shonie777

Guitar Rescue: Epiphone Scroll Guitar

This was found in a trash bin by my friend in pieces. It's an Epiphone Scroll guitar. Not many of these thing left in the world.He brought it to me to bring it back to life. She now lives.

post-32806-0-48290700-1379371850.jpg

post-32806-0-87765800-1379371851.jpg

post-32806-0-54418600-1379371852.jpg

post-32806-0-36443900-1379371853.jpg

post-32806-0-32517500-1379371854.jpg

I believe it's the SC-350 model from the info I got from EpiphoneWiki.

<BR>

<BR>

<B>1976-1979</B>

<LI>2 covered Epiphone humbucker pickups (SC-350)</LI>

<LI>2 Open-coil Gibson pickups (SC-350-G)</LI>

<LI>Mahogany body with German carved top</LI>

<LI>Chrome hardware</LI>

<LI>Bolt-on 3-piece mahogany neck</LI>

<LI>24-fret Ebony fingerboard with dot inlays</LI>

<LI>Tune-o-matic bridge with stop bar tailpiece</LI>

<LI>Black speed knobs</LI>

<LI>1 Vol. 1 Tone</LI>

<LI>3-way selector switch</LI>

<LI>25.5" scale</LI>

<LI>1.68" nut width</LI>

<LI>Walnut finish</LI>

<BR>

<BR>

The pickups that came with it, I don't believe that they were the Gibson ones because I saw nothing identifying them as Gibson's. But you never know.....these pup's scream!!

<BR>

<BR>

There was a pretty nasty neck pocket crack that I had to repair. It looked like someone tried to do a Paul Stanley (from KISS) with it at one time. I had to completely strip the body of the original finish in order to repair the crack. Needless to say the original gloss walnut finish was basically gone. I finished it with wood stain and a hand rubbed poly coat.

<BR>

<BR>

I replaced all the electronics with CTS pots and a Switchcraft 3 way switch, input jack and all cloth wiring.

<BR>

<BR>

The bridge and tail piece were replaced as well as a new brass nut that was supposed to be on it originally. I also installed new tuners.

<BR>

<BR>

The neck itself was in pretty darn good shape considering the condition of the rest of the guitar. The frets which looked original didn't have much wear on them and the fret ends were nice and smooth. The finish on the neck was still pretty good, so I left it alone. I think the only original piece of plastic that survived was the truss rod cover. It was a bit warped but it still serves it's purpose.

<BR>

<BR>

After putting it all together and giving it a full setup, this baby plays sweet!

<BR>

<BR>

I gave it back to my friend right before a show he was going to do a few months ago. Needless to say he was very happy the way it turned out and even more happy with the way it played and sounded.

<BR>

<BR>

Shonie

It wouldn't load the pictures for me. Been looking for one of these for a while. Any chance they'd consider selling?

I doubt that he would my friend. It's his baby.