tinyE

Acoustic dmage

tinyE    3

My acoustic appears to have a crack in it, I'm guessing from age and the temp fluctuation where I live. Is there anything I can or should do to remedy this? The sound doesn't appear to be effected then again as a relative beginner I'm not really great at detecting slight variances in tonal quality.

A similar thing happened to my Fender electric last week and I thought that was from the temperature but it turned out to be a result of my setting fire to it and slamming it repeatedly on the stage.

gasbag    54

If it was my guitar it would depend on three things.

1. How much did the guitar cost?

2. How much do I like the guitar?

3. Where the crack is located. Some cracks can be left alone.

If it was inexpensive I would watch the crack. It may never progress.

If it did progress I would replace the guitar as it might cost more to fix it than repair it.

If I really liked the guitar I would have it repaired if the cost did not exceed the price of a new one.

As an example, I have an old Fender acoustic. It cracks it goes bye bye and gets replaced.

It's a good old guitar but it has more problems than I do. I won't crack, it might explode.

I also have a Breedlove. It cracks and I would send it to the Mayo Clinic to get it fixed.

If you have a reputable luthier in your area I am sure they would look at it no charge just to give you

and idea what the situation is.

Concerning your Fender electric, if you give me your mailing address I will send you a fire extinguisher and a bottle of glue.

mset3    158

tinyE,

Maintaining proper humidity can be a problem for an acoustic guitar. I use Planet Waves's Humidipak. It maintains the humidity at around 45% RH and you don't have to worry about it. The double pack goes in the sound hole and another one goes behind the head stock. You do have to keep the guitar in the closed case when not playing it. When the packs start to harden, change them out and you are ready to go. Here's a link to the Amazon.com page:

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Humidipak-Automatic-Humidity-Control/dp/B000OMG0KI

Mike