Gilmouritis

Real or fake Stratocaster?

Gilmouritis    2

Hello all, I have been practising for 6 or 7 months now, and was thinking it would be a good idea to upgrade my cheap knock off, and and buy a real stratocaster, I found one on the local advertising board in my area, ill include pictures, I contacted the owner, who wants to sell the guitar because they are going over seas, claims the guitar has only been played a few times, the owner also stated that they where not to knowledgeable about guitars after I had asked them if they knew about what year it was from, and only knows that after taking it to a music store, it was found out that its a true fender, and that only the neck had been rebuilt, the price was rather all very affordable, included a fender amp and all sort of odd goodies, but for some reason, I just gotta make sure its real, I’ve heard of fakes, so is this a true strat? sorry about the pictures, these are the only ones available.

post-125782-0-06485100-1378909890.jpg

post-125782-0-95424200-1378909894.jpg

post-125782-0-07640300-1378909901.jpg

RolandC    8

That's not a Fender strat headstock--neither the old one from the 70s nor the current one.

You said the neck was "rebuilt?" I'm guessing that it's (maybe) a Fender body and someone replaced the neck with a stock neck (looks like maybe a Fernandes) and marked it up to look like a strat neck.

FWIW you can pick up a real Fender MIM Strat used on Ebay for around $250.

• Like 1

sheraton    20

it's defo "not" a Fender neck..........and the body doesn't look right to me either - the top body horn is the wrong shape and the cutaway on the bottom has too much distance between the scratchplate and body edge.........i'd be inclined to say that nothing on this guitar is true Fender :thumbdown

Paul...........

• Like 1

Gilmouritis    2

Thank you guys, much appreaciated, I decided to not go ahead with this, id rather get a real mcoy so to speak, rather then some questionable guitar with heaven knows what modified to it, whilst im on the subject, what would be a good quality guitar and amp to go for? im will to spend up to $400 AU on it, quality being the keyword for both guitar and amp, any direction greatly appreacitated.

Cheers.

sheraton    20

How'do Gilmouritis ;)

i'm not sure about pricing down under, but the Yamaha Pacifica 112v is good guitar for the money - @ £220 in the uk and secondhand i've seen them go for @ £100 - £150

post-76128-0-44308900-1379003362.jpg

also Squier guitars are a reasonably safe bet - i've been playing for about 20 years and the guitar i favour at the moment is an old Squier Strat :)

the "Vintage" brand of guitars are really good value for money too - decent pickups and hardware etc....

a wee bit more expensive than the Yamaha - depending on the model, but again secondhand bargains are there to be had

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

in my opinion the Yamaha and Vintage guitars are better overall guitars than the MIM (made in Mexico) Fenders - if you can live without the "badge"

as for Amps - i'd say the Roland Cube or Fender Mustang would be an ideal starter amp - both have plenty of useful features and a good range of sounds available - again secondhand would be your best bet - i've seen the Roland for @ £60 secondhand...........

Paul..............

RolandC    8

Gilmouritis,

Just keep in mind that the Pacifica you are looking at has an HSS configuration i.e. single coil pickups in the neck and middle position and a humbucker in the bridge rather than the SSS configuration of a regular strat. Some people prefer that because it gives them the option of switching to a humbucker sound (and Fender also offers the HSS option--the so-called "Fat Strat"), but obviously the 4 and 5 switch positions will sound different than an SSS strat.

One amp that you might consider is the Orange 20LDX. It's a solid state 20W amp with built-in effects (reverb, overdrive, chorus. flanger, delay, tremolo, vibrato) and a built in tuner. It's a good little amp that you can pick up on ebay for around $130.

Happy shopping!

Gilmouritis    2

Update time! I purchased the pacifca! I was looking at a new one for about $400, the store owner came in, and said he had a second hand Pacifica for $150! so I purchased the Pacifica and a Roland Micro Cube, ended up being $320, guitar sounds great and is easier to play then my old guitar, cheers!.