justinthyme

Riffstation chord ID accuracy - any gurus out there? Kirk?

Just downloaded the trial version of this program. The blurb is promising, but I already have an observation/question for any who have some experience with it.

Many years ago I posted a backing track on this site made with Mixcraft, in which the chords moved between Am and D, back and forth. Kirk was good enough to do a really tasty nylon string overdub to it and I used that track as my test. Now, Riffstation (RS) picked up C and F#m chords in the track in addition to the original Am and D chords - and I'm keen to find out whether it (RS), or Mixcraft is correct before I purchase the paid-for version of the programme.

That said, in 5 minutes I did get a glimpse into what a useful program RS might be for isolating and learning solo work. 29 days still to go.

The track can be found in this thread:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/topic/18097-santana-esque/

for anyone interested.

BTW - I'd still love to hear some more takes over the backing track! Chrispy did a great one, but its been deleted from his server.

Ian

What? You disappear for years and don't say hi first?! Just kidding. It's good to know you're still kickin' and still twangin'.

What's the name of the original Santana tune? I'll have a listen and let you know if I hear those extra chords.

• Like 1

Hey Kirk! Good to hear from you. Yes, still kickin' but now in the UK winter so plenty of time to devote to twangin' again - haven't picked up a guitar for all those years. Fingers are mush, but never too late to return to the fold, right?.

Anyway, there is no original Santana tune - I just did the track from scratch in Mixcraft and posted it here. I recall you commenting at the time you did the overdub that there were only 2 chords to play over (Am and D) - and that was what I recalled too. Which is why I was wondering where RS was picking up the F#m and C. Since the track was cobbled together from loops those chords may indeed be in there (?) but my ear hasn't the training to know that. Interested to hear your take on the matter.

Thanks for the reply and give my best to Clancy (and Georgia.though of course we never met).

Ian

There are no F#m or C chords in that track, Ian. Of course, D has a F# in it, the 3, and C is the relative major of Am, so I guess that's why the error came about.

No, never too late!

Very bery interesting :yes: I tried it in a trial version of Capo 3 and this is what I got, which is the intro before the rhythm guitar

Somet(h)ing crazy go'n on.

post-88-0-61981500-1390234528.jpg

Thanks Kirk and 6string. Even with fairly simple tracks the program is fallible. Not bad though, given the complexity of music. I may buy the program anyway and bear its shortcomings in mind. The slow-down and looping section is pretty good and I still have to explore RS in more detail.

justintyme,

I don't know much about Riffstation, but it is probaby as Kirk mentioned picking up the pedal tones (bass strings) and naming the chords chords.

Mike