sheraton

the Post a 2 Guitar track 16 bar(or so) recording....thread

i thought i'd create a thread for anyone really to post a recording, but more for those who feel they're maybe not up to recording and posting...........and hopefully share what i can to help or inspire, even if just a wee bit.........i could maybe demonstrate what not to do.....lol

i thought laying down a wee challenge could be fun :) or i should say offering a wee excercise.............if anyone should fancy

so a simple 2 guitar track, to a beat, with one guitar doing simple chord strums, and another doing some form of melody/lead line

i'd say this is a good first step approach to understanding how chords rhythm and melody work using simple ideas, and playing simple chord strums while listening to the beat will help with timing, and give a simple basis with space to play ..........any notes from the chords for an arpeggio, pick any notes from the chord and if your timing is good, it will sound good.......or take different chord positions, and play any notes from that for a lead lick........or any notes from the scale/s associated with the chords/key........

i'll post a wee starter ;)

simple idea 4 chords 100bpm random beat no changes........

chords i played are Em A (something?) C G......repeated

i started the next track with picking single notes on the same chord shapes

then an easy ascending scale riff

and higher riff past the 12th fret with a couple of bends etc....

2 gtr idea with beat.mp3

just a bit of reverb on the guitars, and played on my Squier strat

don't be shy :)

Paul.............

Ok Paul so I kind of did it. lol I came up with a chord progression and recorded it. Then I fumbled through some notes trying to see if I could get any of them to sound right. I have never done this before so its not very good but its a start. I wasn't gonna post this till I had a chance to really come up with something that sounded good but it is 430 in morning and I'm tired and not sure when I'll have the next chance to get back to this so here it is in the rough ....

Johnny

goofin.wav

Hey Johnny :)

nice one :yes::clap: ...........this is really good ;)

i thought i'd start this as a post to improve thread, rather than post to impress.......but you have impressed(me) wi' this one, and your playing is improving all the time :smilinguitar:

great rhythm and overall vibe going on, timing is good, and some great licks too..........i love that wee 4-note lick that repeats a few times, it goes really well with the rhythm guitar :cool:

i don't really have any advice i could give for improvement...........other than keep doing what you are doing :yes:

this is a great original idea, and it can only get better........

hopefully more folks will take the plunge and post something,..............

by the way Johnny, did you use Reaper? if so when you export the file from reaper, if you change the type from WAV to MP3, it will be a much smaller file size

nice one again...............

Paul.............

Thanks Paul. I'm gonna go back and try to come up with something that sounds better. I was just playing some notes to try to get a feel for it. I have never really tried to play over something like this. I have to admit it was a lot of fun trying to figure it out. I'm looking forward to trying it some more! Thanks for starting this thread. It gives me something new to work on!  Plus it will get me working on more chord progressions!

JohnnyOh yea and I did use reaper... I just forgot to click mp3. I was too tired to so I just left it a wav file lol

• Like 1

i look forward to hearing another take ;)

i think when learning (which should never stop regardless how long we've been playing) but to begin with, it's good to play freeform unaccompanied guitar, and just make some noise, and just get to grips with the guitar..

there comes a time when we want to clean it up a little, timing, pitch/key, attack etc....and play to an accompaniment or another musician or two

i think this is a good easy way to train the ear for timing etc.....it's also a good exercise for improvising and song idea creation

you could play to a professional backing track, but i feel by recording some kind of accompaniment yourself, you learn more and skill level and recording quality will be evenly matched.........which can help inspire progression

Paul............

oh aye just started using Reaper myself, just to create drum tracks tho..................EZdrummer is the shizzzzz

Hey Johnny this is cool ;)

i like that you never played the the second/lead guitar over the whole thing........the space is good, it helps to add structure and an extra bit of overall depth................

a nice smaller file to download too :)

one other thing you can do - i'm assuming you left both guitars dead centre in the mix, an idea would be, pan the rhythm guitar left about 75% and the second guitar about 50% right, not that we should be getting too concerned with recording details, but this will help seperate the two guitars in the mix

Paul...............

Well I took your advise and I did the panning. I also raised the volume up just a little on what I would consider to be the chorus to give it a little more umpff. Thanks again for this post. I'm having fun with it and learning more as I go !

Johnny

goofin(pan).mp3

hey Johnny, i'm glad this thread has been of some use :)

the panning is good, do you notice how it helps seperate the two tracks ? the pan settings i mentioned are just suggestions.....but a good starting point

i like the last post too, i can hear how you are starting to think more about the structure ;)

the lead guitar could be a wee bit more prominent in the mix (louder)....not too much.....just a tad

i can hear that you are listening to the rhythm track when playing the lead track, which is good :)

keep up the good work ;) it's good to hear your progress

i think a few good things can come from an exercise like this, by recording something simple i.e just pick a few chords, at random even, the pressure is off when it comes to being creative, and you have no expectations.............when you get the chords recorded, you will listen more to that track for ideas of what to play for your lead track.........when you have two tracks recorded and have a chance to listen back, you will hear parts that may pleasantly surprise you and parts you think, i should have done something different there - this is good as it means you are learning and training your ear

listening back to your own playing is good training........i think even more so when you hear mistakes or bum notes

and posting ideas/takes is good........it allows you the opportunity to receive feedback/criticism/advice/inspiration........and also helps overcome any confidence issues regarding others hearing our efforts.........as beginners, when we hear ourselves playing and accept(in a positive way) we are no Hendrix yet, but at the same time see our potential, and realise what level of skill we are at, learning and progressing will be easier and greater

Paul..............

exellent thread paul.

nice playing johnny thats a funky rythm you've got going on there unfortunatly i can't give you any advice because im hopeless i never practice chord tones i just play random notes to a backing track when i practise.

so ive a new goal for today to practise over maybe 2 chords and see if i can record something.

ok stupid question alert.

