sheraton

the Post a 2 Guitar track 16 bar(or so) recording....thread

sheraton    20

lol..............i had set the spacing of that so it looked more like we see, when looking at the fretboard, but for some reason the spacing always jumps when you hit post......lol.........the fret numbers are there anyway

hearinvoices    12

thats exactly what I need! The problem is I need it on several chords! Is there any way you could post something like that on all the open chords? That would be a big help. If you dont mind anyway.

thanx

Johnny

sheraton    20

hey Johnny, ;)

Em - the red notes are E (the red notes on the previous post were the three added notes to the pentatonic box)

E - 0 3 5

B - 0 3 5

G - 0 2 4

D - 0 2

A - 0 2

E - 0 3

the same pattern moves up and down the neck - change the position - change the key

E starts in the open position

F would be first fret - same pattern/fret spacing

E - 1 4 6

B - 1 4 6

G - 1 3 5

D - 1 3

A - 1 3

E - 1 4

here are the notes of the low E string(the thick one) move the same pattern to relate to the chord/key you require - the red ones are those showed earlier, can you see how that relates to the pattern................

E = 0

F = 1

F# = 2

G = 3

G# = 4

A = 5

A# = 6

B = 7

C = 8

C# = 9

D = 10

D# = 11

E = 12

let me know if i need to explain it better........... :)

Paul...............

hearinvoices    12

I see where you are going with that but I guess I don't quite follow. I am just getting into learning where the notes are and I guess what I'm looking for is ....for instance if I play a C chord where on the fret board are the notes that would match the C chord. What I have done so far is everytime I came up with a chord progression I would google where all the different C chord are played on the neck and use the individual notes of the higher chords to play over my open C and the same with G and E ect......

Johnny

sheraton    20

Aye, ok that would be taking a different approach - what i explained in the last post was more for the scale/key approach to playing, but can be used for the individual chord approach...................i'll need to have a wee think of how to best explain to you my approach

as i've mentioned my theory knowledge is limited - i prefer the practical approach ;)

i've played with a few musicians that can talk all day about theory, know all the technical terms and rules - but can't jam freely, or create their own ideas, as it's not written down for them

i never learned to "read" music - i read books - and i "hear" music...........

if you or anyone is interested in my approach, i'll explain what i can :)

do you know/play barre chords ? or even power chords ?

Paul...........

hearinvoices    12

Barre chords are a BIG weakness for me. I do know power chords though. Couldn't tell you if I'm playing E G C F or anything though. I just usually go by what sounds ok . I don't know any rules on music theory so you don't have to worry about me :dunno: I am however willing to listen to anything you have to say! Know it or not you've been helping me along my journey all along.

Johnny

hearinvoices    12

Ok Paul....here's one for ya. How do I play over something like this. I'm playing E - B power chord - A and then a little roll on the E string and then on the change its A - B - G power chords more or less. Is it even something to play over ?

Johnny

powerchords.mp3

sheraton    20

the numbers are the fret numbers of the low E string

E = 0

F = 1

F# = 2

G = 3

G# = 4

A = 5

A# = 6

B = 7

C = 8

C# = 9

D = 10

D# = 11

E = 12

for power chords whatever fret your index or first finger is on is the root of the chord - so a power chord with your index finger on the fifth fret of the low E string = A power chord

here are the notes of the A string -

A = 0

A# = 1

B = 2

C = 3

C# = 4

D = 5

D# = 6

E = 7

F = 8

F# = 9

G = 10

G# = 11

A = 12

that probably doesn't look as clear as i think it does, but give it a minute it should make sense

sheraton    20

Ok Paul....here's one for ya. How do I play over something like this. I'm playing E - B power chord - A and then a little roll on the E string and then on the change its A - B - G power chords more or less. Is it even something to play over ?

Johnny

Aye man! i am diggin that idea ;)

i get your verse chords as being - E B A G

the change A B G A x3 - then is it A# A G E at the end of that part ???

it's good to hear you waiting on the beat between those parts, that wee bit space makes all the difference

an easy idea to play over this is to play the root note of the chords @ the 12th fret

so just an idea for the first part

E_____________________________

B_____________________________

G____________________12_12____

D_____________________________

A________14__12_12_12_________

E_12_12_______________________

___e__e___b___a__a__a_g__g = these are the notes

Paul........

micky mac    14

hows it going paul and johnny.

i guess with squires its a bit hit and miss i traded one of my guitars yesterday for a 1989 squire tele ive never had one before so i was'nt expecting to much theres chips out of the paint everywhere and the frets are badly worn down but this thing looks feels and sounds great and i know what you mean about the neck like a baseball bat feels just as good as a mexican i had a couple of years ago.

