sheraton

Anybody fancy a collaboration ?

just wondered if anybody fancied a collaboration of some kind ? - i'm open to any suggestions - as long as it's musical ;)

if anyone fancies singing, or playing Guitar or whatever i could record something to play to

or if anyone has ideas for lyrics, or Guitar parts or anything we could write a wee tune..... or anything you fancy, i'm up for it ;)

i've got a constant flow of ideas, but working on your own can be........not boring but..... tedious maybe ???

and it's good to come together and be inspired by and hopefully inspire others :)

plus the forum could use some more activity :D

Paul........

Actually paul i don't know if you'd be interested but my 9 year old daughter was trying to write a song the other day and she sang it to me i thought it was good for her first attempt but i havent got a clue how to sing or even find the chords for it. i don't suppose you'd be up for making it into a proper little song for her if you are i could type it up later on we could play it and a little solo.

it would make her year.

Aye Micky, that sounds like a plan ;) and right up my street, if you're able to record her singing her idea even if just a rough recording with your phone would be good to get the idea, cool if not,

do you think she'd like to sing on a finished recording ? and would you like to play Guitar on it ? i'm flexible ;) i could do a full recording or a backing track with the chords or whatever you'd prefer...

if you type the lyrics out and let me know what you'd like i'll try and make it so :)

Paul..........

Cool Paul, Shes gone to stay with my sister for the night i don't suppose you'd sing it then when she gets back she could try and copy your timing and all that. I'd be open to playing guitar as well as you if you have the time and we could leave a couple of bars for a solo to. maybe you could do a recording and i could try to fit some of my playing in to. Here is the lyrics she wrote im just typing them out as she wrote them so you can do as you like with them i don't mind and im sure she will be amazed to hear anything.

WITHOUT YOU

I'm like a hump without it's back

I'm like santa without his sack, without you, without you

i want you back and i need you now

it was all going fine untill you said you wanted her instead

and i went of and got all upset

you said you wanted me back

i said yeah yeah like thats true

you said it now you can't regret it

it does'nt feel the best now does it.

thats it paul i did'nt realise it was so small till i typed it out theres probably not much you could do with so little words but if she just hears some drums and a guitar with it she'll be amazed.

That's cool Micky........i've done some of my own songs wi' less lyrics, there's plenty to work with here ;)

how do you think it should sound ? i had an initial idea of something simple with a kinda cheery pop vibe - not necessarily the vibe of the lyrics for a grown up - but from a young'uns point of view, don't want to go all Leonard Cohen and serious - more a pick-me-up type thing. i'll have a wee strum n try a couple of things n see wha'gwan :smilinguitar:

Paul.......

How'do Micky, i should have something to hear soon ;)

i've tried to add a wee bit of a Rock edge to the idea i started with,

i forgot to ask your daughters name, do you think she will mind if i sing "him" instead of "her" - and - i "feel" like - on the first 2 lines, rather than "i'm" like ?......i really don't want to change anything, but i keep hitting a bad bum note at the start :(

here's the first take on the idea i got from the lyrics......ruff, as is my way :) i've not done any lead on this take, and i forgot to cut the drums in time at the end.....

the chords are D / C / G / C

with a wee chord change on just these two lines

A //////////////////////////// / C / G

and i went off and got all upset

A ////////////////////// C / G

you said you wanted me back

back to D / C / G / C

when the vocals end the whole progression repeats twice.....

Without You (take1).mp3

tell Aimee she is a good wee song writer :yes: ..... and when she gets older, if any boys make her feel like this - uncle Paul will come over n sort them out :boxing:

Paul.........

WOW thats class paul :clap: :clap: you really could make a song out of anything i'll have a jam with it and see if i can add a bit to it but your a hard act to follow.

I don't know where the lyrics came out of must be some of them stupid american teenage shows she watches 24-7 i couldnt believe it when i read it. I cant wait to play it to her she'll love it. :beer:

Cool Micky, glad you like it and i hope Aimee likes it too......i had fun doing it myself :)

if i can i'll maybe try and tidy up the Guitars and Bass a wee bit...

a wee tip for jamming to this - the overdriven guitar, i'm just playing the powerchords - so playing along to that will help to get the feel for it, even if just hitting each chord once, should help with the getting the feel for the timing of the chord changes - as for lead fills - i'm not sure what scale would work best - major pentatonic in D maybe - other than using the chords, i tend to just hear wee melodies and play them i don't really think scales, even if i end up playing within a scale, i'm not really thinkin that way myself...

if you'd like a different mixdown - any tracks removed etc... gi'es a wee shout and i'll sort that out ;) or if you'd like any help with ideas to play...

she's got a good talent for writing already - those last four lines are Quality - a good resolution to the song :thumbup1:

Paul..... :beer:

