GeoNjules

I just cracked the neck on my electric. Is it junk now?

Guitar strap caught onto my foot and ripped it right off the stand.....I feel like crying. Its about a 3 in crack that runs with the neck, not across it. I cant tell how deep it is but it seems to be a hairline crack. Its holding tune so far but im wondering if down the road this might get worse. Is it scrap?

GeoNjules,

If the crack is along the grain of the wood, I woiuld think over time with the tension from the strings, it would get worse. You could possibly get hurt. They make some really good carpenters glue today. If all else fails, a woodworking shop may be able to fix it.

Mike

GeoNjules,

No, I don't think you will be able to glue it. I would keep playing it and watch the crack. If it gets longer over time along the grain, there could be cause for alarm. If it's an expensive guitar, you may look into replacing the neck.

Mike

Does look a bit nasty. But I think you need to get glue in there to prevent moisture setting in and possibly create a swelling effect. Put it in, overdue it, scrape off access after its dry. Add some color to a clear coat.

Good fix it example: HOPE IT HELPS

Agree with Eddie. If you don't feel comfortable, take it to a good guitar tech or luthier. They have syringes specifically for tiny cracks like that. I don't think it would just split on you while playing and hurt you. However, It will get bigger with time, then become unplayable. Only concern I would have is since it looks so close to the fretboard, then it could take some extra work (like dealing with the actual fretboard) to fix it later.