Stu74

Anyone here use any Cakewalk products?

Stu74    35

I have just installed a free version of Sonar Le a few days ago but im really struggling getting to learn my way around it.I have been advised to buy Music creator 6 as it is a bit more strait forward and has better instructions/tutorials on how to use it.

The tutorial is useless for my version of sonar le.

I just wonderd if anyone here uses any cakewalk stuff and what they think.

eddiez152    129

There are so many recording software products out there.

I use Garage Band for Mac.

But also have:

Logic Studio

Reaper

Audacity

MixCraft 4

Song Frame

Magix music

Digital Performer 6

Some have features it would take years to learn how to use.

Stu74    35

What ive done Eddie is bought a roland tri capture which comes with what i believe is a more stripped down vesion of sonar x1.

I installed it all with no problems and recorded my electric guitar and vocals within no time through the tri capture.

Now i just want to do simple things like adding a drum beat to my playing.It has got loads of pre recorded drum samples that i can add but i really want to create my own but cant find out how to do it.

Last night i spent a bit of time playing around with it trying to figure things out but it is such hard work.I found a drum sample i liked to add to my rythm guitar recording but wanted to speed the drums up slightly.The only way i could find to speed up the tempo was to speed up the whole thing which included my guitar recording.

It isnt just that though everything about the program seems to be so complicated.

eddiez152    129

Stu,

It does not work that way. Unless you are doing a raw recording like playing and singing etc. adding a drum beat to fit is almost impossible. If by a miracle you could have been right on the money in timing of your playing you might have a chance. Highly unlikely for any of us.

Here is how it works.

1. Pick your drum style or beat.

2. Record and play to it, speed up or slow down to your liking and save. The drum beat are most likely midi created. I do have programs that will change live recording tempos. Yours might too.

3. Save the beat as the master

4. Play and record to the drummer once you have selected your groove.

I am pretty sure there is no way around it.

Now if you want to add your own beat to what you have already played. The create a new track and start with a kick drum following your playing.

Then add a tom or snare dependent on the beats you require in another track and so on. You may come very close and remember you can cut and paste the slightly off beat sections where needed.

Trust me, it really all starts out with the drum beat or click track first. Trust me, I've been there.

eddiez152    129

I might add, playing to a click track or drum beat is not as easy as one thinks when your beginning. If you listen to and track recordings you will find a slight drift in timing and may have a lot to do with the groove they are after and not perfect timing which can feel very robotic in music.

Stu74    35

Thanks for the link Mike i will have a play around see if i can do what its telling me.

Eddie that is a massive help.I am trying to do things the wrong way round then.

I will give that a try once i get my tri capture.

I only had it for half an hour the other night to try out before my wife took it and wrapped it up for me for christmas.At the moment i just have a short little sample of my guitar playing to mess around with.

eddiez152    129

Stu,

I do hope that cleared up everything. Now lets say I'm with friends and playing around and one of them happens to be a real drummer. He would be able to follow me while I'm playing even if I'm off a little. Vise versa, I would play to his drum beat and so on.

Now if everything is correct, there is software that can within reason speed up or down the entire set of tracks but not recommend.

Stu74    35

Yeh cheers Eddie.

I just thought it would have been a very easy thing to be able to speed up or slow down individual tracks and then try to get them to marry up nicely so everything would be in time.

I suppose i am probably just trying to cheet a bit.

I will have to play to the drums rather than the metronome next time i record myself.Atleast i will know then if im in time or not with the drum beat.

micky mac    14

i have'nt tried sonar but i've tried a few programes i think reaper is the easiest ive used and ezdrummer works a treat with it plus theres tons of lesson videos on utube for anything reaper related.

eddiez152    129

Stu,

Your trying to do the same thing I did when I first started recording. I just can't be done. Most recordings follow a click track or a drum track for timing. I wish it were easier too. But you will get there in time. I prefer using a drum track to play to.

good luck,

eddie

Stu74    35

I downloaded Audacity earlyer today and had a play around with it.It is a much more basic and simple programme than Sonar by far.Im sure Sonar is great for people that already have experience with these sorts of programes.

I think i will use Audacity for now and keep going back to Sonar and hopefully over time i will be able to understand it better.

eddiez152    129

Stu,

Good idea to start with the basic. In order to record in any program.

1. Start a new track.

a. midi ?

b. real sounds ?

2. Set record level at 0 and (arm) the track the little red ready to record light and check input sound level.

3. Hit Big red record button

4. Do it over and over until you are satisfied with what you have.

In track one create a drum track or import a drum track

In track two play your instrument

One other thing... Record in MONO and listen to previous track on head phones on. No speakers. That comes in the end when you want to hear all the tracks. MUTE the ones you don't want to hear.

eddiez152    129

If you have a mp3 drum track you like save it on your desktop then drag it into Audacity. You can record the tracks from the other program and save to desktop or give an example of one you like.

Just hit me. Search for a midi you like and let me know which one.

Stu74    35

Eddie i found a drum track that i liked and imported it to Audacity.Ive been recording a nice little ryhthm pattern to go with it.Its been good fun all afternoon trying to get a good take with no mistakes.

I also had a couple of backing tracks of some of my favourite songs that i like to play which i have now converted to mp3 and imported them.

At the moment the only recording i can do is using the built in mic on my laptop so its not the best quality sound but atleast it gets me familiar using Audacity and hopefully as time goes by i become more comfortable with the record button. Its a amazing how i can play something pretty good 10 times in a row and then as soon as the record button is pressed my brain turns to mush and my fingers tie themselves in knots.

20 days time i will have the tri capture and microphone so i should be able to record decent quality sound.Only my voice and guitar playing will let me down then.

eddiez152    129

Its a amazing how i can play something pretty good 10 times in a row and then as soon as the record button is pressed my brain turns to mush and my fingers tie themselves in knots.

20 days time i will have the tri capture and microphone so i should be able to record decent quality sound.Only my voice and guitar playing will let me down then.

I can help but laugh when I read this part. If you had any idea how many times that happens. There are times when I just want to play and record and wish I had a foot peddle to step on so my head doesn't know I touched it. Or start the recording button and start playing and let it go for 5 minutes to forget about it but that don't work either.

All the best on your recoding fun.