Hows it going Paul i was'nt on here in a few days i was over in my parents house. Aimee could'nt believe how good it sounded she has played it to anyone willing to listen to it a dozen times i can even hear her listening to it in her room on her own thanks a million you really made a young girl very happy :beer:

i havent had a chance to have a jam with it yet but i will i think the chords are moving to fast for me to improvise using chord shapes just yet so ill give it a stab with the d major. :clap: :clap:

I'm glad Aimee was happy with it Micky :)

it's nice to work on something that has a bit of a personal touch to it............i left enough space on the recording to add another verse and some lead lines......does Aimee have any more lines for another verse or would she like me to add some ? i had some ideas runnin through my head when i recorded this but i wanted to stay as true as possible to the original lines...

staying within the D scale should work well with this, and aye i think it will be major rather than minor...

if you played the D barre chord shape - up at the 10th-12th frets, then down 2 frets to the C, then the G starting on the A string up at the 10th-12th frets again (using the standard A chord shape with the barre added).... it's easier to make the changes as they are grouped closer - try just playing the first 3 notes of each chord as an arpeggio - just one note after the other - played in time you should have 1 beat on each chord, which will help make the changes easier - also when you get to the G chord you don't need to play the C chord after that - staying on the G chord barre shape and adding a couple extra notes would actually sound better (to my ears) than going back to the C chord

i.e - if the G chord is (1) - (i'd play without the full barre (2)- first finger just on the A string - miss out the 10th fret on the high E)

(1)................................(2)

E - 10............E - x

B - 12............B - 12 (13)

G - 12............G - 12

D - 12............D - 12

A - 10............A - 10

E - X.............E - X

(full stops are just to seperate the two examples)

playing the first four notes on the G (individually)- then adding the 13th fret B string note - back to 12th fret on B string then 12th on the G string - playing 7 notes individually - the 13th fret note gives your C without having to change position - and playing 7 notes on beat should leave 1 beat to change back to the D....

on this chord shape i'd play first finger on the A string then barre the D, G, B strings with my third finger and use my pinkie to play the 13th fret note on the B string..........

if that's of any help or even makes sense i'm no sure.....

Paul.........

Paul hows things i havent really been on in a while i moved house and the internet was s**t but i got it sorted this morning so far so good. She still listens to it but she can't come up with any more lyrics so feel free to do whatever you want with it we would love to hear anything you do.Your advise does make sence to me ive been playing over it but i cant seem to come up with anything decent yet. Im still playing over a couple of your backing tracks from a while back the one from the thread you started with the 2 guitar tracks in Em i love that one and the one with the verse in Fm - Cm love that one to hopefully i can record some thing that does'nt sound to bad soon lol.

how'do Micky :)

i hope your house move wasn't too stressful, and all the best in your new home ;)

i've not had a chance to get on here much lately - i started a new job window cleaning :) 12 hour night shift tho :( but....4 nights on 4 nights off :)

i'll be off monday morning til friday night, so hopefully get some time to work on this ;)

a wee idea i had for lyrics for a 2nd verse

i feel like i've been dumped, and given the sack

like someone gave the dog a bone then stole it right back

without you, without you

don't want you back, i don't need you now

it was all going fine until you strayed

and you went chasing him instead

i went off and got all upset

and you decided that you wanted me back

i said yeah yeah yeah yeah, that's just like you

you said it, and now you regret it

it doesn't feel the best now does it

just an idea stickin with some of the original lines and adding some wee changes......

for lead Guitar parts, i thought the vocal melody played on Guitar would work on this tune - there's a wee challenge for you, try finding the vocal melody on the Guitar, ;)

Paul...........

Thanks Paul it was slightly stressfull we moved from Dublin back home to Tyrone new house new schools the works but thankfully getting settled in now.

Congrats on the new job there not easy to come by these days thats the main reason we moved north again hopefully i can get back to work sooner than than in the south.

I like the lyrics for the second verse i showed them to aimee she loves them we look forward to hearing it put together

i'll get to work on learning the melody today i should be able to copy your singing, i've actually been learning Aimee the corrs version of little wing on the tin whistle this week so im trying to learn how to pick up the melody to some songs anyway its a slow process at the minute but i'll bet like everything it will get faster with some practise.

Well done guys, I haven't been around much lately - very busy currently, but expect to be back here more just before Christmas - with luck.

Wow!! All I can say is, Taylor Swift started at a young age, so can Aimee!! The simple chord progressions seem to be the best. Easy to follow and I believe they are successful since the melody over them is kept uncluttered. So, easy to remember. I think you folks could have a bit of a hit on your hands!!

Hi paul! i suppose you are not interested on any cover collab video?

I play the guitar and i like almost all clasic or hard rock like acdc, guns n roses, led zeppelin, zztop, pearl jam, pink floyd.... anything.

if you are interested, just send me a pm!

this is my lastest acdc cover