cdeB

questions based on a music sheet

Hello,

I have downloaded a piece of music recently to practice. (The attachment)

I have some questions about itMusic.pdf, hope you can help me.

1. What are the numbers above the notes?

2. The time signature is 6/8 but the duration of the beats are not 6/8. Is it mistake or I am mistaken?

3.The tempo is 58, but what is that doted-quarter note

Thank you

cdeB,

1. The numbers above the notes appear to be fingering positions on a piano.

2. The time signature is correct. Each eight note gets one beat and there are six beats to each measure.

3. The dotted quarter note means, if you set your metronome to 58, the metronome will click on the first and fourth beat (every three beats).

Mike

G'day cdeB,

One problem with sheet music is that there's not hard and fast requirements. Each writer presents the way he wants to. What you as the reader have to do is try to work out what the writer means, and just use that part of the music that matters to you.

As I've said before, much sheet music is written for piano or guitar, with the reader having to choose the parts he or she needs.

Guitar music is frequently written with numbers above the notes. If the number is in a circle it indicates the string the note is played on. If the number isn't in a circle it shows which finger of your fretting (left) hand is used to play the note. The fingers of your picking (right) hand aren't numbered. They have letters to identify them. p is your thumb, i your index finger, m is your middle finger and a is your ring finger. Your pinky doesn't get a mention because you won't be expected to use except in Flamenco music. Strings aren't indicated for your picking hand because it's normal practise to use your thumb for the lower three strings and your three fingers for the three high strings , i for g string, m for b string and a for e string.

Mike suggests your music may have been written for piano practice, and I have no argument with that. If it wasn't, well who knows?

Time signatures can be a bit confusing. The 6/8 is really only saying to count six beats in that measure. Beginners are forgiven if thay're not particularly accurate, so please don't get hung up on too much detail. In the first bar your first note counts two beats, the next two count one beat each and the last note counts two beats. If I was your teacher I'd be looking for you to be comfortable recognising the notes and finding them quickly on the fretboard. As you see more sheet music you'll be able to recognise note values and get your timing better. While little exercises like this one might be good for the fingers, I much prefer to see students playing melodies they're familiar with. They're much more meaningful.

Keep in touch.

cdeB,

I agree with Karcey. From your other post it sounds like you are just starting out on the guitar. Learn songs you are familiar with and have a lot of fun.

Mike

One thing you can try is to install free Tux Guitar. Then set the time signature to match your sheet music, add the notes to match the sheet music, and click play. With a bit of practice you can work out how to do that at Tux Guitar, using the various option provided.

For a short piece like this one, it shouldn't take too long. It gives you an idea of how it should sound, more or less. It's a good way to 'hear' the music when you are a beginner and cannot 'read' and imagine how a piece of sheet music might sound.

I had a quick go at tabbing the first few bars out in Tux Guitar. Not all the timings are right. For some reason their software refused to make the notes the length of note that I told them to. Which meant there is a whole note missing in bar 4, and bar 5 note length/timing is not right either.

Maybe if someone has the guitar pro or an updated version of Tux there will be less bugs in their software.

It gives you an idea at least.cdeb sheet music copy.gp4

Hi, can anyone tell me how to play 1/3C1 please? I take it it's a third bar chord, but the notes given in the music can't be barred! The notes showing are F (fret 1, string 1) F (fret 4, string 4) and A (fret 2, string 3)