Ghomes

What is a good beginner guitar?

Ghomes    0

I've always wanted to play the guitar and now I'm going to buy one. I've read that acoustic is easier to start with, so I'm going with that. Is there any you can recommend for around 200 bucks? If the difficulty is the same with regard to electric guitar, is there a electric guitar you can recommend as a beginner?

gasbag    54

My first guitar was/is a Fender Sonoran. It is slightly above $200 at around $299.

I can't think of an acceptable guitar for around $200 but I am sure others will mention a few.

The less expensive ones are often harder to play and tend to need a bit more care after a while.

My Fender was not too bad to play when I bought it. Everything was good and fingering was fairly easy.

Now, a bunch of years later it is one of my favorite "drag along" guitars. I did a setup on it myself which turned out

better than expected and it plays much better than a $300 guitar has a right to.

This of course is just my opinion. However if I had to buy my first guitar all over again I would pick another Sonoran in a heartbeat.

RolandC    8

The ideal beginner guitar is the one that will inspire you to actually pick it up and practice.

At the $200 and under price point, there's not likely to be any great of difference in quality, so pick the one that feels the most comfortable and gets you excited about playing.

As for acoustic vs. electric, it's somewhat harder to play acoustic because acoustics generally use thicker strings and have a higher action (the distance between the strings and the fretboard) and so require more force to fret properly.

Fixitguy74    1

I have a First Act electric that came with a mini amp and cord. It was under $100 for the whole combo from Toys R Us. Now I'm sure someone who has played a while and has a good ear will tell you it doesn't sound as good as a bigger name, more expensive brand, but for this beginner it sounds good enough (unless you crank the tiny amp up to high) to inspire me to continue to play and maybe some day upgrade to a better six stringer. They even have a few styles to choose from as seen here http://www.firstact.com/instruments/guitars The one I have is the black one with gray trim and flames. The Arrow model shown was the same price I believe and was available in black and red.

pHGTRSpider    32

And of course the disadvantage with starting with an electric is it will pick up all the noisy mistakes and amplifly them as well. Also you're spending money on more than just a guitar (i.e. amp, leads, ...). Find a nice acoustic, you may find you're still playing it 20 years down the track. I've had my 2nd hand maton for nineteen. And my second hand yamaha nylon string classical for almost forty years.