carol m

Lyrics in Need of Music: Poor Sam Stone

I saw Paul was back with us ;) so I opened one of my old lyric folders and found this one that I'd forgotten about.

There was a song a long time ago by John Prine called Sam Stone. It was about a returned veteran from Vietnam with a great chorus that starts with the line 'There's a hole in Daddy's arm where all the money goes'.

I've always liked that song, so was thinking about what happens to the Sam Stones of the world and wrote this one.

The bars was just me working out the beats/rhythm so I left them in. You don't have to use these lines exactly 'as is' - as usual, change, switch, add, leave out anything you like. If anyone wants to have a go at this I would be very pleased.

Poor Sam Stone.

Poor Sam Stone - died alone

Sister Morphine, takes care of her own

She knew how to help him, find his way home

He died in her arms, took him out of his Hell..... 4 x 4 bars

Poor Sam Stone - - - -

Ring the bell. 2 x 4 bars

Every night, in a downtown bar

Watched all the people, living hand to jar

Only the fear, made him get this far

A man on his own, one more burnt out shell 4 x 4

Poor Sam Stone - -

Ring the bell

Love only happened, to everyone else

(No) promises made, had ever come true

No point in trying, couldn't see his way through

Sitting alone, how could anyone tell 4 x 4

Poor Sam Stone - -

Ring the bell.

Lived his life, (much) like any other

Some say he still loved her, that he just got tired

Drifted one night, to a cheap motel

Sister Morphine, would take care of him well 4 x 4

Poor Sam Stone - -

Ring the bell. 2 x 4

bridge/climax/outro sort of thing:

Who knows if she loved him, he never could tell

Two kids and no job - couldn't blame her for leaving

He knew that he'd failed her, couldn't ask her to stay

Too much booze in his bones, too much anger and pain 4 x 4

He turned to the friend, he knew he could trust

To take care of business, without any fuss

She took him down easy, he just floated away

She knew how to help him, find his way out of Hell 4 x 4

Poor Sam Stone

Ring the bell.

Hey Carol :)

i've not been makin much time for playin the last couple of months.......cycling and enjoying some hotter weather here the last few weeks....amongst other distractions....i have fixed a couple of guitars tho.....not fully neglecting the music :D

i like the flow and rhythm i get from these lyrics.......top class, as always Carol :thumbup:

i've got an idea in my head for a vocal melody with guitar harmonics playing the same/similar melody, in a kinda Rock style song.......maybe

i'll see if i can find a good drum beat and see how it goes.........may be a day or twa.......but it's on :yes:

Paul............

Hi Paul, glad you dropped by - how's the bike riding going? Didn't you hurt your knee? Or was it the bike that you crumpled?

I might be thinking about Chris (starsailor) who has at least one gammy knee - he's keeping shtum about the rest of his aging process....although he might be having.. shhhh....hair loss issues. Hi Chris! :)

Paul Quote: 'amongst other distractions'?? Do tell... and what's her name????

• Like 1

Hey Carol, i did have a year off from proper cycling after i injured my knee and broke a bone in my right hand - 2 seperate crashes - note to self; don't cycle to the petrol station for supplies after drinking beer....lol..........all better now tho :)

lol....not those kind of other distractions tho........slightly less problematic distractions - like, tiling and plumbing, ;)

Paul......

Hey Brian, because you have a great imagination!

Why don't you do the Johnny Cash version yourself, since Johnny would find it difficult these days?

How'do Carol :)

a wee change i thought for these verses - to keep the rhyme structure/flow the same

true love was a fairytale, that he never knew

the plans he had made, would never come true

No point in trying, couldn't see his way through

Sitting alone, how could anyone tell

Poor Sam Stone - -

Ring the bell.

Lived his life, just like all the rest

they say he still loved her, just got tired of the test

Drifted one night, back to the one he knows best

Sister Morphine, would take care of him well

Poor Sam Stone - -

Ring the bell.

i might need to tweak a few other lines for the flow - syllables etc...

also - would it be proper use of the term "ring the bell" to say "ring the bell for poor Sam Stone" ????? (as a wee addition at the end)

i've started an idea for this - it's no Johnny Cash tune tho ;)

we've been having a wee bit of a heatwave here so i've been trying to get outdoors as much as i can, i'll get on this as soon as poss :)

Paul............

• Like 1

Hey Paul, whatever fits is always fine by me. Yes, I remember how in England, temperatures of 80F/26C was considered to be a heat wave, and did not happen often. Make the most of it while it lasts!

How'do folks :)

i got a bit distracted from this lately, i had done a quick sketch for guitars etc..... i broke a string on the last guitar note - you can hear the string hit the pickup at the end...lol......so i had to postpone recording, and i kinda lost the flow, i've been struggling to get the feel for the vocals, i thought i'd force out a vocal take, post it, and hopefully get inspired to make it better on another take..............or not :dunno: we'll see

some line changes etc.........

Sam Stone 1.mp3

i'm having some monitoring issues (need new speaker set-up) so i think it may be a slightly noisy recording - too much clipping.

Paul......

Hey Paul - great job - I'm listening through line out and $30 computer speakers - and old ears - I couldn't hear any clipping. At the end I like the sort of sudden wind down to black - reflects the meaning of the lyrics? :) Lights going out etc - is that poor taste? Probably. I like it a lot. :)

How'do Carol ;)

i've just ordered a set of £30 computer speakers...lol.....i had a set before, and found them great for recording/mixing, they're more like a set of powered studio monitors than computer speakers, and a real bargain..........i actually jammed with a drummer and bass player and a singer a while back, and the singer used the old set i had for vocals - not bad for a £30 set of speakers

anyway that will hopefully sort out my audio issues :)

i didn't feel the obvious darker sounding vibe for these lyrics, but aye ;) thought the same about the wee change of vibe at the end - kind of a "matter of fact" vibe about the story/song, then a wee period to reflect...... :dunno:

Paul..........

oh aye.....that bell sound i got after i had recorded the guitars and broke a string, i went to make a coffee and when i closed a cupboard door i heard a ding! and thought that sounds good ;) i had hit a wee metal dish with the door - so used that for the bell sound....

Hi Paul, I happen to have an mp3 of a single church bell 'Dong' if you wanted one - entirely up to you, but I have it if you want it.

Tell you what, I'll attach it to this post, but don't use it unless you prefer it - I have no views on which would be best, just that my bell sound is maybe more traditional. Oops my sound on my computer has gone AWOL - I have to reboot but shall return ASAP.

i'll check them out and see what goes on :)

i did have in mind a slightly less ceremonious bell - more like a hotel "checking out" bell

i'll try these out with the recording tho ;)

Paul.............