gasbag

Road------------Nick Drake

Hello,

I gave "Road', by Nick Drake a shot and I thought I'd post it up just to show I tried.

There are a few mistakes but this is the most difficult song I have tried so I am happy.

This also the first time I have used 2 mics to record. I bought a pair of condensor mics

and am learning to use them. The sound in this song is a bit odd at times so I know I need

to work on mic placement. No big deal, I just need to experiment a bit. It was played on my

trusty old Fender once again using Audacity.

I will dispense with the usual excuses except for one, which is this:

3/4 of the way through recording the song this little guy showed up and said, "Hi Daddy, whatcha doing?"

STP61655-1.jpg

He then proceeded to sniff and snuffle all over the left channel microphone.

That added nothing to the song so I went back and carried on at an appropriate place just before Mr. Nosy appeared.

And yes, he wears his Harley hat inside the house. His name is Mehl and he is my best friend.

http://www.soundclic...d=12675929&q=hi

I will work on mic placement and practice a bit more and repost this in the future.

I really like the song but it is a stinker for me to play.

DLKnives............eddie.................thanks for listening and the kind words.

I really enjoy Drake's songs and this one is my favorite althought the most difficult for me.

A little experimenting with the mics and a bit more practice and I shall return...................... :smilinguitar:

How'do Gasbag - First off the dug is a cracker ;)

now i'm away to check out the tune - my 'tinternets are real slow so may take a while.....i'll be back :)

Paul.......

:smilinguitar: i liked it :yes: - eventually got to hear it...after midnight ma 'tinternets speeds up...

i listened with my new headphones :walkman: which are professional monitoring headphones.....well so it says on the box :)

i like the wee imperfections in the recording, i'm not a fan of clinical sounding music, i love to hear a bit of the real ambience of the moment.

and the Guitar sounds great on this, i've not been able to record acoustic Guitar with this clarity and natural sounding tone.....

and from what i'm aware, the better quality condenser mics pick up so much that it's hard not to get a wee bit of background noise etc onto recordings (i only have a cheap dynamic mic)

i look forward to hearing more recordings with your new mics ;)

Paul.......

Sheraton,

Thanks, much appreciated.

And yes, these new mics, which are not high end by any means, sure do pick up everything.

I usually wait 5 seconds after pressing "record" to start playing. I can hear myself breathe at times.

The reason I will adjust the positioning of the mics is that I think they are out of phase, which at times I

think I can hear. It's a small echo or it sounds muddy in places to me. I have read a lot lately about mic positioning

and they weren't very close to where they should have been. I put one angled in at the bridge and the other angled

in at the 12th fret but I think they were too close together. I have already begun to experiment and it is sounding better.

It's kind of fun learning how this stuff works.

I also do like some ambient sounds on a recording, it makes it sound real. However I get a bit more than I should mainly

because of my big fat sausage fingers although I am working on technique and it is getting better.

Thanks for the response..............

how'do Gasbag ;)

i'm keen to hear more, i'm sure it will be useful for us members here to share in your experiences and any knowledge/opinions you have regarding dual mic recording, even any problems/issues you find with placement - distance, position etc....

and i like to hear your playing too :)

Paul..........

how'do Gasbag ;)

i'm keen to hear more, i'm sure it will be useful for us members here to share in your experiences and any knowledge/opinions you have regarding dual mic recording, even any problems/issues you find with placement - distance, position etc....

and i like to hear your playing too :)

Paul..........

From what I have seen, heard and read we have at least 573,482 people in here who know exactly how to use mics etc. for recording so I figure I am at the beginning end of this learning curve. The one thing I have read that has been a common opinion is that the mics should be 3 times as far apart from each other as they are from the sound source. That is where I am starting.

So, my mics are about a foot away from the guitar and 3 feet apart. One mic is on the right angled in at the bridge and one mic is on the left angled back to the 12th fret. The only problem with this is that it puts the mic at the bridge farther from the soundhole. If they aren't equal distance from the soundhole phasing problems arise. That can cause one to cancel out the other which can cause the recording to sound tinny or flat and other problems. This is what I think I am hearing in mine. In extreme cases I have read that the mics can cancel each other out. This is just what I have read, I am just starting to figure it out. Sort of.

So why am I doing this? First, it's fun and interesting and to me when 2 channels are used it sounds much fuller. It is a richer sound and it is basically stereo. I get the treble and midrange from the left channel and the midrange and bass from the right. A single channel recording comes at me from right between the speakers with less depth. It doesn't help that I am using a simple two channel interface and Audacity but I am trying to keep the budget more or less equal to my playing skills. :yes:

If I used more than one instrument to record and a lot of mixing involved I imagine things would change drastically but it is always going to be just me and the guitar.

Now, this is all just my opinion based on very little experience and someone who actually knows what they are doing can come in and tell me I am full of hog hooey but that way I will learn and do it better the next time.

By the way, hog hooey isn't too bad when you use the right bbq sauce........... :escape:

Sounds good gasbag great playing. I get the best results with my mike when i put it away lol.

Thanks for the good words.

And yes, I also play much better when my mics are off.

I don't know what it is but when I push the big red "record" button all of a sudden I feel like I am sitting in the principals office. :isaynothing: