Father Goose

Nut question.

The Rocker RG-100 guitar I recently acquired has a slight string buzz problem at the 1st fret of the hi-E string. ONLY at this fret. Raising the string action does not help much to alleviate the buzz issue.

Looks like the nut is chipped at this end & is sitting kinda low. I dont want to replace the nut cos I dont think the exact replacement is available here. I am thinking of switching to 11 gauge strings soon (first time trying this gauge) for this guitar

Taking the string gauge change into account....

Would it be better to 'shimmy the nut up' or file down the offending fret? Or fill the groove with something so that the string sits higher?

Or put some plastic thingie (I'll find something) 'after' the nut to raise the string a bit. This will of course affect intonation.

My concerns:

Shimmiying will require me to remove the nut which I'm really not comfortable with as I dont have the proper tools.

Filing down is easy but what will happen if I want to switch gauges?

To fill up the groove, what can I use?

'Something after the nut' sounds like a good easy-peasy option but how bad will it affect intonation even after setup?

If you've any experiences & thoughts on this please do share.

Thanks & I hope this post makes sense :P

carol m    64

Hi Goose, why not change just the high e string with a range of gauges and see what happens - it's cheaper to buy individual strings until you know if it will work.

mset3    158

Father Goose,

I don't think changing string guages will make any difference. The string will still sit low in the nut. If it is a slight string buzz, try putting a small piece of paper or foil under the string. I had the same problem and it was a temporary fix. If you take the nut off and shim it, it will more than likely affect all of the strings across the nut and raise the action. As far as filling the groove with something, I am not aware of anything that will permanently fix the problem. I believe the only real fix is to replace the nut. Best to let someone who knows what they are doing to handle recutting a nut. Filing down the fret could affect the other frets down the line.

Mike

thanks for all the replies. Just got back from the store with a pack of 11's. Cant wait till the morn :)

Carol.... great idea. But patience is not my best virtue! Not many stores here sell individual strings so i'll give this a pass.

6string.... yes all is good with the first fret capo'ed. All strings ring clear & true

mset3... might try the 'foil under the string' solution. Sounds like it might just work. Was not aware that filing down the first fret could affect the rest. Phew.... Thanks for the heads-up.

Will update when i get to it.

BTW, would you suggest that I widen the nut slots for the 11s or just let it be?

mset3    158

Father Goose,

I wouldn't mess with the slots on the nut. Another area you really need to know what you are doing. Hope the foil is a good temporary fix.

Mike

Tks Mset. I didnt widen the nut.

So I tried various materials... plastic drinking straw, toothpick, a sliver of metal, G string, X-ray film, tin foil, paper, cardboard ....

It did raise the action with no fret buzz evident but the string sounded 'dampened' for all except for the G string across the nut slot. Gives out excellent ringing brilliance, sustain & clarity. Sweet.

And then the inevitable did happen & the string broke at the nut.

Fortunately I had a spare pack of 09s and took out the G string for a replacement.

Ended up with the x-ray film. Heres a pic. Needs to be trimmed. Not as clear sounding as I'd hoped but its gives the best clarity amongst all the other materials.

Yup, a replacement nut wouldve been a better solution but you know me. A cheapskate I am ;P.

th_DSCF3873-1.jpg

I do like creative (cheapskate) solutions to problems - well done.

:thumbup: thanks everyone for the input!

With the 11s, its sounds different. More 'full' and the low E isnt 'muddled' anymore when utilising hi-gain settings. Skipping straight from 9s to 11s needs getting use to. I dont need to re-set the intonation but just lower the action a bit.. The guitar stays in tune much better now... more stable with the 11s. Maybe cos I cant bend the strings that much. Truss rod adjustment is not required too even though I was expecting it with thicker gauge strings. Neck has slightly more relief than before but probably for the better.

Will try to post some sounds when i can.

Iron Maiden anyone?

micky mac    14

I had an epiphone acoustic a couple of years ago the nut was to high on it the lad in the shop said he would fix it for 60 euros and the price of the nut and new strings, so i took it home and being as gentle as i am i used a hack saw to lower the strings but i sawed to much :escape: i know embarrassing but to late when your finished to raise the the string that was to low i just used an of cutting of one of the new strings to get more height it did'nt do much for the intonation of the guitar though but i gave it to my nephew and him and his sister still use it as a drum lol.