johnnydoxx

vintage Sunn Amp test

johnnydoxx    28

Hey GFB'rs.

I bought a vintage, brand new in box, 1969 Sunn amp Sceptre head at an auction. I tested it by running a guitar into its inputs, and running its outputs into my Crate amp's input.

Everything sounds great, I could only put the Crate on '1' or I overdrove it!

I tested it thru my Marshall amp the same way and it was fine too.

I checked with Guitar Center's tech and they said those tests were fine, and could not damage the Sunn. The Sunn has 8 ohm and 16 Ohm outputs.

Some guy from E-Bay wrote to me and said I probably ruined the Sunn.

Is there any reason to believe this E-Bay guy? I think he is just trying to cast doubt on it so the price stays low.

Thx

Johnny

pHGTRSpider    32

There could be some truth to it being damaged as the output had no load, always best to use speakers at 8 or 16 ohms. I'd also be concerned about your Crate & Marshall. Input overload. IF they can still produce a good clean sound I'd guess no damage done. Have you got some way to get your Sunn head straight into the marshall speakers?

johnnydoxx    28

The Sunn produced a good clean sound throughout the tests, as do my other amps - thanks for the clarification.

The Marshall is also an amp, not just a speaker. I don't have any free-standing speakers.

I don't know of any way to go just to either my Crate or Marshall amp's speakers without using their input channels.

Both of my other amps (Marshall and Crate) are OK, I backed off as soon as they got to fuzzing.

I tested on the Crate for at least 30 minutes, and the Marshall for 10 or so, and then a few minutes more on the Crate, all was fine. So I have no reason to believe that the Sunn was damaged.

What I don't want is to sell it to someone, who subsequently claims it was damaged, and tries to extort a partial refund. E-Bay somewhat leans towards buyers in that sort of situation.

Thanks again

Johnny

johnnydoxx    28

Hey it sold to a guy who has a vintage Sunn speaker cabinet that was waiting for an amp head! He should get it this weekend, we'll see how he likes it.

fly135    5

An amp with a tube power section can be damaged when used like that. You can disconnect the speaker in a combo and use the speaker, but that requires skills in making a speaker cable. At a minimum use a commercial speaker cable, cut off one end, and crimp on some spade connectors from the local auto supply store.

johnnydoxx    28

Phew! The buyer says he is thrilled with the amp, it works perfectly.

The only worry he had was that UPS insisted on removing the tubes for shipment.

I warned the UPS guy that any broken tube is their problem, but he insisted.

These were the original 1969 tubes with likely very few available.

But I guess it was OK.

fly135    5

Excuse me fly, what's the difference between guitar cable and speaker cable. Thanks in advance, cheers :brickwall:

- A speaker cable uses heavier gauge wire (thicker) than an guitar cable. The heavier wire in a speaker cable is designed to handle the higher current used to drive the speaker. The thinner guitar cable could heat up and melt internally. However, it is possible to use a guitar cable and not have a problem. Just not recommended.

- A guitar cable has a shield (foil wrap) around a dielectric material (to reduce capacitance) that encases signal wire and tied to ground. Guitar signals exist in a high impedance circuit as pickups generate a weak signal. The high impedance also allows weak induced signals from the air to enter the cable and become audible as noise. Hence the need for a shield. A speaker connection is low impedance, which means weak signals are drained to ground and there is no issue with capacitance. You could use a speaker cable as a guitar cable with no worries about damage. But if you get noise or even some loss of highs, that would be expected.

johnnydoxx    28

Thx Fly, I had no idea about this distinction. During my live gig years, we have used many amp-to-amp connections using guitar cables, from your description that is Ok. I.e., from primary amp to monitor(s) etc.