carol m

It Ain't Easy - to live within the dream- Lyrics in need of music.

I was going to post some different lyrics that I've been sitting on for ages, but then I saw this one at the top of my Lyrics Folder. so see if anyone can add their musical magic to turn them into something.

Totally un-original ideas, but maybe tried and true? And I'll save the other highly original :) one for later.

The Title is up for grabs and everything else too - switch, change, add, leave out - whatever you like.

Forward slashes are lyric variations, if you want to choose what will fit with your music best.

This is the story -

The telling of a dream

How a man met a woman

And learned to live clean

Sometimes things don’t turn out right

And dreams get old on long cold nights

The woman ain’t around no more

(And) The man forgot to dream/ forgot to dream the dream

chorus

I am the true believer –

(That) Love can save us all

But it ain’t easy, living clean -

To live within a dream

Sometimes, I cannot figure out

Why all my life it seems

I do my best, and try real hard

But cannot live the dream/inside the dream/inside my dream

Living clean ain’t easy

When love is not around

When the dream that we have lived for

Lies trampled - broken on the ground

But,

I am the true believer

(That) love can save us all

(And) To live within a dream

oh aye ;)

i was going to leave this, to see if anyone else wants to give it a go......................but if it wouldn't be too boring for you Carol, i'd like to give it a wee bash :)

Paul............

i thought about this change, adding that line/title i mentioned previously to the chorus ????? this makes the song really click for me, but not sure if that will detract from your original idea/sentiment ???

and switching the order of the last 2 verses

there are a couple of minor tweaks........maybe "not" to replace "ain't"........"And learned to live clean" ....add "life" to this line - "And learned to live life clean" and a couple more, but the song is there :)

chorus

I am the true believer –

Waking up to, the American dream

Living clean ain’t easy

When love is not around

When the dream that we have lived for

Lies trampled - broken on the ground

Sometimes, I cannot figure out

Why all my life it seems

I do my best, and try real hard

But cannot live the dream/inside the dream/inside my dream

Oh aye, Paul, give it a wee bash, that would be grand! Of course anyone else who felt like it could have a go too - don't be shy - the more the merrier.

Oops, our posts crossed - no worries, change or switch around anything you like, Paul. American dream sounds good.

Oh aye, Paul, give it a wee bash, that would be grand! Of course anyone else who felt like it could have a go too - don't be shy - the more the merrier.

Aye ;) we need more action in the collab section

Aye ;) ......keep it like this

chorus

I am the true believer –

To live within a dream

Sorry, that doesn't rhyme, so it doesn't qualify. How about

This is the story -

The telling of a dream

How a man met a woman

And learned to join a team

Sorry, that doesn't rhyme, so it doesn't qualify. How about

This is the story -

The telling of a dream

How a man met a woman

And learned to join a team

lol ......i was tryin to get a beat, and singin/mumbling to myself, and it came out that way, i thought it was funny :dunno:

i prefer the original line :)

i made a start yesterday, but i had a system crash, and then ran out of time to record vocals, i'll see how i get on today

lol ......i was tryin to get a beat, and singin/mumbling to myself, and it came out that way, i thought it was funny :dunno:

i prefer the original line :)

OK it was funny, but I thought my Team line was too? And it rhymed... :P

System crashes can serioulsly damage anyone's day

OK it was funny, but I thought my Team line was too? And it rhymed... :P

System crashes can serioulsly damage anyone's day

Aye ;) i did get that one..........lol

i do like this song :)

i've got a rough draft down, just tryin to get the melody and delivery sorted for the vocals by listening to my dodgy draft..........i'm not too sure about the drumbeat i have chosen......

i'll try and get in the zone today :) i need to redo the guitars (2 maybe 3), bass guitar and vocals :guitardude:

Paul.........

here's a first take on this one :)

there's a few niggles, but i had a few distractions today - Gas company diggin up the garden and drillin holes in the hoose

i missed a wee lead part i was going to play on the left guitar, in between the first chorus and second verse, and then got put off a bit for the rest of that track, and vocals could be better, i changed the first line of the chorus melody i had, and not quite hittin it yet.............lol

it needs a fade in and fade out, to get rid of the wee noise at the start and the abrupt ending too....

i really like these lyrics :)

i changed the title tho ;)

True Believer (take 1).mp3

Paul.......................

That sounds great to me, Paul. Piano! Is it real or one of those Midi thingies that changes your guitar sound into a piano. I haven't been able to work out how to do that yet.

Also I love how you weave together all the different tracks to make the whole song - brilliant.

What effect settings did you use for that first short guitar riff at 5 secs in? That 'sound' is one the 'sounds I'd like to get on my electric - it's fat and clean, and yet haunting.... a bit like some people I know.....

i forgot to say that when i posted.............i used EZdrummer and EZkeys - it's a midi plug-in, programmable, playable, and works like having a piano player that plays what you ask of it ;) i don't have a keyboard for know........so i thought i'd give it a wee shot :)

no real fx settings for that sound, just a mild overdrive setting with the volume rolled off slightly and a wee touch of reverb......and a softer touch

Paul...............