If im trying to come up with something over 2 chords (A D ) should i play notes from within the 2 chord shapes or use the a major scale and try to land on the d when the chord comes around.

How'do Micky :)

good to see another face getting in on this ;)

i don't know much of the theory side of things - i couldn't even show you the A major scale....lol

and i don't use any rules as such, i try to just find the right notes......if you play something that doesn't sound right try something else

a lot of my lead playing is based in and around minor pentatonic scales (i know that much)

for my example which actually starts on Fm not Em..........as i had a capo on the first fret i got the chords wrong lol

anyway i started the lead track by playing the chords in the same position as the first guitar, but picking individual notes randomly rather than strumming .....i then played a few riffs which i think are pretty much in the Fm pentatonic scale

to get ideas for riffs following the chords you could try playing the chords in a different position and taking notes from each chord to make a riff

for instance if you played A and D in the open/standard chord position strumming to a beat......then try play along with that in barre chord position of A and D - don't fret the whole chord but visualise the notes - so you could base your first finger on the 5th fret of the low E string the root of the A (the 5th fret will sound good on any string over this chord minor or major) the other three fingers used for the A barre chord give you three more notes to use that will obviously sound good when played with the chord..........do the same with the D chord

or visualise the notes and pattern of the chords an octave higher at the 12th fret, and use individual notes for riffs changing patterns with the chords

i'm not sure if that helps any.............

Paul...............

Alright! Someone else giving it a go. Jump in Micky. I think you'll find once you take the plunge it will become addictive lol. I have been loving it. And Paul gives great advise and encouragement! When I recorded mine I went with the notes in the chords i was playing and changed notes as the chords changed. And then like Paul said if I hit a note that didn't work you will hear it and just changw it up. Good luck and cant wait to hear.....

Johnny

well here goes not to hot and lots of mistakes and wonky bends lol.

just 2 chords Am and Dm i tryed to use the 2 different scales. next time ill try a major chord.

for some reason i can't get it uploaded been trying for an hour ill try again if it does'nt work ill upload it some where else and post a link.

Hey Paul I see what you are saying on the volume now. When I recorded it I have been doing in the wee hours of the morning and been using headphones. It all sounded right with the head phones on but then I burned it to a cd to listen to it in the car on the way to work and could hardly hear the lead. so I guess I need to turn the volume where it may seem to much with the head phones and it should be just right lol.

Can't wait to hear what you have Micky. Hope you are having as much fun with it as I am!

Oh I know what I was gonna ask you Paul. Is there any way you could record a few different five minute drum loops to maybe give me a little something different to try to play to?

Johnny

Hey Paul I see what you are saying on the volume now. When I recorded it I have been doing in the wee hours of the morning and been using headphones. It all sounded right with the head phones on but then I burned it to a cd to listen to it in the car on the way to work and could hardly hear the lead. so I guess I need to turn the volume where it may seem to much with the head phones and it should be just right lol.

Can't wait to hear what you have Micky. Hope you are having as much fun with it as I am!

Oh I know what I was gonna ask you Paul. Is there any way you could record a few different five minute drum loops to maybe give me a little something different to try to play to?

Johnny

lol i was going to ask the same thing only with rythm guitar.

if i remember the mustang right johnny if you turn the volume up on the preset your using you can turn the master volume down and still get enough volume for recording.

Johnny

Aye i'll see what i can do ;) .........i could do a couple of different things for you have a wee jam along to, i could give you some drumbeats without chords or with chords to play to if you like

lol i was going to ask the same thing only with rythm guitar.

if i remember the mustang right johnny if you turn the volume up on the preset your using you can turn the master volume down and still get enough volume for recording.

;) i'll post a couple of simple backin ideas when i can get something down :)

going to go have a wee listen to your first bash Micky

oh Aye Micky :) that's cool i like the vibe, some nice licks in there, a couple of killer bends wi' some nice vibrato :smilinguitar:

again a wee bit of panning will seperate the tracks in the mix - if you can do this while recording it helps too - record first track and pan it slightly to one side, and if possible adjust the input pan a bit to the other side - i know this is not a priority, but it will help, and there is also not too much i can say advice wise other than keep it up :yes: the more we commit to doing an exercise like this the better it will get each time, and you'll find you learn a lot even if you couldn't say what you have learned, ear training can be the best practise.........

i look forward to more, and i'll try and post some sort of backing asap

Paul....................

cheers paul i was reading your earlyer reply to johnny and i see that leaving space between phrases does really help with the overall sound and ill try to spread the sound through the speakers.

im looking forward to hearing a track of yours to play to.