sheraton

the Post a 2 Guitar track 16 bar(or so) recording....thread

sheraton    20

sounding like the chord progression is a good thing ;) ................it means you are following the progression :)

the best place to start, is to play a simple variation on a chord progression.......i.e the same chords in a different position, you'll soon find riffs and licks to add an extra flavour to the idea..........

Paul........

hearinvoices    12

Ok I have another question for you. Not that I think this powerchord ditty is a song or anything but I tried to sing a few lines over it. My question is how do you do a different melody over what your playing. I sang to the guitar (hold your ears) and was just wondering how to change that so its not just with guitar. I just threw in some jibberish to see what it would sound like singing over it.

powerchords3.mp3

micky mac    14

cheers paul funny thats the first time i've been acused of thinking to much :whistling i guess ive never tried hard enough before im a mindless noodler lol

and cheers johnny you should give it a bash just to see what the 2 of us come up with and see the difference between the 2 tracks and you to paul we could see if we could somehow make you worse than us hehe.

jez johnny for a minute there i thought i heard ozzy osbourn i can't give any advise but i like it. :punk:

micky mac    14

lol Ozzy ? Now you're just full of crap lol. I wish it sounded like ozzy :laughingg:

lol i would'nt wish ozzy on ya johnny, maybe his money and his younger years but certanly not his wife or his cabbage brain. i heard somewhere a while back they were going to do tests on him to see how he was still alive they reckon the human body should'nt be able to have lived a lifestyle like that.

sheraton    20

Aye Johnny ;) that's pretty cool

i'm not the one to ask about vocals.......but it's like finding guitar parts, start by finding the root note, and get the timing sorted.....and once you have that sussed, it's just a case of trying things out, to see what works, and mostly finding out......oh aye, that doesn't work ;)

i don't know why the txt has changed to bold.....lol

Paul..........

sheraton    20

Oh Aye Micky :clap: .............that's the shizz :yes: i really like the vibe on this, nicely played and great feeling :beer:

i've not had a chance to get on here the last week or so, listening to this i hear a big improvement in your playing Micky.......seems like it must have been more than a week since i've been around...

listened to this one a few times, i like it ;)

Paul..............

sheraton    20

Hey Johnny and Micky.........and anyone else :)

just a wee bit of advice, it's the idea behind this thread.

when we start out playing/learning we all have our inspiration, usually a guitar player or band we like, and we would like to be able to play in that way.

at the beginning however, when listening to - let's just say Jimi ;) - we are generally overwhelmed, as far as understanding how they can come up with riffs and put it all together into song.

generally what will happen is we try to play like our favourite bands/guitarists from the start - even when our experience/understanding/ability is not capable of producing results that will give us any satisfaction/inspiration or confirmation that we are learning, or even capable of being any good with time.

ok - so we're a Jimi fan, but "Voodoo Chile' (slight return)" sounds like some kind of impossible musical alchemy to us - yet we still try to play as if we were Jimi, and generally the results will disappoint us and we settle into the "i'm no good" "can't do it" "fingers too fat/thin/short/long" .....etc...

it's like a toddler taking it's first steps - then expecting to enter the 100m sprint and take on Usain Bolt.....

so the way i look at the exercise of, just picking 2,3, or 4 chords at random even, you don't need to think of changes for chorus bridge etc...

play to the chords and the beat, and let the musical idea be what it is, even if it sounds like a simple nursery rhyme type tune - rather than the Voodoo Chile' we would like to do.....i.e, a well played version of "twinkle twinkle little star" will give us more satisfaction/inspiration and confidence, than a badly played version of "Voodoo Chile' "

don't try to play a particular style or even think of it as a "song", think "music" and let it be what it is :) ..........and if we keep it simple, and focus on timing etc.....we will improve our ear, and our understanding of how it all works to come together......

as for guitar technique - it's just a matter of time, the more we play the better our technique should get - but not if we don't have the feel for the basics..

break it down - got a 3-chord progression, play a 3-note accompaniment, play on the beat and in time/pitch with the changes.......and take it from there...

Johnny and Micky..............i can hear that you guys are thinking in a similar way, and i can hear an overall improvement in your playing......good stuff ;)

Paul..............

hearinvoices    12

Great advice Paul. luckily I know I'm not capable of playing like any of my favorite musicians :no: That is part of the reason I like to make up my own noise and try to just get a feel for playing. Plus I have more fun and personally feel a little more accomplished if I come up with something on my own that even resembles some kind of musical noise lol. You keep teaching Paul and I'll keep trying to figure it out :)

Johnny

micky mac    14

thanks lads thats the best compliment ive had since i started playing paul ( someone actually willing to listen to me twice lol)

and good advise you just described me, first 2 solos i really tried to learn were metallica fade to black and sweet child of mine i spent months beating myself up because i could'nt play them (i still cant ) but it doesnt bother me anymore. i dont really have the patience to try and learn note for note anymore.