Johnny i used this program and still do to learn the neck of the guitar it calls out random notes and you play then on the guitar before the program you can set the speed yourself theres even a setting that you don't use the guitar just the mouse you should check it out http://www.absolutefretboard.com/aft/lite.htm this is only a demo version if you like it i can send you a link for the full version.

another program i use is guitar scales method ive been using it for a while now to its another great program it can learn you the modes to but im not that far into it myself it focuses on the major scale but when you know the major scale you know the minor to just the paturn number is different http://www.guitarscalesmethod.com/ you can download the trial here and again i can give you a link to the full version if you like it which i'll bet you will.

johnny that last track you done rocks :beer: nice sound you can't beat the sound of a guitar that growls. oh the empty is on beers in the fridge and the herb is starting to work lol :escape:

hearinvoices    12

Hey Paul and Micky.

Thanks for the links Micky I will have to check em out.

Paul you are right on with the chords with the exception of the G. Its not really a G. Its more of a little ditty on the top string 3rd fret 2nd fret and open back to E. But looking at your chart the first note is a G note. so I guess it single notes of G F# E and then E chord. I'm getting ready to go outta town with the family so when I get back i'll see if I can put something over this with what you have shown me. May not be pretty but I'll give it a shot lol.

Johnny

sheraton    20

Hey Johnny, although you are playing just a single note on the G, it would still count as a G chord in the structure (not sure of the technical term here) of the song - i think

Micky - i hope you don't get an asbo........ an empty, a fridge full of beer, some tweed and a guitar :punk::rockon::beer:

have a good weekend guys ;)

i'm wallpapering again tomorrow......can't wait.....lol

Paul............

micky mac    14

i never heard of them paul ill have to look them up. i just a couple of weeks ago found the black keys and im hooked on there music sounds so raw similar to your tones.I read somewhere he just uses old no name guitars too and they still sound like that. do you every listen to them whats your favourite song?

sheraton    20

Aye i've heard a couple of their tunes, i have an album, the soundtrack to the movie "black snake moan" wi' Samuel L in it, it has one of their songs on there, i think the song is "when the lights go out"

if you want to check out "North Mississippi Allstars" there's a good full live Gig recording to download here, for free ;)

http://archive.org/details/nma2012-11-23.mk012.flac16

and it's legit :) to download

Paul..........

sheraton    20

Hat's off to you Johnny :yes: that's quality............the improvement i can hear in your playing, even just from the first post in this thread :smilinguitar::thumbup1:

something's working for you, keep it up..........you should be able to hear some progress yourself....?

Paul...............

hearinvoices    12

Thanks Paul. I am noticing some progress but still have a long way to go. You are just hearing the final takes.... you should see how many takes it takes me to get it right sometimes lol. I love this thread.....it really has started me looking beyond what I had been doing. Thanks for the guidance and as long as you keep givibg advice I'll keep taking it!

Johnny

micky mac    14

i will check that album out paul just my internet alowance is nearly up ill listen at the weekend.

johnny thats turning into a proper song now fair play to ye.

well ive been jammin on your backing track paul and i can't come up with much but i love the groove to it so recorded this i've been trying to slow my playing down and listen more to what im playing-hearing but im going to keep at it and work out a couple of riffs and hopefully a little ( very little ) solo for it.

and as johnny already said i love this thread to its good to post something that someone will listen to and give encouragement- advise to the less talented among us (((ME)))

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12275753

i wish i could just upload here but for some reason i keep getting a failed message.

sheraton    20

nice Johnny, i like what you've added, good guitar sound too :)

the more attempts it takes to get something you're happy with the better........it's the practice that makes the difference ;)

sheraton    20

Cool Micky ;) ............i like your thinkin on it, i can hear when you are trying and maybe even thinking too much, and when you start feeling it a bit more.......this is all part of the process tho, in order to progress, we have to put a certain amount of thought into it, and try things out, most of the time we will try things that don't necessarily work or sound pleasing, but we will be learning from it all the time ;)

you have some great bends going on, you have a good feel/touch for it :smilinguitar:

hearinvoices    12

I also like where you are going with it Micky. You have some really cool moments in it too. You've gotten a whole lot further than I on it for sure. I guess I'm gonna have to try to see if I can do something now lol. Nice job.

Thanks Paul. I'm trying to figure out how to do different things over the chords but it seems to come out sounding a whole lot like the chord progression itself lol. I'm getting there little by little on understanding how it works and even slower on getting it to work :huh: but I'm gonna keep on plucking away.

Johnny