sheraton

home Studio shutdown...........and repair ;)

sheraton    20

i had a bit of a nightmare ............my 8-track recorder broke down, midway through working on 3 different ideas :(

the utility switch, which is the most used switch, ceased to function......it had been playing up for a while, and as i've had the 8-track for good few years - it's seen plenty regular action, i assumed the switch had reached the end of it's life......clicked it's last click :(

without this switch the rest of the unit is worthless, so nothing to lose by having a wee look inside and a wee tinker ;)

i opened it up and had to do a fair bit of dismantling to get to the switch, i cleaned the boards of dust and powered it up - outside the casing - and tried pressing the switch directly, it was obvious it was dead

i noticed another switch, that when i thought about it, i don't think i have ever even pressed, so i could use the unit without that one............i'm not great with electrical things or a soldering iron, but i thought it worth risking more damage and having a go at swapping the switches over...................i did............and :) it works and the utility switch feels brand new now :D

i did mix up two of the external buttons upon the rebuild - one has a wee window for an led to shine through, the other hasn't

i'll consider stripping it back to fix this, but not right now - it's quite a hassle, and now it works i wouldn't want to jeopordise it....lol

back to recording ;)

here's a couple of pics of the inside

post-76128-0-51852700-1365171166.jpg

the offending switch in the middle

post-76128-0-21558700-1365171191.jpg

the replacement switch

post-76128-0-48267600-1365171220.jpg

and my soldering work on the back - the two points second from top in the middle of the pic

post-76128-0-55514800-1365171243.jpg

Paul..............

micky mac    14

wow thats confusing looking.

i bought a soldering iron last week so i could learn to swap pickups on my guitars i changed them on one of my guitars and they dont buzz or anything great except the pickup selector switch works back to front now lol.

micky mac    14

i bought a soldering iron last week so i could learn to swap pickups on my guitars i changed them on one of my guitars and they dont buzz or anything great except the pickup selector switch works back to front now lol.

micky mac    14

hearinvoices    12

I would be of no help at all. You got a whole lot farther than I ever would have Paul! That sucker would have been a paper weight in my house and I would have had to fork out more money on a new one. Nice work Paul. By the way do you do house calls? lol

mset3    158

Paul,

Good detective work here. Since you didn't use the other switch, it was worth making the switch (no pun intended). Good Job!

Mike