Cloudylissa

I'm new...What sort of strings should I get?

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forums and basically a beginner, just been learning chords on a new acoustic I got for Christmas. It's an Ibanez PF4 (see attached pic).

The strings that came on it are metal and seem really thick to me. I already have a callous built up on three fingers on my left hand from playing, but I like the sound though...I like heavier sound.

I think I need to get new strings, but I want to get good ones and I have no idea what to get or what the options even really are. Simple computer searches seem pretty overwhelming. Any suggestions?

Also, when I take it in, is there anything else I should ask to get done to it being that I just got it? It was used, from a pawn shop.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mel

post-127566-0-06857600-1389820087.jpg

Welcome to the forum :)

As beginner, I think you should put Xtra Lights on the guitar for awhile. That will help you with chording at lot.

Enjoy your learning experience, and keep it fun.

Here are a couple of choices.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M1000?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLjerZuhgbwCFawRMwod_A8Aug

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AcPEL?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLv-x7ihgbwCFctAMgodoREAYA

Cloudylissa,

The Xtra Lights will help out a lot. It won't take long to build up those calluses. In the meantime keep playing and have fun. Welcome to the forum.

Mike

Cloudylissa,

Be careful not to overdue it on playing time. Let those calluses and finger muscles build up. For now, 1/2 hour to one hour at a time.

Fingertip callouses are marks of a guitarist. It would hurt less once you got them. You will also notice that notes will sound clearer than when you don't have callouses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk