drmcclainphd

Good, Cheap, Transportable Straps

A few years ago I picked up a DiMarzio strap that had quick-disconnect clips to make it easy to get on and off unclip it rather than lift over your head), but also so you could get additional ends to put on other guitars and swap the strap between them. Good idea, and $20 a good price. But there can be better than good if you're willing to put out the effort.

I went to Walmart and in the outdoor/sports section picked up a very comfy Winchester rifle sling with a nicely padded shoulder piece on standard 1" flat nylon straps, a package of 6 foot of 1" strap that had a single quick disconnect clip (two pieces, male/female, prong/socket, etc.) and two packages of extra clips, two complete clips (both ends) to a box. So I had a strap, 5 clips and plenty of extra strap.

I took one clip and put each part on the ends of the strap. Doesn't matter whether the prong or socket is closer to the neck, it's just that once you start one way all the rest will need to be made that way. Next I cut the extra strap into six 1 foot lengths. On these I coated an inch on one end with super glue gel and folded it over, then coated that 1" piece folded over with more glue, and folded it over again, to make an end 3 layers thick. I clamped those with vice-grip pliers and let them dry overnight. The next day I drilled a 1/16" hole through the triple thickness parts. Then I took another clip, and put one piece on each of a pair of the folded over "end" straps, and connected them to the main rifle sling part.

I pulled the strap buttons off one guitar, put the screws through the small hole I'd drilled, and replaced the buttons in order to screw the strap ends tight onto the guitar. The buttons served as washers, and to keep the screws from stripping I put a drop of super glue gel into the hole before replacing the screw. But the glue has to go in the hole, not on the guitar surface so the strap ends will be free to rotate on the button screw.

Once on the guitar, I adjusted the clips so the sling was well placed on my shoulder and the clips were at places easy to reach while wearing it. Each clip end is adjustable -- it can be placed anywhere up and down the strap and then stay in place -- it it was easy to find my best length and position. Then I trimmed off the excess strap, and it was done.

Next, I took another pair of ends, put the two parts of a clip on them, and attached them to a second guitar, making sure to place the same end (male/female, prong/socket) in the same position (neck/bridge) as on the first guitar. I took the sling and hooked it up, then adjusted and trimmed the second set of ends. I repeated this on a third guitar.

At this point I had a very nice, comfortable, no-slip strap that could attach to any of three guitars. I had two clips left, but had used up the 1 foot end sections. Kind of. I'd ended up trimming off half the end pieces each time, leaving me six more end pieces, enough for 3 more guitars, and had clips enough for two. I didn't need them yet, but they're waiting until I do.

One brand name strap, $20, extra ends would have cost $10 each pair/guitar.

One home grown strap, much more comfortable than the brand name, with connections on 3 guitars ands parts for 2 more, $15 total.

Thanks for sharing. You should post some pictures.

No sooner said than do'ed, d00d.

This is Henry, my spider rez, in for some minor surgery on his single coil pickup circuit, and happened to be wearing the strap when he came in.

Here's the south (bridge) end showing strap connected.

post-123394-0-40696600-1354378915.jpg

Then the strap laying on Henry's back.

post-123394-0-66672300-1354378913.jpg

then the north end.

post-123394-0-70998400-1354378914.jpg

Finally the strap itself removed and hanging from a door frame.

post-123394-0-12109400-1354378916.jpg

Kittens not included.