Daddyo

Amp for Tele

Daddyo    5

Now I know we have some Tele players here and I hope I can get an opinio for each of ya!! (Yeah. I live in a perfect world, huh? lol ) I bought a brand new 2012 Fender Telecaster MIM Standard, Monday. (3/18/13) I'm SUPER excited about it too!! The only problem I've run into is finding "The Perfect Amp" to play it through. I've been teaching myself to play since September of last year, (7 months) and MOST of that time has been spent buying and selling equipment. I now have the GUITARS I wantbut I only have a Fender Mustang I, (15 amp-24 built in effects) and it's pretty overwhelming with all the adjustments. What I would like is a simpler setup (that's one of the reasons I love a Tele. 2 pickups, 3 settings, two nobs) even if I need to get pedals.

I like to play folk rock and some country, right now. As I progress (which will go faster now that I have the tools I like) I will eventually play blues, blues rock, classic rock and some metal.

I read, on a different forum that it's pretty much a tie between the Fender Princeton or the VOX AC30.

Will you good people PLEASE give me your intelligent, educated and experienced opinions? Anything will be helpful and everything will be appreciated. Thank you so much in abvance!! :grin:

mset3    158

Daddyo,

I've had a Fender Twin Reverb for quite a while. It has a nice clean sound. From what I've heard VOX makes a good amp. I'm just partial to Fender.

Mike

sheraton    20

in the past i used a Vester telecaster copy, which i loved........should have kept that one, but i gave it to a friend when i got my Sheraton..

i used that guitar with a Marshall JCM800 50w head and 4x12 which sounded great, i'm not so keen on fender guitars with fender amps as i thought they're both quite bright sounding, and the Marshall gives a thicker more mid range sound - great with a tele........any Marshall would sound good ;)

one thing i'd say, if you have only been playing for 7 months - then as long as you have a guitar you're fine, and any amp would do......play what you have and learn from it....

Paul..........

RolandC    8

Another option is to buy a digital guitar amp modeler.

For example, I use a Boss ME-70 multi-effects pedal that has preamp settings that model several different types of amp (Marshall Stack, Tweed, etc.) that play through your regular amp. Is it perfect? No, but close enough that I don't feel the need to shell out thousands of dollars for multiple amps (as well as a separate apartment to store them). It's also nice being able to switch from one sound to another without having to physically switch out amps

Line 6 makes several lines of a product called POD--there is a floor model that has 32 amp settings and can be had for $150 on Amazon.

Daddyo    5

Well, guys, (Mike, Paul and Roland) ya'll certainly have been a big help with your suggestions. I'm lined up to buy an older USED Acoustisonic for $150 but I also have my eye on a Kustom 15 watt tube half stack (brand new) for $225. There's a VOX 50 watt valvetronics w/stand and dual switch pedal for $250. (Excellent cond) and a VOX AC-4 in great shape for $175 then a Berhinger 15 watt tube (new in sealed box) for $70. Which one of these do you suggest?

Daddyo    5

Well, guys, (Mike, Paul and Roland) ya'll certainly have been a big help with your suggestions. I'm lined up to buy an older USED Acoustisonic for $150 but I also have my eye on a Kustom 15 watt tube half stack (brand new) for $225. There's a VOX 50 watt valvetronics w/stand and dual switch pedal for $250. (Excellent cond) and a VOX AC-4 in great shape for $175 then a Berhinger 15 watt tube (new in sealed box) for $70. Which one of these do you suggest?

RolandC    8

Which one of these do you suggest?

Since it seems that you are really looking for a specific sound, I would suggest that you try each of them to be sure it will deliver what you want.

Daddyo    5

Well, the Acoustasonic is a NO!!! That sucker had evidence of fallin off the Space Shuttle during reentry or somethin!! Bad shape!! Sheraton, I'm gonna take yer advice about the Marshall. I found an MG half stack, in Orange, with casters for 300 bills!! I'm hopin it's a match made in heaven!!

