tinsmith

Volume cuts out

tinsmith    2

I have a Marshall AVT 50.....& rarely play out & am guilty for letting it sit unused for long periods of time.

Anyway, when I finally do decide to play, I'll be pickin' away & the sound would die.....cut out & you could hardly hear it......It may do this several times intermittently and stay off for several minutes & then stay on & never give me any trouble. When it happens the amp is already pretty well warmed up.....

Is that the key...let it warm up for a long time.

Last night warmed it up for a long time & no problems.

I know there is one tube for the preamp....could it time to replace it?

In general, it hasn't been played to it's full extent....

fly135    5

Sorry for the slow reply. I have seen this quite a bit where the cause is cracked solder joints on the pots and jacks. They need to be resoldered. You can try spraying the pots with DeOxit as well.

tinsmith    2

Sorry for the slow reply. I have seen this quite a bit where the cause is cracked solder joints on the pots and jacks. They need to be resoldered. You can try spraying the pots with DeOxit as well.

Thanks,\....any chance of if being the preamp tube......the one tube it has,,,

tinsmith    2

Thanks,\....any chance of if being the preamp tube......the one tube it has,,,

fly135    5

I have seen a lot of cutting out problems caused by cracked solder joints. The pots and jacks are attached to both the circiut board and front panel. This causes a lot of stress on the solder pads when the amp is moved around. Also pots and jacks get dirty and can cause the same problem. My advice... get some DeOxit spray (good for guitar pots a switches as well), open the cabinet, and spray the pots. The backside of the pots usually have small openings. Work the pots when wet. The spray will dry pretty quick.

If that doesn't work you can reflow the solder on the jacks and pots to eliminate cracks. The cracks can be too fine to see without a magnifying glass.