound G-string and i preferred these for slide playing....and standard playing too - i'll need to raise the strings for the high E with these new ones, and get used to the lower tension again....no real problem tho ;)

i will do a video when i get the chance :)

New Slide test.mp3

Paul.............

• Like 1

gasbag    54

I like that, sounds very good. Nice and clean.

Definitely a lonely sounding tune to me.

I visioned a lone cowboy on a horse walking through the desert.

That may be just my brain short one cylinder again though.................................. :burst:

sheraton    20

cheers 6string and Gasbag ;)

Definitely a lonely sounding tune to me.

I visioned a lone cowboy on a horse walking through the desert.

Aye that's about right for me the noo ;)

except my horse is steel with pedals and my desert is cold n drizzly.....lol

Paul........

rickyc    0

"i recorded a quick bit of Guitar with my new slide - i really do like the new slide - but i've changed string gauge as i'm no longer able to get the prosound strings i used as they have been discontinued :( i bought some Dunlop 10-52s which i quite like but i need to do a wee set-up of my Guitar - the strings i used before were 12-52 with a wound G-string and i preferred these for slide playing....and standard playing too - i'll need to raise the strings for the high E with these new ones, and get used to the lower tension again....no real problem tho ;)"

When you put the 12-52's on did you change the action?

sheraton    20

How'do Rickyc ;)

I'm always tweaking the set-up on my Guitars - as and when i feel the need - i don't specifically remember adjusting the action when i put the 12-52's on, as it was a good few years ago i started using these - but moving from a lower gauge string to a higher gauge will raise the action slightly - which is a good thing for me, as i like higher action, even for regular playing - when i put these 10-52's on i've had to raise the high E slightly as it was too low for slide and causing a wee bit of fret buzz - this is on my Epiphone Sheraton, so a wee tweak on the high side of the tuno-matic bridge to raise that side slightly :)

Paul................

micky mac    14

Hows it goin Paul hope things are a little better with you. havent been on here much lately, i never heard this till there now sounds good not as fast as i was expecting but enjoyable sounds like something out of breaking bad or a cowboy film like gasbag said a cowboy and sand maybe some wind but definitely no rain some where in america or mexico not scotland :cowboy: