not sure if i can stand the test

i'll struggle with the heartache,

still i wish you all the best

i know i'll miss you every day, i miss you now

i'll save all my kisses for you forever and a day

i wish i could kiss you now

i know i'll miss you every day, i really miss you now

if it's not supposed to be, i know i have to set you free

but it's too hard to let you go..........

if i can get it together i'll post a recording.....

can't say i'll enjoy this one, but have to vent some emotion

Paul.....

sheraton    20

thanks Carol ;)

i'll put a positive spin into the feel of the music with this one - there's more to the story than the lyrics suggest (no infidelity is involved) so it's more "love song" than "breakup song" ............just a wee bit bitter sweet........ and the story may still have a twist to come, life works in mysterious ways sometimes

Paul......

carol m    64

thanks Carol ;)

i'll put a positive spin into the feel of the music with this one - there's more to the story than the lyrics suggest (no infidelity is involved) so it's more "love song" than "breakup song" ............just a wee bit bitter sweet........ and the story may still have a twist to come, life works in mysterious ways sometimes

Paul......

Send me her email address and I'll tell her to pull herself together - has she heard you play and sing???? How could anyone not be won over by that? Are you going to play your song to her???

Oh yes, great lyrics. :)

PS Don't resort to the bottle, that would only make everything worse.

hearinvoices    12

Paul,

I know you.....and there is no doubt in my mind that you can come up with a tune that will express the way you feel on this !!! you have a God given talent and I will be waiting with wanting ears to hear how you put this to music.

Sometimes the worst in life brings out the best in talent.

take care my friend ,

Johnny

sheraton    20

cheers Eddie;) Carol - i'm not sure Sarah (have to use her name, can't call her "she" lol...) is ready to hear this song yet, one day maybe. and i appreciate the advice;) rest assured the bottle is not an option, no sorrows will be getting drowned..............

Johnny - Good to hear from you buddy ;) expressing feelings through a song can sometimes seem like a curse - especially when it's feelings you'd rather not accept...... i'm not sure this will be a good song but it will be true :)

thanks folks it means a lot to me ;)

i have recorded a ruff take i'll post.....

Paul...........

carol m    64

Brilliant, and I love the soloing. I know you always like to sing/write upbeat or 'happy' songs, but you have a talent for the sadder ones too, and sad songs are my favourite sort of song - along with millions of others on the planet.

Also, losing someone called Sarah has happened to others too...I believe his name was Dylan - he turned his experience into a whole CD - maybe more than one.

sheraton    20

thanks Carol - would you say this comes across as a positive song ? i know it's a sad song to me, but i have too much respect for Sarah to do self pity. i really do want the best for her, and i don't want to make her feel bad, i wanted this to be a positive sad song.....lol.....if there is such a thing

hi Paul

Sorry to hear whats happened.

Great tune tho feels sad. Love the soloing.... less is more I say. Dont change this.

I dunno, maybe if the arrangements were change (I'm thinking Daughtry-style), it would change the whole vibe of the song.

.... crashing symbals when you hit the chorus, more overdriven gtrs, screaming vocals (ala Steven Tyler).... Yeah, asking too much.

Just the rocker in me talking' -_-

sheraton    20

cheers Goose ;)

i'd have preferred maybe to change a few things on this recording - better drum track and an acoustic Guitar - but i don't like to work too long on a song, as i like to try and capture the moment, overall feel is more important than the odd mistake or dodgy mix etc.... so i'll probably leave this as the finished recording........i could nit pick - Guitar tracks are first take, Bass 2nd take, and i had to do a couple of passes with the vocals to get a decent take, i'm not hittin the melody on the chorus as i intended, but i'm happy it says what i needed to say :)

i'd like to be able to sing like Tyler tho ;) i don't really care for the Guy, but what a voice - have you heard the "Honkin' on BoBo" album ? - "You Gotta Move" great version ...........

Paul..............

carol m    64

It definitely feels like a sad song (good, because I like sad songs), and it's definitely not negative or self pitying. I think an obviously positive song on a sad subject would not sound right. A moving on song could be positive, but this is more a 'sorry you've gone but good-luck anyway' sort of song and the music fits that feel - my opinion anyway.

One song that amazed/confused me when I first heard it was 'What about me?'. I couldn't believe someone would have the ego (and lack of embarrassment in confessing those feelings) to write/sing those lyrics, but... it's a great song (except the meaning of the words) which kind of grates with my inner me when I hear it, even though I always want to belt it out, anthem style, when I hear it.

I'm sure there were/are millions of people who feel those emotions but keep it to themselves....which is probably why it was such a hit - it's still a great song though, grrr! :D

Carol got it spot on :winkthumb: imo.

Had a listen to the song a few more times. Its a great tune. Kinda grows on you & I think you should stick with this version & tweak it a bit.

Adding acoustic would be a great idea and a 'slow-rock' kinda drums to go with it maybe.

I love how your vocals sound. If you've some time, could you share how its recorded & what plug-ins used? Maybe it'll work on my 'bad singing' :P

Tyler, a super frontman & his vocals incomparable. "You've got me started", not one of my favs but he can really belt it out!

