sheraton

clip-on tuners

sheraton    20

How'do folks ;)

i was thinkin of purchasing a clip-on Guitar tuner, i was looking at a few different options, the main one being - the "Quick tune Snark SN-2"....

10100116562838.jpg

does anyone have any experience with clip-on tuners ? (in particular the Snark), any recommendations of others available ?

the main thing i'm interested in is moving away from concert pitch - A=440

so i have to be able to calibrate the reference pitch - the Snark can adjust the reference pitch from - 415-466 hz

Paul............

randy d    6

Hi

Paul

That tuner is the one I use and I think it is great! My guitar teacher showed me hers and I went out

and picked one up. I have two other clip on tuners, but I like this one the best.

sheraton    20

cheers Randy ;)

the Snark looked to be the best of the bunch that i've looked at, lots of features and the biggest range of calibration.....and from the reviews i've seen the tuning software is said to be very accurate.....

thanks for the reply - the fact you prefer this over your other clip-ons is recommendation enough for me :yes:

i will purchase this on Friday hopefully :)

Paul.............

mset3    158

Paul,

Looks like you've already made up your mind. I use the ZoiD Z-1000. It doesn't have the calibration range (433-447) of the Snark, but it is a pretty decent tuner. Here's a copy of the Operating Guide.

Mike

ZoID Tuner.pdf

sheraton    20

how'do Mike ;)

that tuner does look pretty decent i like the colour changing display, i think it may be the same as an unbranded one i had considered - (which is good to know as i couldn't get the full spec on that one) this only just falls short on the calibration range for me - thanks for the info, very useful :yes:

Paul............

6string    81

I have a Parksons - Chromatic Tuner IMT 500

The Snark is newer and has more advanced technology but according to this video it holds up well.

I've never tried any other clip-on so I really can't judge them.

I actually have better results (or at least in my own mind's ear) tuning with an audible tuner like the one on this site

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/onlinetuner.html

but in a noisy atmosphere I think the clip-on's vibration mode has an advantage.

Other than the reading it in the sunlight thing, I think the snark may be better. (assuming what the guy in the video says it true, everybodys eyes are different)

6string    81

Looking at this again, mine is slightly different

the video is of a "Chromatic Tuner INT-500" and mine is a "Chromatic Tuner IMT-500" N vs M

and mine says "Parksons" and the video is "Intelli" other than that everything looks the say.

sheraton    20

thanks for the video 6tring ;)

i watched another couple of videos after that one, the intelli looks good, i haven't came across that one in any of the shops i can visit tho, i also watched a video with a Korg tuner against a Snark and a couple of others - the reviewer gave the Korg his vote......

i have a pedal tuner on my pedal board, but that is set at A=440 with no adjustment available, and i have a tuner built in to my 8track, that is adjustable from A=435 - A=445 - just out of the range i would like to tune to - i also have an app on my phone which i have set the calibration as desired, but it's too much hassle to use and not as accurate as i'd like..........

i'm still leaning towards the Snark, but i'll see what the Guitar store has to offer tomorrow :)

thanks for the replies and suggestions folks ;)

Paul.............

sheraton    20

how'do folks ;)

i managed a visit to the Guitar store today :) there were a few different options for clip-on tuners - Fender, Korg etc... however i stuck with my initial thoughts on this - the Quicktune Snark SN-2 - which i managed to purchase a wee bit cheaper than the list price :)

it's a tidy wee unit with all the features i need - i'm not sure the metronome is of any use tho, as it doesn't seem to make any sound, a visual metronome seems useless to my mind - however for tuning it's very easy to use, the display is good, vibration sensor works well and it seems to be very accurate, also the SN-2 has an extended range and a built-in mic and vibration sensor meaning it can be used to tune most instruments, not just Guitar.

on first impression i'd recommend this to anyone looking for a clip-on tuner

thanks for the suggestions and info folks ;)

Paul............

sheraton    20

how'do folks ;)

another wee update on this one - after tuning my Guitars with this tuner (including tuning a new set of strings i put on my Sheraton today) i'm of the opinion that the tuning sounds sweeter and more accurate than tuning with my Fender pedal tuner or the tuner in my Boss 8-track :yes:

i think the vibration sensor is a better way to tune a Guitar - rather than plugged in to a standard tuner - the signal seems less jumpy, if that makes sense....

so i give the Snark 10 out of 10 :thumbup: .............time will tell if it stays that way, but for now i'm very happy with it :D

Paul...............

tinsmith    2

I use that Snark & one that was similar for chip clips......Expensive bag clips......

They both kept eating batteries.....I use a small Korg now....no problem..

sheraton    20

I've never tried a clip-on tuner before and thought of getting one soon.

BTW how accurate are they when used to set up intonation?

How'do Goose ;)

as far as the Snark goes - it seems to be very accurate for intonation :yes:

tinsmith - aye, batteries may prove to be a concern, but i'm so happy with the accuracy and the calibration range that i think i'll just have to stock up on batteries - i can get them quite cheap here :)

Paul...........

OldG    3

The Snark seems to have the best battery life compared to the other clip on tuners I have tried... works well on bass, too.

Royc    0

I have the blue snark. It is very easy to read, better than my old korg clip tuner. Just be careful not to drop it. Mine sounds like there is a chipped off plastic inside. Quite annoying when clipped on an acoustic as it also vibrates. Other than that, it is a very useful tuner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mset3    158

Paul,

i just dropped my ZoiD tuner yesterday and broke off one side of the clip. I'm off to the music store this morning and I will take a look at the Snark.

Mike

sheraton    20

how'do folks ;)

i've been using this Snark(SN-2) for a few days now - ok, maybe not quite long enough to be sure there are no issues with it - that said, i think this is the best, most accurate tuner i've used. if you need a tuner or have issues with your current tuner......or if you just have enough pennies to speculate - i'd recommend purchasing one of these :yes::smilinguitar:

sheraton    20

Paul,

i just dropped my ZoiD tuner yesterday and broke off one side of the clip. I'm off to the music store this morning and I will take a look at the Snark.

Mike

maybe it's a sign ;)

i haven't tried any other clip-ons, but the Snark is so accurate and easy to use, there were cheaper tuners in the Guitar store and i was tempted to save some pennies. i'm glad i stuck with the Snark tho :) it gets my recommendation :yes:

Paul........