RolandC, I sure wish I COULD try em all!! That would be a kick in the pants if I could buy em all, huh? Wouldn't that be somethin? Have yer buddies over and tell em to grab a guitar ..... AND AN AMP and meet me out on the porch!! (If all my numbers would just match to the one that roll outta the pop corn popper) I already have a Fender Mustang I, in the 15watt variety. It has 24 different sounds and I don't know how many adjustments. It's not labeled properly, unless you have a fantastic memory... and I don't ... I think ... heck I can't remember. (I know. I know. Said it, heard it, thought of it before and it stil ain't funny)

So anyway ... My girls think I need to get a SpiderJam. They certainly are nice lookin and Line 6 makes a good product!! The only thing I see wrong with em is, the more stuff there is, the more stuff can go bad, plus the songs, in the memory limits you on what songs you can play along with. What's wrong with jammin with a stereo system? I really believe this Marshall is the way to go. It's not very old. Never been gigged. Not a scratch on it, and the price certainly is right!!!

I'll post some pics when I get what I get. In the meantime, if there are any issues with either one of these, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! Thanx again, y'all!! (I just KNEW this wss gonna be the forum with the most knowledge and coolest members!!

sheraton    20

How'do Daddyo ...........i've never played a bad Marshall, i've owned a few amps over the years, but i've played lots of different amps regularly at rehearsal studios........lots of different Marshall amps which have all been good, lots of Peavey amps which i liked mostly.......Crate amps - i've owned one and played a couple of others.....meh.....not really my cup of tea, i've played a few Fender amps, most recently a red Hot Rod Deluxe.....i didn't like it....years back i owned a Fender Performer 1000 100w 1x12 Hybrid (valve in the preamp) i think they renamed it the Roc Pro 1000, i really liked this amp

as for Line6 i've played a couple of different amps at rehearsal rooms, and i didn't like them.......but everybody has different taste and requirements etc..

i just recently had to sell my amp - Laney VC-15 - she'll be missed, i owned a Laney VC-30 a few years ago too....amazing amp....

just for the sake of it, here's a list of my favourite amps - i've either owned or played regularly at some point :D

in no particular order

Laney VC-30 - class A valve combo, 30 watts 12" speaker - amazing class A valve tone and loud

Laney VC-15 - class A/B valve combo, 15 watts, 10" speaker - similar overall tone to the VC-30,

Peavey Delta Blues - 30 watts(i think) valve combo, 15" speaker, built in tremelo (valve driven i'm sure) - the best tremelo i've played, and an amazing sounding amp

Marshall JCM800 - 50 watt head and 4x12 cab - the best Marshall amp ever ? i think so.....lol...i sold mine

Roland jazz chorus - 100 watt (i think) solid state amp 2x12" speaker (i think) - great clean tones (i used one years ago at rehearsals with a band i played in and it suited the songs we were doing)

Torque t-100? - 100 watt solid state combo, 12" speaker - i owned and played this amp for years, gigged supporting "the Bandits" in Liverpool playing this, just a basic loud but clean solid state combo, had a great reverb sound and worked well with a couple of pedals - still have the cab and speaker but the amp passed away.....

Paul..............

micky mac    14

hi daddyo im going to recomend the fender champ is a 15 watt hybrid tube amp i have a vibro champ xd 5 watt, the little brother and it sounds amazing but i dont like the speaker (8" ) i'd bet the speaker in the champ is deadly ( being a 12" ) i use mine with a marshall mg 4x12 cab and it sounds better but the speaker in the vibro champ is way more responcive.

since i've been playing i've owned close to 10 amps and the vibrochamp is by far the best of them im also willing to bet this thing was built for tele''''s

:punk: :punk: :punk:

Jimbo70    0

You've only been playing seven months, what's your hurry? Find the settings on you fender you like and enjoy it because I think if you get something else you'll find yourself wanting different effects that the Mustang already offers. If have to buy something forget about those big 50 watt heads with a 4x12 cabinet or even the 30 watt combos because unless you won't be able to turn it up enough to take advantage of the tone. Check out something like the Vox Lil Night train or anything under 5 watts so you can turn it up without cracking the plaster.

fly135    5

It's a good thing you didn't get the Acoustasonic because that is an amp for an acoustic/electric guitar. I would also back the recommendation for the Super Champ XD. The latest version is the Super Champ X2.

