Father Goose

Just got me a used SX Strat

Cleaned up, set upped, restrung, de-crudded & waxed!

(Yes. With Olive Oil & Lemon Pledge. I know.... I know... So, plse dont shoot me) :escape:

th_DSCF3939.jpg th_DSCF3938.jpg th_DSCF3940.jpg th_DSCF3933.jpg

Now all i need to complete the 'family' is a 24-fret HSH Floyd equipped axe. :ph34r:

Tks eddiez. What would you recommend to get them frets 'shiny'?

I remember using a super fine grade sandpaper once for my ex-SX gtr in AUS but that was a lot of tedious work & lots of masking tape as well.

looks nice Goose ;)

i had to do a fret leveling job on my Squier strat, and to polish the frets i used a rotary tool - similar to a "dremel" - i used a small polishing disc attachment, made from cotton, or some other fabric, with a polish that came with the tool, which is like wax, i'm not sure exactly what the technical term would be - i had tried steel wool with t-cut (paint cutting compound) which was too messy and not good for the fret board - using the polishing attachment and the wax-like polish gave a really good result - the frets were shining like new - steel wool will scratch the frets - so if they just need cleaned up i'd recommend something less abrasive than steel wool - maybe even one of those cloths you get for cleaning/polishing jewellery - a fret polishing kit would be best naturally ;)

Paul.............

Father Goose,

I was thinking of #0000 super fine steel wool. But I like Paul's answer better. Best not to take any chances damaging the fretboard. Thanks Paul!

Mike

Stew-Mac sells a product that is similar to a pencil eraser. Comes in different stiffness and coarseness. Or, You can do what I've done, just get a good, stiff pencil eraser and rub the frets. No worry about taping off or scratching the finger board. Cleans them up quite well. If they have grooves in them from the strings, you may want to have a good guitar tech or luthier take a look to see if they need dressed (smoothed out & leveled) But if it's just dirt and tarnish, the eraser will do the trick.

You'll have to loosen the strings almost to the point they come off the posts. But this will allow you to access the frets easier.

ALso, I found out, the older and stiffer the eraser, the better. The eraser will start getting black from where it cleans off the tarnis, Just rub that area on a pice of light sandpaper to clean off the black, and the eraser is ready to go again.

Found this out a few months ago. A friend finds olfd guitars at yard sales, takes them to his pawn shop after I clean them up and get them working again. Recently had several guitars that were just really dirty and the frests looked dark gray. Rather than using polish and a polishing wheel, found an old eraser and presto! Like new!

Good luck and have fun!

i like the eraser idea :winkthumb:

i tried it on my Yamaha, it worked good for cleaning the frets, but didn't polish them to the glassy shine like i get from the polishing wheel and polish

i'm going to try and locate an ink eraser - the harder coarser type - and see if that might give a better result ;)

still a good tip for cleaning tho :yes:

Paul.............

Thanks for the great tip AndyS. I tried what Paul suggested & use a ink eraser. Heres some pics arranged in order

th_DSCF3001.jpgth_DSCF3003.jpgth_DSCF3004.jpgth_DSCF3005.jpgth_DSCF3006.jpgth_DSCF3008.jpg

Took me less than 20 mins to complete this. Cost less that $2.00 for the roll of masking tape & eraser (used about 1 feet of the tape). In picture #4 you can see the difference between the 'polished' and the 'unpolished' fret.

Something more I learn too. Cover the pickups when doing this so that eraser dust do not get into the gaps!

Well, you live and learn :(