sheraton

A song in the making

sheraton    20

How'do folks ;)

i'm working on a recording new song idea, so i thought i'd share the song as it is constructed and maybe it will be of some help or inspiration to others :)

i had a simple idea on the guitar, nothing fancy just a basic chord structure and rhythm etc....

chords are - for the verse - Fm, Cm - and chorus - D#, A#, Fm, Cm -

i made a backing track of drums and piano, using EZdrummer and EZkeys in Reaper and sent that to my 8-track (i don't have the option of recording guitar on my computer)

here is the backing, just the intro, 1st verse and chorus...

piano and drums backing track.mp3

and with Bass guitar added....

add bass guitar.mp3

i may change the bassline slightly, but this is a good guideline for my Guitar parts and vocals

i have lyrics and lead Guitar ideas, so hopefully we'll have a full song by the end.......

i am going to work on the Guitar parts in a wee minute ;) .....i'll post the results when i'm done :)

Paul.................

sheraton    20

i had a quick go at the Guitars for this.........broke a string tho :oop: lol........i'll maybe need to use a different guitar, as i've no pennies for new ones, i wanted to use my Sheraton for this, it will need to be the old Squier Strat for now (well tomorrow maybe) :smilinguitar:

anywho - 2 guitar tracks, the main rhythm guitar if you like and a second guitar coming in to double up on the chorus and take the lead on the fills :) nothing fancy and "Ruff n Raw" - i don't like things to sound over polished and clinical, wee mistakes are fine wi' me.........

add Guitars.mp3

i'll probably change the bass lick on the first couple of bars, as i had intended that lick to go with the 2nd guitar but not sure it needs a lead fill at the beginning

Paul.........

sheraton    20

it's hard to explain (in words) how i work on parts as i tend to do things on instinct, i just play and see how it sounds.....

but it comes back to what Kirk teaches on here - follow the chords ;)

if that doesn't make sense then i suggest more practice is needed, to find the different positions individual chords can be played - once you realise this it will all become clear - it's not rocket science, and it's not any complicated musical theory :)

if you know the basic (standard open position) chords - then i'd recommend working out the barre chord positions - which i know can be difficult at the beginning - keeping the first finger barred is still painful for me (due to an injury i sustained almost 20 years ago) - the only way to make things easier is to keep at it, it will get easier with practice :)

on this song my positioning for the bassline and Guitar parts are all following the chords in the same position on the neck - which is the barre chord position for each chord - however i'm not playing full barre chords.... i.e not playing all six strings.... the main point is getting the root notes

the first Guitar is playing more of a barre chord, but not just strumming the full chord - i'm hitting (or trying...lol) the root note then (most of) the rest of the chord on an up stroke to get the rhythm .......the second guitar that doubles the chords on the chorus is in the same position on the neck, but i'm playing just two notes of the chord - a fifth (i think) ....i.e if the root note of the barre chord is on the low E string - i'm playing the two notes of the chord that fall on the A and D string - and for each chord i'm adding the notes that are two frets down the neck (where the barre would be if playing the full chord) to accent the rhythm and create a bit of a riff...........

here's a picture to show the notes i mention........i had to draw out the tab, as i've had issues doing tab with txt before....lol

post-76128-0-80492700-1379174006.jpg

hopefully this makes some sense :)

for the lead fills i'm just improvising - in terms of position on the neck, i'm basically in the various positions of the Cm pentatonic box, but not sticking to the pentatonic box - i could just use the Cm pentatonic box for this tune - over six strings you have(in the pentatonic box), 12 notes to play with (still just five different notes) but 2 octaves....and a wee bit

to expand beyond the edges of the box - try playing 1 or 2 or 3 frets up and down from the edges (of the box) and also experiment with the notes in between to see which notes work....using your ear

also remembering the chord positions, as using chord tones and box scales together will give more options and improve "instinctive" understanding of the fretboard ;)

as i've mentioned i'm not great at explaining things....lol.......but if nothing else, it's something to read :D

Paul............

• Like 1

zanadude    1

Hi Paul,

I've been playing for 50 some years as a working musician.

What you have written will work just fine, only notes directly adjacent to the chord tones are dissonant. How you arrive at navigating the fretboard to arrive at those notes is entirely up to the individual.

sheraton    20

How'do Zanadude :)

i'm more of a "primitive" musician and not really concerned with theory - i just play what i feel sounds right ;)

since there are countless resources available for those interested in the theory side of things i try to share a thread like this now and again for those who prefer a similar approach as i take to music creation.......and i can share all my bad habits...lol

Paul........

sheraton    20

i recorded a quick take of the vocals for this.......still needing to work on all the individual parts, Guitars and bass need redoing, then i'll redo the vocals :)

i decided to keep the wee bass riff on the intro and bring the guitar in a couple of bars later.

i'll post the full tune when i'm done, there are no more changes in the basic structure - there will be a longer lead fill after the second chorus and this just goes over the same verse and maybe the chorus chords - i might fade out before a third chorus pattern comes in, we'll see how it goes.........

i'll maybe type the lyrics out later too - the song will be called "B.I.B.L.E" (basic instincts before leaving Eden) ......for the record i'm not religious.....just spiritual....lol... :D

oh aye - the chorus is inspired by "Bill Hicks" and "Gza" (from Wu Tang Clan) and my own thoughts/beliefs/opinion ;)

add vocals.mp3

Paul.........

zanadude    1

How'do Zanadude :)

i'm more of a "primitive" musician and not really concerned with theory - i just play what i feel sounds right ;)

since there are countless resources available for those interested in the theory side of things i try to share a thread like this now and again for those who prefer a similar approach as i take to music creation.......and i can share all my bad habits...lol

Paul........

