sheraton

the Post a 2 Guitar track 16 bar(or so) recording....thread

sheraton    20

How'do Micky, i was hopin to get somethin recorded, and post it tonight for you to have a wee jam, incase you're a Saturday night wi' a few beers Jam man

i've been busy tryin to get a song idea finished to free up space on my 8-track, i got a first take mix done, so i can make space for recording some backin tracks ;)

i've got a couple of things to do just now, i'll see if i can get something recorded/posted when i'm done :)

Paul....................

micky mac    14

sound paul thats no bother theres no rush sure. i am a saturday night beers and jam man just not tonight, just watched the impossible with the kids what a way to spend saturday night 2 of them crying watching a movie ah the joys of being a da.

i was actually trying to come up with something myself today came up with a track 5 minutes long but its only 6 bars repeated lol i just cant seem to move to another chord and swap up a riff maybe you can see if you can or tell me if its just shite lol just 4 bars Am and 2 bars Dm

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12259314

i mixed it with head phones so it think it sounds better with head phones than speakers (maybe not lol)

now tell the truth you wont hurt my fellings :beer:

sheraton    20

how'do Johnny and Micky.........and anyone else who may join in ;)

this might not be what you guys were after........but i picked up my guitar, and this is what we got for starters :)

a simple guitar with simple bassline and a drumbeat, chords used are E, A, D - i'm not actually playing full chords, so i think the E may be technically an E5 or E5th chord.......but, Em pentatonic scale works well with this backin, with no real need to think about the chords

i'll post a couple of examples of what you can do over this ;) feel free to fire right in to the backin track, if you think hearing an example may be off-putting

the first take i done is played around the 12th fret, mostly in the Em pentatonic, with a few extensions and some open E notes

second take is a cleaner guitar, starting off in the open position of the Em pentatonic, moving up to 12th fret, and ending just playing the pentatonic scale up and down (without really going to the beat....lol) as an example of the notes going with the chords while just playing the scale and not even trying to play a lick.....

Backin jam track 1 (with guitar ).mp3

Backin jam track 1 (with guitar )(2).mp3

Backin jam track 1.mp3

post-76128-0-58796900-1365287620.png

post-76128-0-92601700-1365287640.png

post-76128-0-23478800-1365287654.png

sheraton    20

sound paul thats no bother theres no rush sure. i am a saturday night beers and jam man just not tonight, just watched the impossible with the kids what a way to spend saturday night 2 of them crying watching a movie ah the joys of being a da.

i was actually trying to come up with something myself today came up with a track 5 minutes long but its only 6 bars repeated lol i just cant seem to move to another chord and swap up a riff maybe you can see if you can or tell me if its just shite lol just 4 bars Am and 2 bars Dm

http://soundclick.co...cfm?id=12259314

i mixed it with head phones so it think it sounds better with head phones than speakers (maybe not lol)

now tell the truth you wont hurt my fellings :beer:

How'do Micky............aye man ;) i like the vibe of that one, that's a good riff and the two guitar idea works well :yes: a few beats missed here and there, but the more you play to a beat the more fluid timing becomes

i like it :punk:

you could play the pattern you have a couple of times, then go to an E chord for 8 beats then D for 8 beats back in to your Am Dm pattern, to start, a simple natural progression, nothin fancy .......was there a C chord in there somewhere too, or i'm hearin things.....lol

Paul..................

hearinvoices    12

Hey Micky that was pretty cool ! I love the vibe. Maybe a few bum notes here and there but a WHOLE lot of potential! I really like the feel . I hope you try to expand on this one !

Johnny

hearinvoices    12

Paul I love the backing Jam ! I think it may be out of my level after hearing yours but I'm gonna give it a Shot as soon as I get a Chance. May take me a few days with work and all but I'm up for the challenge! On a personal note ..... not to get too sentimental or anything but you have really been an inspiration to me on everything I have done and am trying to learn. Just thought I would add that and say a big Thank You !

Johnny

hearinvoices    12

Hey Micky just found your first recorded post ! Love the vibe to it. I think (but remember I'm no expert) a few more breaks in it would set it off. But holy cow you have some great licks in there ! Keep em coming!

Johnny

hearinvoices    12

Well I put a little something together over your backing track Paul. Now don't get to excited cause it isn't really all that good nor technical and I may have had a few too many beers to really be playing anyway :beer: lol. But I went ahead and did it anyway soooooooooo here it is in all its glory. my bends were off and I got a little behind the beat at times but I was just kinda winging it.

