boroboy41

Tuning goes sharp after a while

A while ago I bought an ESP Eclipse and for a high end guitar the factory setup was dreadful, action was really low and I was having issues with fret buzz or the strings slapping the other frets when playing. I sorted this out by raising the action and loosening the truss rod to get some relief into the neck and then adjusting the intonation.

I checked the tuning the other day and not for the first time almost every string was quite a bit sharper than it should be. Is this to be expected after doing the adjustments above as I'd expect the tuning to go flat over time as with my other guitars. Will this settle down in time?

Thanks

BB41

Hi boroboy, my guitars will sometimes go sharp and sometimes go flat. As far as I know, it depends on temperature and humidity. And of course new strings take a while to settle down. I suppose if you change the action it might take a while to settle down, but I've not heard of that happening after the first day.

Strings do tend to stretch and go flat with time, but can also go sharp (or flat) when affected by changing temp and humility - that was a typo/Freudian slip but I think a guitar with humility is a nice idea and therefore deserves to stay.

Cheers Carol

It just seems strange that my other guitar that hangs right next to it has never had any tuning issues once the strings have bedded in. They never leave my home office so maybe its down to them being very different constructions and it can get a bit warm in here if I've been working on 2 computers all day. First guitar has a floating trem and locking nut and is basswood body with maple neck and no tuning issues, new guitar is fixed tail with locking tuners and mahogany/maple body & mahogany set neck. It would appear my new axe is more sensitive whether its the different woods or the floating trem masking out minor changes and keeping in tune better.

I was nervous enough about adjusting the truss rod and don't want to be doing that too often or ever again if I can help it. I was just so disappointed at having to do this at all after spending an arm and a leg.

My guitars need plenty of humility to cope with what I tend to throw at them ;)

i'm not sure there are any guitars that really hold perfect tuning - if after tuning your guitar, it's left sitting and the temperature drops then it will go sharp as everything contracts and if it gets warmer then it will go flat as everything expands - if you tune your guitar during the daytime it will generally go slightly sharp through the night as the temp drops and vice versa - also on a cold day if you tune to pitch, after playing a while there will generally be a noticeable change as the strings warm up from playing and go flat - there is nothing much can be done about changing temperature regardless of how much you pay for a guitar - you can't fight the laws of nature....lol

Paul..........

I tune my acoustic guitars every time I play them because every time I pick one up it needs tuning.

Like everyone else said temperature and humidity does it.

I had my Breedlove set up by the best guy there is in the state and the first thing he said after

he handed it to me is "it will change with time and the weather so learn to enjoy tuning it".

Either that or my guitars know I am such a bad player they deliberately go out of tune

so I won't want to play them. Yeah, I bet that's it. That just isn't nice of them............... :sneaky2:

What surprised me most was just HOW sharp it was, I mean the needle on my tuner almost hit the 450Hz marker on most strings!!!

I guess I've been spoilt by the stability of my Ibanez and not got into a habit of checking tuning very often as every time I have checked it (every other month or so) it's either been spot on or only needs a minor tweak on the fine tuners.

it's worth warming strings up by playing your guitar for a bit before tuning - even just rubbing your hands up and down the strings to generate some heat, as what you may find is that after playing a while strings will warm up slightly and go flat....

Paul.........

strings things will warm up slightly and then go flat....

Paul.........

Yes, I find that at social gatherings - at the beginning you try to be optimistic but after a while you know it's hopeless and you wish you were at home, cozy and warm, and doing whatever you feel like doing, without having to be nice to anyone....

Yes, I find that at social gatherings - at the beginning you try to be optimistic but after a while you know it's hopeless and you wish you were at home, cozy and warm, and doing whatever you feel like doing, without having to be nice to anyone....

:laughingg: .........aye it's usually me that starts to "warm up", after a couple of pints of poison :beer: .... :callbeer: ....then i go "flat" - on my back :drinking:

Sometimes some pencil graphite in the nut groove slots help the strings return to tuning...I found it works...A tip bt Doyle Dyes at a lil demo he put on.

A word of warning about adding graphite to your fretboard nut - I did that to my old classical and soon afterwards found that the guitar sounded like a pudding - it might not have been the graphite, but I scrubbed away the graphite afterwards - still sounded like a pudding, but maybe a souffle instead of a suet plum duff.