Paul,

I was affirming what you said, not disputing it.

Please continue your thread, I will not bother to encourage you any more.

sheraton    20

Zanadude - i'm sorry you took my reply in a negative way, it's not how i intended it to come across :no: that really isn't my style.....

i was just being social, acknowledging your comment and sharing my thinking with you......

Paul........

hearinvoices    12

Paul,

Hey buddy ! I haven't been on in a while and I'm catching up . I really like the way you did this and showed the progress ! It's a catchy tune too ! Keep it up. I always enjoy reading your threads and learning a little at a time from you ! :yes:

and to Zanadude I can promise you Paul was not being negative toward you at all.

Johnny

sheraton    20

How'do Mike and Johnny ;)

Good to see you around Johnny .....how's the Guitar playing going for you :leadguitar: .......tell the Family i said How'do ;)

i had a couple of days wi' no 'tinternets..... and i've not done much more with this tune yet

i decided to reverse the pan of the Guitars - so Guitar 1 (rhythm) is on the left side - Guitar 2 lead) is now on the right

and i moved the bass from the left to the right ....

i need to record the vocals again and maybe redo the 2nd Guitar - i think i'll leave the Bass and 1st Guitar as is

i'll go and record a mixdown of the full backing (minus vocals) and i'll post that - it will give an idea of how i structure the song with lead fills etc...(it will also show how simple the individual parts are, and how ruff they can be :D )

Paul........

sheraton    20

here's a mixdown of the full backing (almost, there is another verse and chorus for the Guitar break :D )

with the Guitars panning reversed from the previous posts (as mentioned before)

i'm thinking of having another take at the 2nd Guitar - i'll keep the wee lick that comes directly after the chorus each time and doubles part of the bass lick - the rest of the lead fill is just improvised (as per) i might do a wee bit of Wah on the 2nd pass of the Lead fill .......

Full backing.mp3

If anyone would like the backing to jam with, with or without Guitars/Bass, let me know i can do a mixdown of what you require ;)

it's simple progression and the changes are really easy :) so easy to follow the chords for lead lines, and easy to jam over using the Cm pentatonic box too :smilinguitar:

Paul..........

micky mac    14

hows it going paul cool song again i love the playing. Been playing over the backing track for the last 20 minutes class don't think the wife likes it to much though lol.

I don't suppose you have it without the lead guitar and another with out the rythm guitar so i can practice with it me and backing tracks arent getting on at the miunte.

sheraton    20

How'do Micky :)

don't you go gettin yourself in trouble now ;)

i'll do a couple of backin tracks the noo and post them - one wi' just the bass and one wi' bass and rythym Guitar ?

Paul.......

sheraton    20

Here's a couple of full length Backin tracks ;)

a wee tip if Jammin with these, or any Backin tracks - listen through them before you play and write down the time the changes for the verse chorus come in, if you write the time on the last bar before the change, you can keep a wee eye out for it when jammin, and after you've managed to change at the right point a few times you'll have the feel for it better :) ...............

Backin wi\' Bass (full).mp3

Backin wi\' Bass and Rhythym Guitar (full).mp3

Paul.............

micky mac    14

thanks a million Paul there perfect good and long i'll have a play with them later. Good tip about writing down the time of the changes for the verse and chouris i never thought of that before ill have to remember that one cheers.

sheraton    20

Cool Micky :) hope you can have some fun with these ;)

i find that when jamming and trying a few riff/lick ideas it's easy to get distracted from the timing of changes - making a wee quick note of the time saves from having to count bars/beats, i don't do counting - it takes the fun away and makes playing a chore......for me anyway :D

i recorded a wee jam last night that has a backin track i think you may like - just two chords, but has changes in the dynamics - i have a vocal idea for it, but i'll maybe post it as an instrumental and post the backin too......

Paul......

micky mac    14

oh aye i love your backing tracks Paul keep them coming they seem a little easier to follow for me. Im hopeless at keeping a count while playing i've been trying harder for the last while it's just not happening for me.

sheraton    20

i always found when jamming to the regular midi sounding backing tracks available, that they where a bit too clinical and not very human sounding - the chord progressions/changes etc... may be based on sound musical theory but lacked feeling for me - and my playing had to be clinical and precise (which isn't my scene) i prefer something a little more raw sounding with more freedom to mess about and have fun :)

if you can come up with one or two riffs/licks then repeating them over the verse for instance will give an idea of long the verse plays before a change - i.e play lick 1 x2, then lick 2 x2, then repeat - if the verse is long enough, or repeat again if more bars are needed - this will give an idea of the feel of the length of the verse (without having to count as you are playing) this will help in getting the feel for how much space(bars) you need to fill - then it's easier to start to add a few variations to your licks and improvise but still have an idea of where you are in the song :)

lol.........hope that makes sense.....it does to me.....if not let me know and i'll try to explain what i mean better ;)

Paul............

sheraton    20

How'do folks :)

i forgot to post this full recording of the song - as i was hoping to get a chance to redo the vocals and Guitars (lead breaks at least) i was trying to get a bit of a double vocal idea on the chorus with two slightly different melodies not necessarily a harmony but something like that, never quite pulled it off on this take - it can be tricky to get this kind of idea from your head to the tape, i keep singing a combination of both ideas on each track.....lol

this is a full version of the song tho :)

Full song demo.mp3

Paul........