Johnny

(still had fun tho)

overpaulsbacking.mp3

sheraton    20

Hey Johnny, glad to be of some help :smilinguitar:

i like what you got going on on that take, i can see/hear that you are listening to the backin track as you play and you have some good ideas :yes:

a really good start :beer:

if we can keep this thread going, it will be interesting to see/hear what is getting posted further on up the road ;)

one thing i'd say to remember, don't worry too much about what you post as a performance, remember it's practise :yes: we need to start somewhere, and leave ourselves some room for improvement :smilinguitar:

i'm impressed with what's been posted so far, and that you guys are keen to get into it ;)

Paul..............

micky mac    14

wow nice solo there paul another example of not playing to much and leaving space was that the strat and what are you using for your amp these days sounds good. looking forward to trying the backing track when i get a chance hopefull later tonight.

im going to ad a couple of bars of e into my track as well and not as much gain the next time, there's no c in there yet might be the next time you hear it though.

cheers johnny i have to learn to leave some space in my playing for sure im going to work on that as well as timing im hopeless at keeping track of what chord is coming up and what beat im on :brickwall:

just listening to your track now i can hear you fixed the volume nice playing im picturing you playing this with your eyes closed supper chilled out i love the tone is that on the mustang or did you fiddle and come up with it yourself. :punk:

sheraton    20

Aye Micky, been playing that old Squire lately, it has a few issues, i think the truss rod may be broken/loose as it has a bad rattle going on, but i like playing it :) i'm just playing directly into my Boss 8-track these days, i had to sell my amp to raise some funds a week or two ago :( i'll get a replacement when i get my financial situation sorted tho :)

lookin forward to hearing what you do with that idea you got ;)

sheraton    20

wow nice solo there paul another example of not playing to much and leaving space was that the strat and what are you using for your amp these days sounds good. looking forward to trying the backing track when i get a chance hopefull later tonight.

im going to ad a couple of bars of e into my track as well and not as much gain the next time, there's no c in there yet might be the next time you hear it though.

cheers johnny i have to learn to leave some space in my playing for sure im going to work on that as well as timing im hopeless at keeping track of what chord is coming up and what beat im on :brickwall:

just listening to your track now i can hear you fixed the volume nice playing im picturing you playing this with your eyes closed supper chilled out i love the tone is that on the mustang or did you fiddle and come up with it yourself. :punk:

Micky, a good way of getting the feel for the chord changes, and to help get ideas to go along with a progression - is to start off playing the chords along with the progression, get a feel for where the changes are - maybe even move the chords to a different position, play barre chords or power chords along with the progression.........then when you have a good feel for the structure, it will make playing along easier

Paul..............

sheraton    20

i recorded this earlier as a backin and example, how a simple riff can give a bit of structure if repeated in certain places, also to mix that up with chords (as opposed to lead) on the chorus/change, and a wee bit lead to create a verse

i couldn't help myself....lol....i done the backin, added guitar, and i heard a wee tune in there ;)

chords are - G D G Em....repeated for the main part, C G D C for the change

lyrics - cos i think it's good advice ;)

V

it's all so easy when you break it down

just shed some wood and soon you'll find your sound

take one little step at a time,

and soon you'll be playing with some rhythm and rhyme

CH

it might seem hopeless to start

but if you feel each note, and feel it with your heart

take time to work things out

i'll be here to help on your way

Break it down (backin track).mp3

Break it down (instrumental).mp3

Break it down.mp3

Paul...........

hearinvoices    12

Hey micky. If you were asking me if I used my mustang to record these I did not. I have been doing it late at night so I have just been pluggin in my digitech RP250 straight to the computer and using head phones plugged into the digitech.

Paul, excellent recording there ! I think it might take me quite a while to get the ear you have for this. I would not have been able to come up with the singing over the playing like you have at all. It's not gonna stop me from trying to come up with something though lol. I'm still happy right now just trying to find the right notes to play and like micky said just trying to keep the beat and chord changes straight is about all I can handle. But I do love to keep pushing and trying.

Johnny

sheraton    20

Aye Johnny, just remember it's a journey and we have to start somewhere ;)

i hear improvement in your playing every time you post a recording :yes:

also i've been playing for 20 years and still getting to grips with it all................i couldn't imagine getting to a point where i think, that's it, i've reached maximum potential

as long as you get your hands on a guitar regularly, you'll improve, and (for those with no patience) there are no excuses for - my fingers won't do it - fingers need the training and exercise before they can remember what's expected of them ;) i know about this well, as i had to re-learn to play the guitar after getting my left hand dragged into a machine, i done a fair bit of damage and severed my tendons, my fingers didn't actually work for a time after that, my index finger took a long time before i could straighten it, i still have a lot of scar tissue, and nerve endings that give me grief.............but it was a chance to re-learn and change my style a wee bit........... a couple of years after the injury, i received some compensation and managed to buy a used Marshall JCM800 50w head and a 4x12 speaker cab :punk:

the early days are the best, as there are so many things to learn and surprise yourself with :yes:

Paul...............

hearinvoices    12

Yea Paul I'm definitely not giving up ! I'm gonna post a little idea I'm thinking about working on to play over. It's just the start but before I get to far into it I was wondering if the chords sound like they go together.

Thanks.