sheraton    20

Great advice Paul. luckily I know I'm not capable of playing like any of my favorite musicians :no: That is part of the reason I like to make up my own noise and try to just get a feel for playing. Plus I have more fun and personally feel a little more accomplished if I come up with something on my own that even resembles some kind of musical noise lol. You keep teaching Paul and I'll keep trying to figure it out :)

Johnny

Aye Johnny ;) i think that's the best way to get your own sound/style/flavour

when i first started i would just make up wee melodies of my own, not songs as such, just sounds

i did like to learn my favourite riffs, "wonderful tonight" "sunshine of your love" and a couple other Clapton riffs where among the very first things i learned to play - my uncle was a big Clapton fan, and showed me how to play these - i never learned any full songs tho, just intro riffs really, i didn't see the point in learning the full song at that time......

Micky - all the time i've been playing, and i reckon i still couldn't learn these solo's note for note - not that i would try....lol

you could spend a long time learning something note for note, and learn nothing, other than the notes for that particular part - but when you figure something out by your own means - i.e why certain notes sound good together or where certain notes re-occur etc..... you may not be playing something fancy or accomplished sounding, but will have gained more understanding :)

oh aye, and i listened to your last recording more than twice dude ;)

Paul.........

micky mac    14

i know what you mean paul theres not any benefit of learning them solos apart from when im playing them songs which is a small part of my playing time in fact i dont really listen the songs much at all but at the beginning i thought to play guitar i had to be able to play solos like that the way they were written on the record now i realise i wasted all that time and really learned nothing about music. Now im kind of going back to the start and trying to learn to keep better time and try to get a feel for music and be a bit better at rythm guitar and improv for fun.

I havent played to much this week i swaped my marshall last week for a blackheart little giant 5 watt amp and i sold my vibro champ yesterday now im actually waiting for these http://www.thomann.de/ie/celestion_g12m_greenback.htm to get delivered from thomann next week have you ever heard them would they have a big improvement in my sound im not sure how im going to use them yet, 1 in the blackheart and one in my mg cab or 2 in the cab have you any thoughts i read it might be good to put them in an x shape in the cab would the marshall speakers ( 125 watts ) drown them out as there only 25 watts. Thats probably a stupid question but i just dont know lol

by the way ive been listening to tomorrows train for the past 20 minutes class song out of them all thats my favourite yet :clap:

sheraton    20

How'do Micky,

i think you still get some benefit from learning others riffs and solo's, even if it's just to stretch your fingers and get some muscle memory, but aye, there comes a time when it may be of benefit to right back to basics and build up, i am still constantly learning, and trying different things, different approaches to song creation so as to challenge my guitar playing "instinct" - i think anyone can spend time to learn traditional "music theory", i prefer to go with an instinctive approach and create my own understanding of "music fact" - forget what the "theory" says - it either sounds good or it doesn't (which is subjective) - as far as guitar playing goes, i think finding our own patterns and ideas for fretboard navigation and understanding, help to give us a wee bit of our own flavour ;)

chords are better for learning the fretboard than scales i think - barre chords in relation to open chords - the open E chord shape, using first finger as a barre (replacing the nut as you move up the neck) and the open A chord shape doing the same - work out where the chords appear on the fretboard, and you have patterns to play melody over chords - all the notes from the chord, and all the notes under the first finger will work well - this will have you moving around the neck with the chords, rather than relying on one box scale pattern to stay in :)

i'll try and put something together to explain this practically ;)

i'm not 100% sure about wiring speakers Micky - as far as mixing wattage anyway - i'm sure those Green backs will sound good tho ;)

Tomorrow's Train - lyrics written wi' Carol m ;)

Paul..............

sheraton    20

How'do folks ;)

i was hoping to do a wee video to show an easy way to use barre chords as navigation - to follow a progression and find riffs that follow the chord changes...............but the camera i use has decided to stop working, i'll need to have a wee look at it...........

i'll see what i can get done for the weekend :)

Paul.........

micky mac    14

How'do folks ;)

i was hoping to do a wee video to show an easy way to use barre chords as navigation - to follow a progression and find riffs that follow the chord changes...............but the camera i use has decided to stop working, i'll need to have a wee look at it...........

i'll see what i can get done for the weekend :)

Paul.........

cool paul i look forward to watching your video i do understand what your saying but it might make it sink in more if i can actually see what you mean.

i got the speaker's and i have them in my 4x12 with the mg speakers disconnected so now its really a 2x12 not sure if there wired right but they did'nt explode yet and they do sound very good

so i must have done something right lol. I havent been playing much this last couple of weeks but the bug is back now so i'll get a bit of practise in and the mike out in the next couple of days and give you a listen to them ( not that practise makes me sound any better lol )