merfij

230/120 watt switch broke my amp!

Hi :)

Yesterday i got my Orange Crush piX 12l amp and it was amazing while it lasted.

I noticed a red switch on the back ,next to the on/off switch, that said 230. (just 230 thats it, nothing else)

I assumed that it meant 230 watts.

Since my mom always thinks i play to loudly and naggs and naggs about it i switched the switch down (while the amp was still on) and now it said 120 and i thought nice, less watts means quieter but with the same tone and evertyhing, but no the amp just shut off and has turned on since

Has this happened before to anyone else, if so please help? how did you solve the issue? if not, then what should i do, suggestions? (ive already mailed thomann.de for help)

Thanks beforehand

Chris

post-125561-0-86626900-1365013172.jpg

post-125561-0-79770000-1365013204.jpg

Hi Chris

I think that is a voltage switch which is changed to correspond with your country's electricity supply voltage.

No Idea what damage may have been caused by your changing it , it may have only blown a fuse, suggest you get someone electrically qualified to take a look at it , which by the way I am not.

Good luck with it

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Matt!

I do thing i might've blown a fuse (seems to be the most logical explanation)

Anyways gonna look into it tommorow

Thanks again for the fast reply! :)

Aye that is the voltage switch :(

if you are extremely lucky the fuse might have saved the amp, but i fear transformer damage may be a possibility.......

did you tell thomann what you done ?

if so it may have been better to plead ignorance and send the amp back as faulty and you would have received a replacement......

if you were honest and told them you moved the switch, then i doubt they will replace the amp if it is knackered........

good luck with it, it hope you get it sorted ;)

Paul............

merfij,

It is a voltage switch. If your house current is 120 volts and the switch is set on 230, it more than likely didn't do anything severe. If your house current is 230 volts and the switch was set to 120, you more than likely damaged the amp.

Mike

Luckily the amp came with a an extra fuse, so i only needed to switch out the damaged one with the new one. I

Its working great now :)

Thanks for the replies :)

also the lower volts u have on a given load the higher the watts will be, thats the whole reason behind some countrys using higher voltage such as 230 compaired to 120, so u will draw less current (watts/amps). your amp is an electrical load, the watts are determined by the voltage and resistance on the circuit.