What effect settings did you use for that first short guitar riff at 5 secs in? That 'sound' is one the 'sounds I'd like to get on my electric - it's fat and clean, and yet haunting.... a bit like some people I know.....

Hey Carol, this came to my mind for some reason, i was fixing my Squier and remembered.......i used my Sheraton for the guitars on this, but that wee lick was kept from my first guitar track attempt - i was going to use the Squier, then changed to Sheraton ;) - i liked that wee lick on the start, so i just kept it there

any way that is the Squier, and i had it on the bridge and middle pickup setting, volume rolled back slightly - but i have the middle pickup set lower to the body - flat against the scratchplate - i like the sound better, and i find the pickup gets in my way when set the same height as the others ;)

just thought i'd share that,as i think part of the tonal quality of that short wee bit, is down to this :)

oh aye, did you say your guitar was a Samick.......i think my Sheraton was made in the Samick factory :)

Paul...................

Hey Carol, this came to my mind for some reason, i was fixing my Squier and remembered.......i used my Sheraton for the guitars on this,

Paul...................

I thought you'd sold your Sheraton?

I thought you'd sold your Sheraton?

ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh....oooohhhhhhh ssssssh.........don't even suggest such a thing.......i'll have nightmares at the thought

lol....no i'd never sell my Sheraton.........i sold my amp a couple of weeks ago, as that's easily replaced, and i needed to release the equity ;) and i traded my electro acoustic guitar a while back to get some pedals for a gig :)

lol...........sell my Sheraton :laughingg:

Glad to hear it! Here's a curly (hypothetical :)) question for you:

If you were a newby on electric, and already had a cheap electric...say a Samick...would you want to replace it with a Sheraton? Or some other higher quality (and higher price) electric?

And how would you rate a semi-hollow vs a solid body higher price electric?

hmmm, that is a good question.......................when i was a newbie, i had a cheap Hondo Les Paul copy (played my first gig with it) - made of some type of chipboard and plywood, and under the humbucker covers the pickups were single coils - so i always dreamed of having the real deal

i then got a Vester telecaster copy gifted to me - i used this guitar for about 3 or 4 years while i was in a band called "North Starr" i loved this guitar, but still felt i should be aspiring towards owning a "better" guitar, during that period with the band i played at least 2 gigs using 2 different Gibson Les Pauls that i had the chance to use, and i did like using these guitars, when we recorded our demo cd i used my Vester over the chance to use a more expensive guitar, as it was my guitar and my sound

not long after that band split, i got the chance to own the Sheraton, i had played it and loved it, so jumped at the chance...........had it since :)

while in theory i'd still love a Gibson Les Paul, i realise that higher priced guitars are "higher priced" and lower priced guitars "lower priced"

i've played expensive guitars, that i liked, but have to say i've played cheaper guitars that i preferred

and while the Sheraton is my most luxurious/expensive guitar that i've owned - i have had the chance to play with a lot of high end guitars - my uncle got back into playing guitar briefly a good few years back (mid to late nineties) and he went through them all searching for.......something......all kinds of Gibsons old/new, Fenders, PRS etc......there were a few i really liked, but some were just horrible to play - i never liked any PRS i've played, just not my cup of tea

without wishin to bad-mouth my uncle - i remember him saying that he was asking the guys in the guitar shop for something that would make him sound like Mark Knopfler - and my dad suggesting to him, truthfully but kindly - Guitar lessons ?

the best guitar is the one that we know and the one that we play :smilinguitar:

Paul...........

Great answer, Paul. A few months ago I was convinced that I needed a 'proper' electric and that would give me 'the sound' I wanted. I did all the searching and checked all the reviews.

Basically I thought it was humbuckers that made all the difference - looking for a fat/rich/warm tone. But (luckily) since playing my cheap Samick electric more frequently than once a year, it seemed obvious that my best bet was to play what I had. This was partly because you started recording great stuff with your cheapo electrric. i do realise that that you yourself can make music from a plank of wood with strings on, but even so, the desire to buy a better electric has disappeared.

When I last bought a guitar in a shop, I asked the sales guy if I could try out on a high end acoustic - he gave me a Martin Signature model - Eric Clapton maybe? - and I still sounded crap! Lesson learned, but the temptation of thinking that a better (more expensive) guitar is what we need to sound and play better, is always lurking, and needs to be kept under control - for me anyway.

My 2 fav acoustics are a shop bought Takamine cedar top EG15SC ($1,200 about 10 years ago) which was right handed, and an ebay Tanglewood 145AC cedar top left hander with a ding in it - I think it was about $300. As soon as I picked it up and played it, it just felt (and sounded) 'right'.

This Tanglewood is my go-to guitar for everything. Except now I'm trying to get better at electric so the acoustic is bit neglected....correction: a bit more neglected than the electric.