Daddyo    5

Fly, you are correct about the Acoustasonic. I do play acoustic electric too though and I guess I had that fact on my mind at the time.

Jimbo, the Mustang has sooo many options that #1, it's pretty dang overwhelmin and 2, I was lookin for something that has a crisp, clean, as well as overdrive and reverb. The Mustang fell short on the clean and the reverb wasn't very good either. You can't get both on the same channel at the same time!! At least I couldn't!!! lol

Paul, (Mickey Mac, you might like this too) I kept within my price range and got a Marshall Limited Edition MG100HFX!!!! It's a 100 watt solid state with everything I was lookin for!! She's perddy too!! Redish orange and not a flaw on her!! She not only makes the Tele sound great, she also makes my acoustic electrics sound AWESOME!!! For 300 bucks, if she doesn't work out, for some unknown reason, the owner of my local guitar shop is beggin me to sell it to him!!!! Right now, I'm lovin her!!! I haven't had any complaints from the neighbors or from the airport yet so I recon I need to CRANK IT UP SOME MORE!!!! LOL

Anyway ..... I sure do appreciate all ya'll's help!! I know I didn't do what some recommended, but like I said, if she doesn't work out for some reason, I'll be back readin this and listening more.

post-124299-0-56027500-1365675592.jpg

micky mac    14

nice buy and it sure looks cool i bet the wifes happy lol. i picked up a marshall AVT 150 watt hybrid amp about a month ago for 130 euros and i love the sound of it, thats the good thing about music and gear it only matters what you think your the one buying and playing it so your enjoyment is really all that matters. :punk:

Daddyo    5

Yer right, Mickey Mac!! My money, so my stuff!! I've worked a LOT of overtime to get what I have!!

Ya know ..... I've got the Best Wife!!! She really digs it, too!!!

Paul, I believe it's a 4X12 cab. Brother, all I do is play it and listen to the sweet (sometimes struggling) tones comin from her!!

My wife likes me to "serenade" her to sleep at night. I didn't know I was so bad that it made her pass out!! Damn.

I cranked her up to 7, this morning, (7:30am!! I work graveyard!!) and BABY!!!

THIS DAWG'LL HUNT NOW!! Played a little CCR, to get the blood pumpin, and was VERY successful!!!

My neighbors are used to stuff like that from me. I used to wake the whole neighborhood with my Harley sportin ground pounders, at 6:15am!!! (Worked day shift then!!)

ANYWAY ..... Thanx again, Guys for y'all's input!! I'm REALLY havin a blast!!! Wish I would have started 30 years ago!!!

CirrusPilot    0

Definitely look at the Bugera V5. It's a tube amp instead of solid state. No modeling features or effects other than one knob for reverb. It's a great little amp. Super load for bedroom and practicing, perfect for recording, and loud enough for small gigs.

I was in the same boat as you, wanted something less complicated. I love this little amp. $200 well spent. I play my tele on it daily.

Andy S    9

Bugera has had some good reviews as for the sound & tone. Only bad comments that I've seen are that Behringer (the manufacturer) rates the power higher than they actually run. I played through one (used) at a small music store and it had nice tone. I was told the reason the original owner traded it in was it didn't have the power to keep up with the bass and the other guitar player. It was rated around 100 w as were the other guys amps, but he said he was still drowned out by theirs.

So, keep that in mind. Are you going to be playing with other musicians and at what volume. You don't want to invest in something then not have enough oomph!

But then, if you aren't playing out (gigging) you may not want TOO much power.