lucy

guitar for small hands

lucy    0

I have an average sized frame for a 25 year old girl but very small hands. I really want to learn the guitar. I think the kind i want to but is an acoustic... I think this is best for the stuff i want to learn.

I have talked with a few differnt people about what i should buy to help with my small handedness (is that i word??).

One person reconmended the Daisy Rock guitars. But i'm somewhat iffy on what the quality of these will be, and they also seem like the kinda thing a 10 year old would get for their birthday.

Another piece of advice i had was the electro-acoustic guitars have a thinner neck than regular acoustic guitars and so getting one of those might suit me better.

If anyone can give me a little advice on what i should be buying i would really apreciate it. Do some makes have thinner necks like some brands of shoe are wider fitting? Or would buying a smaller childs size instrument be a good road to go down? how would this impact of sound? I plan to go to a store soon and see how some sound and feel. But a little knowledge before i go in there can't hurt.

Sorry if this is a little jumbled. Kinda how i'm feeling...

Thanks in advance

Lucy

allthumbs    8

I don't think you would be happy with daisyrock. They distort like crazy. I have a friend who sells good quality guitars for low prices for beginners. He deals with kids and adults with small hands. Go to his site, take a look.

http://stores.ebay.com/Nineveh-Guitars_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQdptZ0QQfclZ4QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I have left him a message at another forum. I will add his email when I get it. I don't see it on at his store.

bluesguy    0

It is a good idea to take some time when going to look for a guitar. Do you have a friend or acquantance who plays guitar? If you do see if they will let you sit down with one of their guitars and show you a few chords. There is some more advice at my website for beginning guitarists:

http://www.jcdisciples.org/guitar/beginning.html

Hope this helps.

allthumbs    8

heres his email address. He specializes in students and people who are buying their first guitars. Tell him allthumbs says hi. He can give you solid advice. good luck

lucy    0

Well tomorrow will be an emotional day. I'm taking the first instrument i owned (a clarinet from when i was 7) and trading it in for my first guitar.

Thanks for all the advice. I've decided to go and but an instrument from music shop and not online as i think it will be best to be able to see and hear what i'm getting. Even though i would probably get a better deal on the internet.

Feeling a little nervous as i'm not sure what i really want and i know once i get in there i will fall in love with something i can't afford.

I'll let you know what I get.

Lucy

lucy    0

I really wish i did have someone to take with me. Seems they are kinda think on the ground in the UK. One of the guys who works in my local music store used to play in a folk group i sing with so i kinda trust him. I'll just have to try not to buy one just because it's pretty- (note to self guitars are not like shoes :oops: )

allthumbs    8

so how did it go? Hope you found one that spoke to you. I have a NormanB30. They don't even make that model anymore. My first real guitar. It has been one of my best friends for 30 years. I can afford a better guitar but, it wouldn't feel right. It plays great and can still take a lot of pounding. I hope you have as much luck with yours.

lucy    0

I went for a Tanglewood TD8. I haven't stopped playing it, my fingers hurt so much. I think i got a good deal. I tried some of the lower priced makes and models- but they didn't sound good. The tanglewood sounded great and felt sturdy so i went for it.

I've broken a string already though- it cut my finger too :cry: so now i have the scary task of changing that...

oh i still have my clarinet too- i just couldn't part with it. :roll:

allthumbs    8

haha, sounds like your clarinet is one of your old friends too. You broke a string. It can happen.Defective string. How are you tuning your guitar,sometimes the tuning starts creeping up when you keep tuning the strings against themselves instead of with an external source. I check my tuning every day or two. When you start doing bends, the tuning can go out so it's a good idea to check it often. If you break another string soon and the tuning is'nt too high,you may have to get the guitar adjusted. I am glad you found a guitar you are happy with. Now you have two music makers,you can get some recording software and a cheap mic and do a clarinet,guitar duo. We will want to hear clips. Have fun.

bluesguy    0
I've broken a string already though- it cut my finger too :cry: so now i have the scary task of changing that...

Congrats on the new guitar. Sounds like a winner.

On my website there are links on how to string a guitar. Since you will have to go to the store to buy strings you can just ask them to do it for you (most shops will restring a guitar for you while you wait if you buy the strings from them). :wink:

lucy    0

Bought a new string and snapped it. Yup i know i should have bought more than one. My fave guy is working there on thursday so i think i will go back and ask for a lesson on string changing!!!

I'm slowly building a 'how to' guide on my blog page for my myspace.com page, but I intend on doing a video demo of a string change. D'Addario has one on their site but it's shot from too far away and it goes to fast to really be of any use to someone trying to learn how to do it.

bluesguy    0

UGB,

That would be fantastic. When you get it done let me know so I can add a link from my beginner guitar player webpage to your site.

lucy    0

I think the string got kinked and then when i tightened it it just snapped. :( I guess i'll get it right next time and i won't make the mistake of buying only one string.

How much should i expect to pay for a string? I payed £1 (one british pound)- it seemed kinda cheap to me. Am i getting really bad quality strings, the guy in the store didn't ask me what kind i wanted- he just kinda grunted, threw it on the counter and took my money- i love polite helpful people :roll:

UGB i checked out your blog. Haven't read much of it yet but it looks cool. And by the way my guitar is shiney as can be and i love it :D maybe when i have been playing it for 20 years the shine will wear off and it will be a perfect 'older persons' guitar.

That sounds expensive to me, I think. I mean I don't sell individual strings, only packs and I'll break open a new pack to grab one string and put it on for someone like you. A little kindness goes a long way. :wink:

I'll see if I can't get my wife to video a string change and get something going.

allthumbs    8
I think the string got kinked and then when i tightened it it just snapped. :( I guess i'll get it right next time and i won't make the mistake of buying only one string.

How much should i expect to pay for a string? I payed £1 (one british pound)- it seemed kinda cheap to me. Am i getting really bad quality strings, the guy in the store didn't ask me what kind i wanted- he just kinda grunted, threw it on the counter and took my money- i love polite helpful people :roll:

UGB i checked out your blog. Haven't read much of it yet but it looks cool. And by the way my guitar is shiney as can be and i love it :D maybe when i have been playing it for 20 years the shine will wear off and it will be a perfect 'older persons' guitar.

My Norman B30 started out a very pale blond colour. 30 years later it looks like this. Hows that for losing the shine

mormanb30.jpg

bluesguy    0
How much should i expect to pay for a string? I payed £1 (one british pound)- it seemed kinda cheap to me.

I don't know since I am in the USA. I usually buy my strings online and try to get some friends to buy strings at the same time. Spread the shipping cost around. It lowers the cost.

Am i getting really bad quality strings, the guy in the store didn't ask me what kind i wanted- he just kinda grunted, threw it on the counter and took my money- i love polite helpful people :roll:

If I was the owner of the store and that was my employee, they wouldn't be working for me after something like that.