Stu74

Active monitors?

Stu74    35

I am wanting to start recording my guitar playing soon using my laptop and a roland tri capture so ive started looking at other things i will need.1st of all i am going to upgrade my headphones and also want a set of good sounding speakers because i will sometimes want to play my recordings back for other people to here so they can give there opinion on what ive recorded without them taking turns with the headphones.

The problem is i have looked at different active studio monitors but all the ones in my price bracket have very mixed reviews and it seems to get decent ones i have to be prepaired to spend a lot of money.

So my question is am i better off paying more for really good active monitors or just buying some good computer speakers for a lot less money?

micky mac    14

wow you don't do things by half stu.Did you buy the tri capture yet, what do you think of it. Ive started trying to record a few songs this last week but i just cant get anything to sound decent im not sure if its my cheap mic or my interface (alesis io2 ) or both thats the problem. i havent got the hang of the vst settings on reaper yet maybe when i do that will help. i cant help about the monitors i just advent pc speakers.

gasbag    54

I have a pair of Alesis M1Active 520 monitors in my music/computer/oh that's where I put that room.

Their sound is excellent, adding no color of their own to the music. They are compact and you can

purchase them for under $200.

I have them hooked up to my computer via an Alesis i02 interface and it is perfect for me.

They are nothing fancy but they do a good job.

They are also contained in a very sturdy cabinet. Nothing cheap.

Stu74    35

Micky my wife ordered the tri capture it should be here monday but it is a christmas present so i wont be able to tell you how good(or bad) it is until next year.

Ive only heard good things about the io2 interface so it probably is a lot to do with your mic.

Eddie i would love some monitors like your Rockits but even used ones are way above my budget at the moment.I will post some examples of the cheaper monitors i have looked at in my budget.

Gasbag i was looking at the alesis M1 520 but these are still a little bit to much so i was concidering the smaller 320 monitors.Ihave been put off these by a lot of people having problems with them.

eddiez152    129

I took a look at the 320's. I would imagine that many of your instruments cost you more in England. Have you look into used stuff on ebay and sorts?

How are you geared up at the moment?

Stu74    35

I have been keeping a close eye on ebay and also a free local advertisement website for 2nd hand monitors but everytime i see decent monitors they do end up selling for quite a high price with lots of bidders.£100 is about as far as i can justify going up to at the moment because i am just a bigginer and am not gointg to be producing amazing music.

As far as gear for recording at the moment goes i havnt got anything yet.I have a laptop and have a Roland tri capture on order.I want to buy a decent mic for recording my accoustic and also a good set of headphones.The monitors are the last thing on my list and im just not sure if cheap ones are really worth buying.

Stu74    35

Thanks Eddie.I will keep looking on ebay and other places but i will probably end up them ones from amazon.Ive still got over a month to decide.