Dont get me started on them front men... :lol:

Hope you finish it soon. Cant wait to hear it.

sheraton    20

thanks for taking the time to listen and for the replies folks :winkthumb: i really do appreciate it :yes:

Carol - would that be Kenny Rogers, "what about me" - i checked the lyrics out for that one, have to say i'm not too sure what is being expressed in those lyrics.......but i like truthful lyrics even if they are hard to hear or understand

Goose - i used my Boss 8track for this, so no plug-ins as such, just used the preset patches - the drum track is built in to the 8track, as are patches for Guitar, Bass, Vocals - i think on the Vocal patch there is a wee bit delay(subtle) and reverb. it's all plug in and play, there's no real editing after the recording, i set my sounds before i record, then i only really have to adjust levels and set the panning, i sang three vocal tracks, starts with one Vocal, then when the drums come in i have 2 vocal tracks, then add the 3rd Vocal track for the chorus ...

i'm not sure i'll redo anything on this, this was more about releasing the feeling rather than capturing the feeling - if that makes sense

and it does help, i am feeling better - and as i said the story is far from over - the next chapter may have a twist

thanks again folks :yes:

Paul.............

carol m    64

Hi Paul - Kenny Rogers??? I don't think so - I hadn't realised he even had a song of that title. I meant the Shannon Knowles song. I had a better listen to it because of this thread.

OK it starts alright with the little boy - fair enough for a kid. But the grown ups? When I listened again, the video made is seem less whiiney and self-pitying - it's the lines: 'what about me, it isn't fair' that grate with me. I know people do take more than they give, which is not fair, so I don't mind that line, but the way the lyrics focuses on 'it isn't fair' etc seems petulant and immature to me. Oh dear, I'm going to get into hot water here..... :D Still a great song though!! :escape:

sheraton    20

Hey Carol ;)

when i had a look for "what about me" i found a few versions - out of the artists i seen i figured Kenny Rogers to be more up your street....

i agree the " it isn't fair " sentiment seems selfish and immature to me..............

if you truly LoVe someone you want the best for them, and for them to be happy.......... even if it breaks your heart

oh aye ;) a wee workin holiday down under certainly wouldn't hurt :) it's so cold n grey here at the minute, i'm hoping we get snow to brighten things up a bit :)

Paul...

"Goose - i used my Boss 8track for this, so no plug-ins as such, just used the preset patches - the drum track is built in to the 8track, as are patches for Guitar, Bass, Vocals - i think on the Vocal patch there is a wee bit delay(subtle) and reverb. it's all plug in and play, there's no real editing after the recording, i set my sounds before i record, then i only really have to adjust levels and set the panning, i sang three vocal tracks, starts with one Vocal, then when the drums come in i have 2 vocal tracks, then add the 3rd Vocal track for the chorus ..."

Thanks for sharing this. The vocals sounds great. Sounds like 2-3 fellas singing together so I thought some 'chorus' or some other efx was used. So you actually recorded 3 vocal tracks & 'layer' them over each other from the chorus onwards? Never thought of doing this. I might just try that one day.

I did try once by duplicating my vocal track and 'layer' them over each other. Came out terrible/gibberish. LOLz. No amount of efx can 'rescue' bad singing :(

Love yer songwriting & tunes. Good to know that you've got your chin up!

cheers, goose

sheraton    20

How'do Goose ;)

i have tried copying a single vocal track and doubling it up - but i didn't like the result - the exact same take on 2 tracks doesn't give the same effect - maybe with different eq, delay, or other fx on each track it could work...

i prefer to sing (on this track) 3 full separate takes of the vocal each on it's own track - then i can mix 1,2 or 3 vocals depending on the track and the dynamic change i'm after - also, the difference between takes can sometimes add a wee bit of harmony, if i've went higher or lower or just way off pitch on a certain part, and sometimes i intentionally sing a higher and a lower take of a full track...

i prefer not to add fx to any tracks - reverb i use all the time, the same setting on all tracks of a song, with the wet/dry mix adjusted for the individual tracks - less on the Bass Guitar and Drum tracks, a wee bit more on rhythm Guitar, and a wee bit more again on lead Guitar and Vocal tracks.....

and sometimes a wee bit of subtle delay - on vocals or lead Guitar.......

also i love using my Boss BR-864 8-track - rather than my computer for recording - i'm hoping to upgrade to the newer version, as the one i have has seen a lot of use and is starting to play up, i've already had to strip it for some repairs - the newer version also has a lot of extra features - can be used stand-alone or with computer software (cubase etc...)

Paul.........

micky mac    14

This is an exellent song Paul, its a sad song for sure when you really listen to or read the words for it, but it sure would'nt make me feel sad when i listen to it if i did'nt already know you from here it has a good beat and that solo man i don't know how you do it time after time you get it spot on :jawdrop::clap: :clap: thats a serious talent you have.

Keep your chin up and hope fully everything will work out for you soon.

sheraton    20

cheers Micky ;)

for lead breaks - i just try to play without thinkin', improvise and see what happens :dunno:

i purchased a new set of "Superlux HD-661" headphones yesterday, i listened to a couple of my recordings and they sound completely different - the headphones i've been using for the last couple of years are inexpensive ones, which are not bad, but they are Bass heavy - these new ones i got are more of a "monitoring" headphone, so supposed to be more neutral sounding - i tend to record and mix with headphones, so i'm looking forward to hearing the difference with these new ones :)

thanks for the kind words and thoughts - :beer:

Paul...........

carol m    64

Hi Paul, every song I hear these days reminds me of your current situation. :( For example, 'It's all over now, Baby Blue' - I heard the Joan Baez version on the radio, but I prefer the Dylan version. Still thinking of you. :grouphug:

sheraton    20

thanks Carol ;)

i hope i've not spread the "feelin' bad" vibe - i wear my heart on my sleeve, but i don't feel sorry for myself - i should have maybe titled this thread differently - i was thinkin' of the line "blues is just a good man feelin' bad, thinkin' about the woman he once was with" - not that i think of myself as a "good" man, but i don't think i'm a "bad" man.....lol......

i do appreciate the thought and the kind words, and we're lucky to be able to share our thoughts/feelings on here :grouphug:

here's a more positive tune - i'm getting there and i'll be feeling this way soon :yes:

Paul..........