Johnny

messin.mp3

sheraton    20

Aye Johnny, i like that idea, the chords sound good together, there's a wee riff then a chord comes in a 00:10 if you left a couple of beats between them, i think definition and flow between parts would be better..........that's not a criticism tho, i really like this idea, and that wee riff is quality :yes:

Paul............

micky mac    14

Aye Micky, been playing that old Squire lately, it has a few issues, i think the truss rod may be broken/loose as it has a bad rattle going on, but i like playing it :) i'm just playing directly into my Boss 8-track these days, i had to sell my amp to raise some funds a week or two ago :( i'll get a replacement when i get my financial situation sorted tho :)

lookin forward to hearing what you do with that idea you got ;)

i had a squire classic 50 vibe i bought a few weeks back i hated it the fretboard was completly flat apart from that it sounded good just did'nt feel right. you must miss your amp i was looking at a laney cub 8 amp head a while back sounded like a deadly amp on utube atleast i just could'nt get the cash together ( dole victim ).

micky mac    14

cool tune paul so you really can make up a song about anything :clap:

i had a little play with your backing track yesterday and i like the rythm it has i havent recorded anything yet the house has been to busy but as kevin bridges says i have an empty all weekend so ill have plenty of time then ( poor neighbours ) lol.

sounds good to me johnny would sound even better with drums.

hearinvoices    12

Here is another one Paul. I might have went overboard with the " less is more " thing tho lol. It's nothing spectacular but it is what it is. Gonna try to get a little more technical as I go I hope but this one is still just basic stuff.

Johnny

messin2.mp3

sheraton    20

i had a squire classic 50 vibe i bought a few weeks back i hated it the fretboard was completly flat apart from that it sounded good just did'nt feel right. you must miss your amp i was looking at a laney cub 8 amp head a while back sounded like a deadly amp on utube atleast i just could'nt get the cash together ( dole victim ).

my Squier is a 50th anniversary, it has quite a flat fretboard too, and a neck like baseball bat, but i love it, it's all beat up and has a few problems, but that's just character :) .........aye i miss the Laney, great amps, but i'm in the same boat (dole)

so do you want me put the word out that you have an empty ;)

• Like 1

sheraton    20

oh aye Johnny, i like it ;) i think your, less is more, is more or less spot on :) your wee lead licks work well

most guitarists tend to overplay (myself included) and to quote Mr Clapton - "it's not what you play, but what you don't play that counts" - it's the space between the notes that really matters, notes need to be divided by space to give melody/rhythm/structure/form, without the division of space it's just noise

seeifiwriteaweesentencewithnospacebetweenthewordsitbecomesalothardertoounderstandwhatiamtryingtoconveyalthoughihaveusedlotsoflettersthereisnoformanditishardtoread.

Paul...........

hearinvoices    12

Thanks Paul and Micky. The drums stop because I'm not very good at coming up with the drum parts lol. The main beat didn't sound right over it so I just cut it. I have Acoustica Beatcraft to make drum patterns but I really haven't messed with it much so I'm not very good at the drum tracking. I usually just use one of the loops off my digitech peddle but none of them seemed to work with this. So I just came up with a simple beat but when I got to the change I couldnt come up with anything so I just cut it. :dunno:

I think I need to work on more ways to noodle on the guitar. I seem to get stuck in the box pattern A LOT. Been trying to think outside the box but I really still don't know the fret board that well. When I have been trying to do these few I have done I have pulled up a chart on each chord showing where the notes are on the fret board and noodle around with them for a while and then try to record something. Maybe one day after i do this enough I will start to know where these notes are but for now I still have to use my cheat sheet lol.

Still not quite on the level I don't believe to play over your last backing Paul. I have tinkered for a minute but haven't made any real progress.

Johnny

sheraton    20

Hey Johnny, don't feel any pressure to post a recording of your playing over these backin tracks, (in hindsight i should have given the thread a better title) lol

they're there to jam to, if they are of any use ;)

i'll maybe post an idea with a couple of easy riffs, that i'll try and tab out, or maybe a wee video........a piece to learn, and i'll try and make it so it has a few notes that will take you out of the box ;)

i'm no good when it comes to explaining theory, there are plenty of resources to explain this side of things properly anyway

my approach is to take a couple of basic pointers, and expand it from there into something that makes sense to me.......lol.......i am rubbish at explaining things....but i try...

anyway, if you take whatever box pattern you are using, and just try playing 2 frets higher from each note at that side of the box, and 2 frets lower at the other side, you'll notice that not all of these extra notes work (depending on what scale you use, and whether minor/major chords etc..) but the notes that work, you can use to extend your playing outwith the box.............this is for starters, and i'm trying to explain it so you can try it, and work out for yourself what you have learned

here's a wee example of extending the pentatonic box - three extra notes to start, but it adds another shape to the box, i'll add to this if it makes sense to you

Am position for example

E - 5 8 10

B - 5 8 10

G - 5 7 9

D - 5 7

A - 5 7

E - 5 8

Paul.........